Anyone with a lawsuit against USCIS or thinking about a lawsuit (Merged)

paz1960 said:
You didn't screw up, you have 120 days from the date of filing your complaint to serve the defendants and the US Attorney's Office. But the time (60days) will start ticking only after you served the US Attorney's Office.

Paz it may be little different in different districts when clock starts for 60 days. My AUSA just filed 30 day extension on Friday and one thing he specifically mentioned in the extension is that last defendent was served Dec 5th so he has sizty days till feb 4th and then another thirty day extension till March 3rd.

I served AUSA on Nov 21st and I have green slip for that date but he counted time since last defendent was served Dec 5th (that is the date when USCIS director office stamped on back of green slip) According to USPS online tracking they received it on Nov 25th but they took 10 days to stamp green slip.

I was always under the impression that 60 days start when AUSA receive complaint. I guess I was wrong.

Judge already ordered the motion to extend time so I believe he agrees with AUSA about timings. It is not a big deal I am not planning to put my relations with AUSA in Jeapardy just due to 10 extra days.

One thing He mentioned in extensions of time is that FBI acknowledged him that background check will be done within next 30 days so that I think is good thing.

What delay is unreasonable?

I was reading some cases and posts here, but could not find a clear observation on what is considered an "unreasonable delay", where an agency has the duty to act. It's kind of clear to me that while FBI namecheck is pending, USCIS has no duty to act, as doing so would be against the law.

However, FBI has a duty to act as well. Do you have any observations regarding the following:
1. Whether 1.5 years of waiting for FBI is likely to support a claim of unreasonable delay? Or it has to be over 2 years? Or what's the gudeline?
2. Are there any issues with having FBI as a defendant, given that there is no direct contact between the plaintiff and FBI? In other words, why not everybody includes FBI as a defendant?
3. Are you aware of any cases where a plaintiff would sue FBI for negligence as well? In some regard, we could say that FBI has neglected their duty of care if they did not process a namecheck request in 1 year... It's not clear what we would claim as the damages here, though.
4. Did anyone bring to the court's attention that similar numbers of the same FBI namechecks are performed for the Department Of State, and those checks are *never* delayed... See http://www.fbi.gov/congress/congress04/garrity022504.htm , http://www.fbi.gov/congress/congress03/garrity071003.htm

Any insights are greatly appreciated...

wenlock said:
Paz it may be little different in different districts when clock starts for 60 days. My AUSA just filed 30 day extension on Friday and one thing he specifically mentioned in the extension is that last defendent was served Dec 5th so he has sizty days till feb 4th and then another thirty day extension till March 3rd.

I served AUSA on Nov 21st and I have green slip for that date but he counted time since last defendent was served Dec 5th (that is the date when USCIS director office stamped on back of green slip) According to USPS online tracking they received it on Nov 25th but they took 10 days to stamp green slip.

I was always under the impression that 60 days start when AUSA receive complaint. I guess I was wrong.

Judge already ordered the motion to extend time so I believe he agrees with AUSA about timings. It is not a big deal I am not planning to put my relations with AUSA in Jeapardy just due to 10 extra days.

One thing He mentioned in extensions of time is that FBI acknowledged him that background check will be done within next 30 days so that I think is good thing.
You are right about not arguing with AUSA about the start of the 60 days. Your interest is to have your case solved by the end of this whole ordeal.

And I admit, it is possible that the Local Rules are different. But I thought that when something is clearly regulated by the Federal Rules of Civil Procedures, there is no room for different interpretation. Seems, that I was wrong. Here is what the FRCP say about when starts the 60 days counting:

Rule 12.Defenses and Objections--When and How Presented--By Pleading or Motion--Motion for Judgment on the Pleadings

(a) When Presented.
(3)(A) The United States, an agency of the United States, or an officer or employee of the United States sued in an official capacity, shall serve an answer to the complaint or cross-claim - or a reply to a counterclaim - within 60 days after the United States attorney is served with the pleading asserting the claim.

igor_ch said:
I was reading some cases and posts here, but could not find a clear observation on what is considered an "unreasonable delay", where an agency has the duty to act. It's kind of clear to me that while FBI namecheck is pending, USCIS has no duty to act, as doing so would be against the law.

However, FBI has a duty to act as well. Do you have any observations regarding the following:
1. Whether 1.5 years of waiting for FBI is likely to support a claim of unreasonable delay? Or it has to be over 2 years? Or what's the gudeline?
2. Are there any issues with having FBI as a defendant, given that there is no direct contact between the plaintiff and FBI? In other words, why not everybody includes FBI as a defendant?
3. Are you aware of any cases where a plaintiff would sue FBI for negligence as well? In some regard, we could say that FBI has neglected their duty of care if they did not process a namecheck request in 1 year... It's not clear what we would claim as the damages here, though.
4. Did anyone bring to the court's attention that similar numbers of the same FBI namechecks are performed for the Department Of State, and those checks are *never* delayed... See http://www.fbi.gov/congress/congress04/garrity022504.htm , http://www.fbi.gov/congress/congress03/garrity071003.htm

Any insights are greatly appreciated...
Check the cases mentioned in the following part from an Opposition to a Motion to Dismiss in a lawsuit based on 1447(b) [Naturalization]:

A. If The Court Finds That It Lacks Subject Matter Jurisdiction, Plaintiff Requests Leave To Amend The Complaint To State Claims Under The Mandamus Act And The Administrative Procedures Act.

The Mandamus Act gives federal District Courts original jurisdiction "over any action in the nature of mandamus to compel an officer or employee of the United States or any agency thereof to perform a duty owed to the plaintiff" 28 U.S.C. § 1361. Likewise, the Administrative Procedures Act ("APA"), at 5 U.S.C. § 701, et seq., in combination with 28 U.S.C. § 1331, provides federal district courts with the jurisdiction to "compel agency action unlawfully withheld or unreasonably delayed". Hu v. Reno, Case No. 3-99-CV-1136-BD, 2000 WL 425174 (N.D. Tex. Apr. 8, 2000). As discussed above USCIS has a non-discretionary duty to adjudicate Plaintiff’s N-400 naturalization application within a reasonable time. See Alkenani v. Barrows, 356 F. Supp. 2d at 656, 657 (N.D. Tex. 2005). This reasonable time for the instant case is clearly defined in 8 U.S.C. § 1447(b) as being 120 days. More than two years passed since Plaintiff was examined by USCIS. This is 6 times more than the statute-prescribed 120 days. Other courts have held that, when USCIS fails to make a determination of a timely filed petition within a reasonable period of time, subject matter jurisdiction exists under the Mandamus Act or the APA. See Elkhatib v. Bulter, No. 04-22407, 2005 US Dist. Lexis 22858 (S.D. Fla. June 6, 2005); Paunescu v. INS, 76 F. Supp.2d at 901 (N.D. Ill, 1999); Yu v. Brown, 36 F. Supp. 2d 922, 925 (D.N.M. 1999); Agbemaple v. INS, No. 97-8547, 1998 WL 292441 (N .D. Ill. May 18, 1998) (“a contrary position would permit INS to delay indefinitely”), Iddir v. INS, 301 F 3d, 492, 500 (7th Cir., 2002) (“the relevant statues and regulations confirm that the INS did have the duty to adjudicate the appellants’ applications in a reasonable period of time”); Abdel Razik v. Perryman, No 2-CV-05189 (N.D. Ill. Aug. 6, 2003).

Furthermore, 8 U.S.C. § 1571(b) clearly lays down the parameters of reasonableness in immigration adjudications, stating:
“…It is the sense of Congress that the processing of an immigration benefit application should be completed not later than 180 days after the initial filing of the application.”
USCIS, a Government agency and one of the Defendants, is attempting to justify its inaction in connection with Plaintiff’s N-400 applications by reference to the inaction of another Government agency, FBI, the other Defendant in this case. This circular reasoning fails to acknowledge the Government’s statutory obligations to timely adjudicate timely filed applications. 8 U.S.C. § 1447(b) (120 days after naturalization interviews).
“When Congress by organic statute sets a specific deadline for agency action, neither the agency nor any court has discretion. The agency must act by the deadline. If it withholds such timely action, a reviewing court must compel the action unlawfully withheld. To hold otherwise would be an affront to our tradition of legislative supremacy and constitutionally separated powers.” Forest Guardians v. Babbitt, 164 F.3d 1261, 1272 (10th Cir. 1998).

In Alkenani v. Barrows, 356 F. Supp. 2d at 656, 657 (N.D. Tex. 2005), the judge said:
" However, the court is not convinced that the 15-month delay in deciding petitioner's appeal is unreasonable under the unique circumstances of this case. "

In a footnote the judge added:
Without deciding how long of a delay may be "too long" the court notes that decisions from other jurisdictions suggest that delays approximating two years may be unreasonable. See, e.g., Paunescu v. INS, 76 F. Supp.2d at 901 (N.D. Ill, 1999) (2 year delay); Yu v. Brown, 36 F. Supp. 2d 922, 925 (D.N.M. 1999) (2.5 year delay); Agbemaple v. INS, No. 97-8547, 1998 WL 292441 (N .D. Ill. May 18, 1998) (20 month delay).

To answer punctually your questions:
1. 1.5 year delay may be borderline. Two years in view what the judge in the above mentioned decision wrote, would have a higher chance to be considered unreasonable. To the best of my knowledge, there is no guideline defined in statutes or regulations what can be considered unreasoonable delay, in general.
2. I don't know, why not anybody is including FBI as defendant. In my opinion, they should be the main defendants (of course, there is no such thing that "main" and "secondary" defendant), because these cases are stalled due to FBI's inaction on the name check. People who didn't include them, reasoned like you did in the first part of your question 2. I saw a case when the judge basically said: you didn't include FBI in your list of defendants, sorry, but I can't compel them to process your name check.
3. I think that you should be happy if due to your complaint, you manage to get your name check done. I would not try to sue them for negligence and claim damages and try to get some award due to this. But to answer the question, I'm not aware of any case where Plaintiff tried this. And I personally think that it is really easy to defend this claim. There is no statue prescribed time limit to perform the name check. They will pull the necessity of careful checking everybody because 9/11 and no judge would accept that they were negligent by looking long and well to your background. Let's be realistic...
4. I have no knowledge about this.

Last edited by a moderator:
FOIPA response from the FBI

One month ago, I sent a FOIPA request to the FBI as suggested by you guys. Today I received the response from the FBI said that no records responsive to my FOIPA requesst were located by a search of the automated indices. I do not know what it means. Can any one tell me it is a good sign or bad sign? Thanks a lot.

PACER delay?

Paz, Wenlock, and all experts:

When can I find my case on PACER? I filed N400 1447B case in central CA in mid Januray and filed proof of services with usps web status a week later. Have all copies with case numbers/court clerk stamps but when I tried to look for my own case from PACER I could not find it.

Do I need to enroll in that optical scanning program to get my case listed in PACER?

Regards.

seagull009 said:
One month ago, I sent a FOIPA request to the FBI as suggested by you guys. Today I received the response from the FBI said that no records responsive to my FOIPA requesst were located by a search of the automated indices. I do not know what it means. Can any one tell me it is a good sign or bad sign? Thanks a lot.
It is certainly a good sign. This means that you were not arrested or you are not a convicted criminal. In a language used in demonstrating mathematical theorems, is called a necessary but not sufficient condition to have your "full criminal background check" completed. If FOIPA request returns "no records" this means that there is no hit in the "main" file search under your name. But doesn't say anything about possible hits in the "reference" file system. The whole process is rather opaque, FBI would not reveal details why is a positive hit during somebody's name check, wwhat this information contains, how this name check is done in details, etc.

In plain English, it is good that your FOIPA request returned "no record" but it will not help you a bit to get closer to the completion of your name check process. It's just a piece of exhibit in your case, not necessary critical.

cacd07 said:
Paz, Wenlock, and all experts:

When can I find my case on PACER? I filed N400 1447B case in central CA in mid Januray and filed proof of services with usps web status a week later. Have all copies with case numbers/court clerk stamps but when I tried to look for my own case from PACER I could not find it.

Do I need to enroll in that optical scanning program to get my case listed in PACER?

Regards.
I have no knowledge what is this optical scanning program. In my district I didn't have to enroll in anything; I simply filed the complaint with the exhibits in paper form, they scanned these documents and after couple of days it showed up on PACER. The easiest way to find out why you can't see your case on PACER (besides getting an answer here on the forum from somebody in the same district, who already passed this stage) call the clerk's office and ask them this question.

paz1960 said:
Welcome back Bushmaster,
The imminent deployment seems that it is still a criteria for expedite request for the name check. Did you try to send a letter to USCIS with a supporting evidence from your military superiors about this possible deployment?

Yes Paz, I sent two letters myself with certified mail and congressmen sent my memorandum indicating imminent deployment, I have less than 5 months, I have to make a decision in order to go federal court or not.

On another thought, I am also planning to go public with this, as you see, there is already one newspaper article, but I want to spread this more. My advantage is being in the military and about to deploy to war. I would like to try newspapers, radios (like NPR) and tv stations (I hope FOX) ...

Now that you are done, (and of course gratulálunk (?)) are you planning to hang around here?

Because I will be gone until almost Nov 2008! By the I am back, you might be gone here and you are my main source of information, I am faithful that as long as I follow your steps, I might be able to get my stuff resolved. I will keep in touch while I am deployed.

Paz, by the way, I have got an email dated Dec. 7 from the ATL congressional liaison saying that s/he submitted a request that background check be expedited due to my imminent deployment... I have heard nothing since then!

needsolution said:
How do you know that they want to videotape you in this second interview? Did the notice that you received say that they will videotape you in this second interview?

Yes. Usually there are 2 to 3 officers interviewing. On average 2nd interview takes 2-3 hours.

wenlock said:

If they ask for extension than its a great sign. I have heard several times here in this blog and two of my friends also had same situation and they both got approved in response to this lawsuit. Unlike me where US Attorney first filed motion to dismiss and than rebuttal in response to my appeal. Now I have been scheduled for second interview next month which will be video taped.

paz1960 said:
You are right about not arguing with AUSA about the start of the 60 days. Your interest is to have your case solved by the end of this whole ordeal.

And I admit, it is possible that the Local Rules are different. But I thought that when something is clearly regulated by the Federal Rules of Civil Procedures, there is no room for different interpretation. Seems, that I was wrong. Here is what the FRCP say about when starts the 60 days counting:

Rule 12.Defenses and Objections--When and How Presented--By Pleading or Motion--Motion for Judgment on the Pleadings

(a) When Presented.
(3)(A) The United States, an agency of the United States, or an officer or employee of the United States sued in an official capacity, shall serve an answer to the complaint or cross-claim - or a reply to a counterclaim - within 60 days after the United States attorney is served with the pleading asserting the claim.

That is the sad part that law is same but different US Attornies have different understanding of law. If a US Attorney is personally against foreigners in his personal belief than he/she is going to do every thing in their power to stop us from being US Citizens. Some are more liberal than others. Like mostley in CA and NY are liberal and you will see they hardly file motion to dismiss and VA is very strict so they usually fight back till the end.

Bushmaster said:
Yes Paz, I sent two letters myself with certified mail and congressmen sent my memorandum indicating imminent deployment, I have less than 5 months, I have to make a decision in order to go federal court or not.

On another thought, I am also planning to go public with this, as you see, there is already one newspaper article, but I want to spread this more. My advantage is being in the military and about to deploy to war. I would like to try newspapers, radios (like NPR) and tv stations (I hope FOX) ...

Now that you are done, (and of course gratulálunk (?)) are you planning to hang around here?

Because I will be gone until almost Nov 2008! By the I am back, you might be gone here and you are my main source of information, I am faithful that as long as I follow your steps, I might be able to get my stuff resolved. I will keep in touch while I am deployed.

I strongly believe you should go public and let the entire country know that the guy who is protecting their freedom is not even really an American. I mentioned your case to my fellow employees today who are mainly x militery and they were really pissed why a militery person is being treated like this. If you go public you will have great public support.

whatha said:
I strongly believe you should go public and let the entire country know that the guy who is protecting their freedom is not even really an American. I mentioned your case to my fellow employees today who are mainly x militery and they were really pissed why a militery person is being treated like this. If you go public you will have great public support.

I am all motivated now... Maybe I really should... but then the jerks at INS might get pissed and deny me...

paz1960 said:
Check the cases mentioned in the following part from an Opposition to a Motion to Dismiss in a lawsuit based on 1447(b) [Naturalization]:

A. If The Court Finds That It Lacks Subject Matter Jurisdiction, Plaintiff Requests Leave To Amend The Complaint To State Claims Under The Mandamus Act And The Administrative Procedures Act.

The Mandamus Act gives federal District Courts original jurisdiction "over any action in the nature of mandamus to compel an officer or employee of the United States or any agency thereof to perform a duty owed to the plaintiff" 28 U.S.C. § 1361. Likewise, the Administrative Procedures Act ("APA"), at 5 U.S.C. § 701, et seq., in combination with 28 U.S.C. § 1331, provides federal district courts with the jurisdiction to "compel agency action unlawfully withheld or unreasonably delayed". Hu v. Reno, Case No. 3-99-CV-1136-BD, 2000 WL 425174 (N.D. Tex. Apr. 8, 2000). As discussed above USCIS has a non-discretionary duty to adjudicate Plaintiff’s N-400 naturalization application within a reasonable time. See Alkenani v. Barrows, 356 F. Supp. 2d at 656, 657 (N.D. Tex. 2005). This reasonable time for the instant case is clearly defined in 8 U.S.C. § 1447(b) as being 120 days. More than two years passed since Plaintiff was examined by USCIS. This is 6 times more than the statute-prescribed 120 days. Other courts have held that, when USCIS fails to make a determination of a timely filed petition within a reasonable period of time, subject matter jurisdiction exists under the Mandamus Act or the APA. See Elkhatib v. Bulter, No. 04-22407, 2005 US Dist. Lexis 22858 (S.D. Fla. June 6, 2005); Paunescu v. INS, 76 F. Supp.2d at 901 (N.D. Ill, 1999); Yu v. Brown, 36 F. Supp. 2d 922, 925 (D.N.M. 1999); Agbemaple v. INS, No. 97-8547, 1998 WL 292441 (N .D. Ill. May 18, 1998) (“a contrary position would permit INS to delay indefinitely”), Iddir v. INS, 301 F 3d, 492, 500 (7th Cir., 2002) (“the relevant statues and regulations confirm that the INS did have the duty to adjudicate the appellants’ applications in a reasonable period of time”); Abdel Razik v. Perryman, No 2-CV-05189 (N.D. Ill. Aug. 6, 2003).

Furthermore, 8 U.S.C. § 1571(b) clearly lays down the parameters of reasonableness in immigration adjudications, stating:
“…It is the sense of Congress that the processing of an immigration benefit application should be completed not later than 180 days after the initial filing of the application.”
USCIS, a Government agency and one of the Defendants, is attempting to justify its inaction in connection with Plaintiff’s N-400 applications by reference to the inaction of another Government agency, FBI, the other Defendant in this case. This circular reasoning fails to acknowledge the Government’s statutory obligations to timely adjudicate timely filed applications. 8 U.S.C. § 1447(b) (120 days after naturalization interviews).
“When Congress by organic statute sets a specific deadline for agency action, neither the agency nor any court has discretion. The agency must act by the deadline. If it withholds such timely action, a reviewing court must compel the action unlawfully withheld. To hold otherwise would be an affront to our tradition of legislative supremacy and constitutionally separated powers.” Forest Guardians v. Babbitt, 164 F.3d 1261, 1272 (10th Cir. 1998).

In Alkenani v. Barrows, 356 F. Supp. 2d at 656, 657 (N.D. Tex. 2005), the judge said:
" However, the court is not convinced that the 15-month delay in deciding petitioner's appeal is unreasonable under the unique circumstances of this case. "

In a footnote the judge added:
Without deciding how long of a delay may be "too long" the court notes that decisions from other jurisdictions suggest that delays approximating two years may be unreasonable. See, e.g., Paunescu v. INS, 76 F. Supp.2d at 901 (N.D. Ill, 1999) (2 year delay); Yu v. Brown, 36 F. Supp. 2d 922, 925 (D.N.M. 1999) (2.5 year delay); Agbemaple v. INS, No. 97-8547, 1998 WL 292441 (N .D. Ill. May 18, 1998) (20 month delay).

To answer punctually your questions:
1. 1.5 year delay may be borderline. Two years in view what the judge in the above mentioned decision wrote, would have a higher chance to be considered unreasonable. To the best of my knowledge, there is no guideline defined in statutes or regulations what can be considered unreasoonable delay, in general.
2. I don't know, why not anybody is including FBI as defendant. In my opinion, they should be the main defendants (of course, there is no such thing that "main" and "secondary" defendant), because these cases are stalled due to FBI's inaction on the name check. People who didn't include them, reasoned like you did in the first part of your question 2. I saw a case when the judge basically said: you didn't include FBI in your list of defendants, sorry, but I can't compel them to process your name check.
3. I think that you should be happy if due to your complaint, you manage to get your name check done. I would not try to sue them for negligence and claim damages and try to get some award due to this. But to answer the question, I'm not aware of any case where Plaintiff tried this. And I personally think that it is really easy to defend this claim. There is no statue prescribed time limit to perform the name check. They will pull the necessity of careful checking everybody because 9/11 and no judge would accept that they were negligent by looking long and well to your background. Let's be realistic...
4. I have no knowledge about this.

Excellent comments!
I only want argue one with the FBI as main defendent:
(1) A owe you money, you sue A as defendent, but A said B owe he money, if B return money to him, he will give it back to you.
(2) you can sue them both, but B said, he didn't owe you any money. He only deal with A. B also argued that the info he own is all confidential, he is not supposed to give to outside except A.
I tried my senator's office to called FBI, sometime they can provide very limited info. they said it is OK to expedite your name check if USCIS agree and sent the inquire. Definitely, you can put them in the defendent's list, but I doubt any of name check can be solved by FBI without USCIS involvement. FBI only serve USCIS as costomer, not us. I agree, the stupid methodology generated by FBI is the major road blocker, but only USCIS can move it.

whatha said:
That is the sad part that law is same but different US Attornies have different understanding of law. If a US Attorney is personally against foreigners in his personal belief than he/she is going to do every thing in their power to stop us from being US Citizens. Some are more liberal than others. Like mostley in CA and NY are liberal and you will see they hardly file motion to dismiss and VA is very strict so they usually fight back till the end.
I like put some of my comments on this:
(1) Frome a legal stand point, US Attonery is your enermy, not friend. Some of them may be nice or not nice, but for sure, they represent USCIS as goverment lawyer, which is on oppsite side.
(2)They will give USCIS General Counsel Office some suggestions to your case, basically, they will read through your complain and put you on a level of hardness to get rid of you. If you dont have much evidence or support point. They will fight hard, but o the other side, they sensing some strong case, they perfer to settle.
(3) Try to communicate with them, and make your point and listern what they think. I perfer to treat them as friend if they help me to expedite name check and settle case before going to court, their suggestion is critical for your success and I believe they also happy to see case to be settled before 60 days.
(4)USCIS will make the call to settle or fight. US district attonery have to follow the instruction of USCIS general counsel office.
(5) they are your enermy and also they are your friend, depend on how you deal with them. If they never pick up the phone and never listern to you, perpare your fight and dont put too much hope, but if you luck to have a nice person, try to deal it peaceful. Good Luck!

Thank you for your explanation, Paz1960. My name check has been pending for more than 21 months. I am planning to file the WOM. I have already done almost all the necessary requests on my name check, including the senator, congressman, infopass, and FBI, etc. So far, there is no clue for the completion of my name check. With "no record" in my FIOPA response, I am wondering whether it is time for me to file the WOM, or should I wait till my name check has passed for two years? Thanks.

paz1960 said:
It is certainly a good sign. This means that you were not arrested or you are not a convicted criminal. In a language used in demonstrating mathematical theorems, is called a necessary but not sufficient condition to have your "full criminal background check" completed. If FOIPA request returns "no records" this means that there is no hit in the "main" file search under your name. But doesn't say anything about possible hits in the "reference" file system. The whole process is rather opaque, FBI would not reveal details why is a positive hit during somebody's name check, wwhat this information contains, how this name check is done in details, etc.

In plain English, it is good that your FOIPA request returned "no record" but it will not help you a bit to get closer to the completion of your name check process. It's just a piece of exhibit in your case, not necessary critical.

myang1969 said:
Excellent comments!
I only want argue one with the FBI as main defendent:
(1) A owe you money, you sue A as defendent, but A said B owe he money, if B return money to him, he will give it back to you.
(2) you can sue them both, but B said, he didn't owe you any money. He only deal with A. B also argued that the info he own is all confidential, he is not supposed to give to outside except A.
I tried my senator's office to called FBI, sometime they can provide very limited info. they said it is OK to expedite your name check if USCIS agree and sent the inquire. Definitely, you can put them in the defendent's list, but I doubt any of name check can be solved by FBI without USCIS involvement. FBI only serve USCIS as costomer, not us. I agree, the stupid methodology generated by FBI is the major road blocker, but only USCIS can move it.
First, FBI as well as USCIS are agencies of the same Government. The bottom line is that we are sueing the Government for inaction. This was recognized in many district court orders, where the defendants collectively are called "the Government".
Name checks were solved in several cases, where the judge ordered directly FBI, or the Director of FBI or the Attorney General to complete the name check of the Plaintiff in XX days. If you can bear with me two more days, I will post my draft Opposition to Defendants' Motion to Dismiss or Remand (which, fortunately I didn't have to use), this has a full section about cases where the judge remanded the matter to USCIS, ordering the name check completion and/or adjudication in certain number of days after the date of the order. I think thatI found about 12 such cases. So I still think that it is important to put the FBI director as a defendant.

comments to the comments

myang1969 said:
I like put some of my comments on this:
(1) Frome a legal stand point, US Attonery is your enermy, not friend. Some of them may be nice or not nice, but for sure, they represent USCIS as goverment lawyer, which is on oppsite side.
(2)They will give USCIS General Counsel Office some suggestions to your case, basically, they will read through your complain and put you on a level of hardness to get rid of you. If you dont have much evidence or support point. They will fight hard, but o the other side, they sensing some strong case, they perfer to settle.
(3) Try to communicate with them, and make your point and listern what they think. I perfer to treat them as friend if they help me to expedite name check and settle case before going to court, their suggestion is critical for your success and I believe they also happy to see case to be settled before 60 days.
(4)USCIS will make the call to settle or fight. US district attonery have to follow the instruction of USCIS general counsel office.
(5) they are your enermy and also they are your friend, depend on how you deal with them. If they never pick up the phone and never listern to you, perpare your fight and dont put too much hope, but if you luck to have a nice person, try to deal it peaceful. Good Luck!
I generally agree with you. What I will say, probably is not typical and I might draw lot of dissent and counter examples. But if you understand how the system works (or doesn't work in some cases), you will realise that they are not our enemies. They are people, who have a job and they have to solve "cases".

Except the fact that my name check was on hold for more than two years, my experience with USCIS people was predominantly positive. They were nice, curteous, friendly, albeigth not very helpful in some occasions. I always treated them with respect and polite, I got the same attitude in return. About AUSA I can say the same thing.

I'm now obviously in a good mood and probably I remember mainly more positively all encounters with USCIS than they were in the reality. But my experience is that it pays off to treat people nicely. As somebody mentioned, we are just a case number, what they need to solve, they are not taking this personally. If we put ourselves in their shoes, who would you like to deal with more: a person who is polite and friendly or somebody who is already belligerant and ready for arguing? Good words, nice behaviour sometimes take you farther than a confrontation.

Probably my job and my employers made also a difference. Both during my GC application and my citizenship application I worked for two major public universities as a research scientist in the same state where the USCIS office was located. They certainly knew well both universities, the officer who interviewed us during the GC application had a relative student at the University where I was working so we had a common discussion point to start with.