Anyone with a lawsuit against USCIS or thinking about a lawsuit (Merged)

Green Slips

paz1960 said:
I used as many others USPS certified mail with return receipt requested. It worked fine for me, although the "green card" from FBI still didn't come back. But in my district court they accepted as proof of service also the USPS tracking web printouts with the "green slips" (proof of mailing). There are some courts where they actually request the signed return receipts, I'm guessing that in such places a process server can be handy, because they can obtain the signature when they deliver the complait+summons. I just assume that this service must be a lot more expensive than the USPS.

Hi Paz!
I checked with my local court and they accept only the green slips for proof of service and do not accept the USPS print outs. I have received mine from USA as well as all from Washington except from FBI. What do I need to do?

It is not a standard language (btw, there is no such thing
as a std language after all). My reading finds that
this clearly indicates that CIS has confidence in adjudicating
your case within 30 days. so be cautiously happy...

good luck

aaron13 said:
I finally got a letter from AUSA, it is a letter for a 30-day extension, but the interesting thing is that the letter says:

"The parties anticipate that this case will become moot before Defendants are required to answer the Complaint and, therefore, do not anticipate needing to request an additional extension"

I would like to know whether this indicates that the AUSA wants to settle out of the court and I will get my 485 approved within the 30 days, or this is the standard language that AUSA uses in a 30-day extension letter to buy some time (in order to fight or do whatever in their mind)?

Also, does LUD change during the WoM period? Mine does not change at all, does anyone have experience on that?

Thank you all.

sfdurrani said:
Hi Paz!
I checked with my local court and they accept only the green slips for proof of service and do not accept the USPS print outs. I have received mine from USA as well as all from Washington except from FBI. What do I need to do?
This is a very unfortunate situation, and not unique. I sent my summonses and copies of the complaint on October 24, and I still didn't receive the green card back from FBI. But my court accepted the Certificate of Service with the USPS tracking web results+green slips (the receipts I received when I mailed the letters) as proof of delivery. I don't know what can you do...

aaron13 said:
I finally got a letter from AUSA, it is a letter for a 30-day extension, but the interesting thing is that the letter says:

"The parties anticipate that this case will become moot before Defendants are required to answer the Complaint and, therefore, do not anticipate needing to request an additional extension"

I would like to know whether this indicates that the AUSA wants to settle out of the court and I will get my 485 approved within the 30 days, or this is the standard language that AUSA uses in a 30-day extension letter to buy some time (in order to fight or do whatever in their mind)?

Also, does LUD change during the WoM period? Mine does not change at all, does anyone have experience on that?

Thank you all.
I agree with Rob, there is a pretty good chance that they will adjudicate your case before the end of the 30 day extension. Besides this, you don't really have much other options. So far in each case I saw, when defendants asked an extension, the judge granted them even if the Plaintiff objected. The interest of the court is to have the case solved by the agency, without their intervention, so if defendants signal that they may be able to adjudicate your case in certain time, the judge will happily grant them the requested extension.

my experience with AUSA

I had today a meeting in person with the AUSA assigned to my case. He had a personal problem and I had to wait almost one hour after the agreed time. But unforseen things can happen to all of us and I don't have any reason to believe that he was not telling me the truth.

He was very friendly, he listened very carefully to what I was telling him, taking notes. He informed me that he contacted the Office of General Counsel of DHS as soon as he was assigned to my case. DHS told him that they already requested the expedite name check from FBI (seems to me that the memo about the criteria when USCIS can ask expedited processing of the background check really works). He called them yesterday afternoon but could leave only a message and the call was not returned as today morning when I met him. I told him that in many cases AUSA could make a real difference by contacting directly the Office of General Counsel in the FBI. He asked me if I happen to know who is in charge with the name check, in order to shorten the seach after the right person. I gave him Michael Cannon's name as the chief of the National Name Check Program. He promised that he will contact his office and call again DHS general counsel and let me know later this week what he found out.

Not much, but at least some promises and a really nice person who seemingly understood the problem and the ways how to act to terminate this case before it goes in front of the judge. We'll see...

PendingN400 said:
I was not aware of an email trail. If you have an email stating that they are willing to adjudicate by a certain date, i would file that as an exhibit and request your judge to remand the application to CIS with instructions - these instruction must include a time-bound deadline to adjudicate within 30 or 60 days (within reason). Separately though you need to ascertain whether there are any complications related to name check - if there is derogatory information, CIS will likely deny and that would still be considered adjudication.
Unfortunately, as I remember from the wording of the e-mail received by hayyyoot from the paralegal assistant of the AUSA, there is no such thing that "they are willing to adjudicate by a certain date" it is a weaker formula: something that USCIS may be able to adjudicate the application in 30 days. And I certainly understand hayyyoot's concerns that this "may be" is too uncertain, not very assuring.

I would file a counter motion (or a motion for summary judgement) in which I would state that I agree with a remand if that contains a specific instruction that USCIS should adjudicate my application in 30 days. If this doesn't happen the case will be re-opened in court. But I think that there is only a very little chance that they would risk to be held in contempt by not obeying the judge's order.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Rob and Paz

paz1960 said:
I agree with Rob, there is a pretty good chance that they will adjudicate your case before the end of the 30 day extension. Besides this, you don't really have much other options. So far in each case I saw, when defendants asked an extension, the judge granted them even if the Plaintiff objected. The interest of the court is to have the case solved by the agency, without their intervention, so if defendants signal that they may be able to adjudicate your case in certain time, the judge will happily grant them the requested extension.

Your knowledge makes me feel more relaxed. I have stuck in NC for 3 years and missed a number of career opportunities. What do you think I should do if they come back again asking for more time? Thank you.

paz1960 said:
Not much, but at least some promises and a really nice person who seemingly understood the problem and the ways how to act to terminate this case before it goes in front of the judge. We'll see...

Paz,
Thanks for posting your experience.

END of Darkness???

END of Darkness???

from http://www.immigration-law.com/
12/05/2006: USCIS Proposes to Operate Centralized Background Check Systems to Reduce Backlogs Effective 01/03/2007

The immigration and naturalization proceedings have witnessed a substantial delays in some cases because of the so-called background check delays. In naturalization proceedings, such backlog has produced a substantial number of federal district court litigation in the form of Mandamus action to force the agency to perform the job.
In order to process and adjudicate immigration proceedings, USCIS conducts three different background checks on applicants/petitioners applying for USCIS benefits: (1) A Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) Fingerprint Check, (2) a FBI Name Check, and (3) a Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Treasury Enforcement Communication System/Interagency Border Inspection System (TECS/IBIS) Name Check. In order to assist in this task, USCIS established a new
system of records that will consolidate all background check requests and results on immigration benefit applicants/petitioners. This new system of records is called the Background Check Service (BCS). The Background Check Service allows authorized U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services representatives to request background checks and access the data stored in the Background Check Service during the adjudication process in order to facilitate informed decision-making. As a centralized repository containing all background check activity, BCS will provide the status and results of background checks required for completion of immigration eligibility petitions and applicationdeterminations from one web-based system to geographically dispersed field offices. This system supports USCIS's initiatives to reduce immigration benefit/petition case backlog and provide significant efficiencies in vetting and resolving the background checks that are required for USCIS benefits. Prior to BCS, information relating to the FBI Fingerprint Checks and the FBI Name Checks were stored in the FD-258 system and FBI Query system respectively.
Information relating to the TECS/IBIS Name Checks was not stored in any system.
USCIS asserts that this consolidated and centralized Background Check Services will contribute to the reduction of backlogs. This established system of records will be effective January 3, 2007 unless comments are received that result in a contrary determination. For the full text of the notice, please click here.

Great to see you are having a good meeting with AUSA. giving FBI contact to him on site was also a
marvelous strategy, which showed how
prepared you were!

paz1960 said:
I had today a meeting in person with the AUSA assigned to my case. He had a personal problem and I had to wait almost one hour after the agreed time. But unforseen things can happen to all of us and I don't have any reason to believe that he was not telling me the truth.

He was very friendly, he listened very carefully to what I was telling him, taking notes. He informed me that he contacted the Office of General Counsel of DHS as soon as he was assigned to my case. DHS told him that they already requested the expedite name check from FBI (seems to me that the memo about the criteria when USCIS can ask expedited processing of the background check really works). He called them yesterday afternoon but could leave only a message and the call was not returned as today morning when I met him. I told him that in many cases AUSA could make a real difference by contacting directly the Office of General Counsel in the FBI. He asked me if I happen to know who is in charge with the name check, in order to shorten the seach after the right person. I gave him Michael Cannon's name as the chief of the National Name Check Program. He promised that he will contact his office and call again DHS general counsel and let me know later this week what he found out.

thank you paz1960 and pending400

Hello

Thank you for your reply

As you adviced , Iam thinking about contacting the US Attorney.
Iam hesitating because when I contacted before (4 times) . I never got to talk to him , it was his assistant , she always claimed that the US attorney is aware of case, she was professional but Unfriendly.

when I told her about expediting name check , she claimed that it is not of their authority to do so and insisted that USCIS has to wait for name check before adjudicating my case.
and after they filed the motion to dissmiss, i never contacted them again .
asd i said before , iam hesitating because I feel that the Us attorny is taking in this route because iam PRO SE and I do not want them to think that iam warried about the hearing , that is why iam contacting them again

what do u guys think?

friend, you are welcome.
Frankly, I find you really have little to
worry about for this good extension proposal. Let us
hope for the best and for now put the anxiety aside.

have a good one.

rob

aaron13 said:
Your knowledge makes me feel more relaxed. I have stuck in NC for 3 years and missed a number of career opportunities. What do you think I should do if they come back again asking for more time? Thank you.

need some info

hello gurus
i post from time time on this tread but i follow it everything that it became a habbit. :)
i am filling the 1447(b) in middle district of florida, and my lawyer didnt want to add the FBI as a defendent. he said that there is no need to. i saw some cases there the judge cant force the FBI to expedite the name check if they are not one of the defendent. so i am lost here.
and does anyone had filed in FL and got any results yet
any informations or ideas are welcomed

How to get an old case

Hi hayyyoot,
I have gotten a case that was on pacer but you can not save it. Each district has at least one vendor who keeps the data of all the past cases. You need to contact the court where the case was belongs too. Get the phone number of the vendor call them and they will send you the photo copy of the whole case. This service is very expensive. I think they charge 1.50 per page but I am not sure I have to check my record.
Thank you.

hayyyoot said:
My assistant US attorney has just asked the judge to remand the case back to the USCIS, and I already filed an oposition, and I am getting myself ready for court if need be.

My question to you is: How can I get a copy of a case if it is too old, and not posted on Pacer anymore, the government has asked the judge to refer to the case of Sze et al v. INS et al, Pacer only lists the docket dates, and doesn't offer an option to download the actual documents. I would like to study the case before I go to court (if I went to court), do you have any suggestions on how to get a copy of the complaint, and the other documents in that case??
Here is the header as listed by Pacer:

3:97-cv-00569-SC Sze, et al v. INS, et al
Samuel Conti, presiding
Date filed: 02/18/1997
Date terminated: 07/24/1997 Date of last filing: 10/22/1998

I just have a feeling that this case might not be similar to mine, since it was filed in 1997 before the writ of mandamus law was ever created.

I would realy appreciate any help in that.
Here are my details:
N400 RD 11/17/05
ID: 4/21/06
1447: 8/28/06
USA served same day
10/26/06 request for extension of time
granted by judge in few days
11/21/06 motion to remand back to USCIS based on above case
oposition filed on 11/22/06
Response due by defendants: 12/14/06
AUSA contacted me last week, and requested that I file for an emergency motion to remand because they will POSSIBLY schedule my oath ceremony on 12/15/06, however, stopped returning my calls when I emailed him and called him and requested that any motion to remand or dismiss should be singned by both parties, and should contain firm dates, he aparently won't do that, so, I assume he was lying, just wanting to get rid of me. So, I am getting ready for court
Please advise

Huaf:

I cannot find the article your posted link. nor can I find it in uscis website.
what is the source for this?
Sky

huxf said:
END of Darkness???

from http://www.immigration-law.com/
12/05/2006: USCIS Proposes to Operate Centralized Background Check Systems to Reduce Backlogs Effective 01/03/2007

The immigration and naturalization proceedings have witnessed a substantial delays in some cases because of the so-called background check delays. In naturalization proceedings, such backlog has produced a substantial number of federal district court litigation in the form of Mandamus action to force the agency to perform the job.
In order to process and adjudicate immigration proceedings, USCIS conducts three different background checks on applicants/petitioners applying for USCIS benefits: (1) A Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) Fingerprint Check, (2) a FBI Name Check, and (3) a Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Treasury Enforcement Communication System/Interagency Border Inspection System (TECS/IBIS) Name Check. In order to assist in this task, USCIS established a new
system of records that will consolidate all background check requests and results on immigration benefit applicants/petitioners. This new system of records is called the Background Check Service (BCS). The Background Check Service allows authorized U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services representatives to request background checks and access the data stored in the Background Check Service during the adjudication process in order to facilitate informed decision-making. As a centralized repository containing all background check activity, BCS will provide the status and results of background checks required for completion of immigration eligibility petitions and applicationdeterminations from one web-based system to geographically dispersed field offices. This system supports USCIS's initiatives to reduce immigration benefit/petition case backlog and provide significant efficiencies in vetting and resolving the background checks that are required for USCIS benefits. Prior to BCS, information relating to the FBI Fingerprint Checks and the FBI Name Checks were stored in the FD-258 system and FBI Query system respectively.
Information relating to the TECS/IBIS Name Checks was not stored in any system.
USCIS asserts that this consolidated and centralized Background Check Services will contribute to the reduction of backlogs. This established system of records will be effective January 3, 2007 unless comments are received that result in a contrary determination. For the full text of the notice, please click here.

You will get it, I know

Hi paz,
Good going, I know you will be US citizen this year.
Thank you.

paz1960 said:

Hope

[Federal Register: December 4, 2006 (Volume 71, Number 232)]
[Notices]
[Page 70413-70416]
From the Federal Register Online via GPO Access [wais.access.gpo.gov]
[DOCID:fr04de06-71]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY

Office of the Secretary

[Docket No. DHS-2006-0063]

Privacy Act; Background Check Services System of Records

AGENCY: Privacy Office, Department of Homeland Security.

ACTION: Notice of Privacy Act system of records notice.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

SUMMARY: Pursuant to the Privacy Act of 1974, the Department of
Homeland

[[Page 70414]]

Security, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, proposes to add a
new system of records to the Department's inventory, entitled
Background Check Service. The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration
Services, Office of Field Operations operates the Background Check
Service. U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services conducts background
checks on petitioners and applicants who are seeking immigration
related benefits. To facilitate the background check process and to
improve efficiency, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services developed
the Background Check Service as a centralized repository that contains
the consolidated data on all background check requests and results. The
Background Check Service allows authorized U.S. Citizenship and
Immigration Services representatives to request background checks and
access the data stored in the Background Check Service during the
adjudication process in order to facilitate informed decision-making.

DATES: The established system of records will be effective January 3,
2007 unless comments are received that result in a contrary
determination.

ADDRESSES: You may submit comments, identified by Docket Number DHS-
2006-0063 by one of the following methods:
Federal e-Rulemaking Portal: http://www.regulations.gov.

Follow the instructions for submitting comments.
Fax: 571-227-4171 (This is not a toll-free number).
Mail: Hugo Teufel III, Chief Privacy Officer, Department
of Homeland Security, 601 S. 12th Street, Arlington, VA 22202-4220

FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT: For system related questions please
contact: Greg Collett, Branch Chief of Application Support for Office
of Field Operations, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services,
Department of Homeland Security, 20 Massachusetts Avenue, NW.,
Washington, DC 20529. For privacy issues please contact: Hugo Teufel
III, Chief Privacy Officer, Privacy Office, U.S. Department of Homeland
Security, Washington, DC 20528.

SUPPLEMENTARY INFORMATION: The Department of Homeland Security (DHS),
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) is congressionally
tasked with processing all immigration benefit applications and
petitions. In order to assist in this task, USCIS established a new
system of records that will consolidate all background check requests
and results on immigration benefit applicants/petitioners. This new
system of records is called the Background Check Service (BCS). USCIS
conducts three different background checks on applicants/petitioners
applying for USCIS benefits: (1) A Federal Bureau of Investigation
(FBI) Fingerprint Check, (2) a FBI Name Check, and (3) a Customs and
Border Protection (CBP) Treasury Enforcement Communication System/
Interagency Border Inspection System (TECS/IBIS) Name Check. BCS will
maintain the requests and results of all background check activity for
USCIS.
As a centralized repository containing all background check
activity, BCS will provide the status and results of background checks
required for completion of immigration eligibility petitions and
application determinations from one web-based system to geographically
dispersed field offices. This system supports USCIS's initiatives to
reduce immigration benefit/petition case backlog and provide
significant efficiencies in vetting and resolving the background checks
that are required for USCIS benefits. Prior to BCS, information
relating to the FBI Fingerprint Checks and the FBI Name Checks were
stored in the FD-258 system and FBI Query system respectively.
Information relating to the TECS/IBIS Name Checks was not stored in any
system.
The information maintained in BCS is initially collected and
maintained in one of the following USCIS case management systems and
then it is transferred to BCS:
Computer-Linked Application Information Management System
(CLAIMS) 3, which is used to process applications including, but not
limited to, an Adjustment of Status (Green Card) and Temporary
Protective Status (TPS);
CLAIMS 4, which is used to process applications for
Naturalization;
Refugee Asylum Parole System (RAPS), which is used to
process Asylum applications; and
Marriage Fraud Assurance System (MFAS), which is used for
processing information relating to investigations of marriage fraud.
The benefit applicant/petitioner do not have direct interaction
with BCS.
The above systems will send necessary and relevant information to
BCS in order to generate a Name Check Request for both the FBI Name
Check and TECS/IBIS Name Check. Both the requests and results will be
stored in BCS.
Fingerprint information is collected from the applicant at the time
the fingerprints are taken in order to conduct the FBI Fingerprint
Check. Fingerprints are taken electronically at a USCIS Application
Support Centers (ASC) or taken from hard copy fingerprint cards (FD-
258) that are submitted for those applicants who are unable to go to an
ASC. The fingerprints are currently stored in the Benefit Biometric
Support System (BBSS), which interfaces directly with FBI's Integrated
Automated Fingerprint Identification System (IAFIS). The responses to
the FBI Fingerprint Check are collected electronically from the FBI and
stored in BCS.
All information is currently collected as part of the established
USCIS application/petition process and is required to verify the
applicant/petitioner's eligibility for the benefit being sought. The
FBI Fingerprint Check is a search of the FBI's Criminal Master File via
the Integrated Automated Fingerprint Identification System (IAFIS).
This search will identify applicants/petitioners who have an arrest
record. The FBI Name Check is a search of the FBI's Universal Index
that consists of administrative, applicant, criminal, personnel, and
other files compiled for law enforcement purposes. The TECS/IBIS Name
Check is a search of a multi-agency database containing information
from 26 different agencies. The information in TECS/IBIS includes
records of known and suspected terrorists, sex offenders, and other
people that may be of interest to the law enforcement community. USCIS
will use TECS/IBIS to access National Crime Information Center (NCIC)
records on wanted persons, criminal histories, and previous Federal
inspections.
The information collected in BCS as part of the background check
process provides USCIS with information about an applicant/petitioner
that has National Security or Public Safety implications or indicia of
fraud. Having this information and taking action to prevent potentially
undesirable and often dangerous people from staying in this country
clearly supports two primary missions of DHS: preventing terrorist
attacks within the United States and reducing America's vulnerability
to terrorism, while facilitating the adjudication of lawful benefit
applications.
The results of these background checks will be used to make
eligibility determinations, which will result in the approval or denial
of a benefit. If fraudulent or criminal activity is detected as a
result of the background check, information will be forwarded to
appropriate law enforcement agencies including Immigration and Customs
Enforcement (ICE), FBI, CBP, and/or local law enforcement.
The Privacy Act embodies fair information principles in a statutory

[[Page 70415]]

framework governing the means by which the United States Government
collects, maintains, uses and disseminates personally identifiable
information. The Privacy Act applies to information that is maintained
in a ``system of records.'' A ``system of records'' is a group of any
records under the control of an agency from which information is
retrieved by the name of the individual or by some identifying number,
symbol, or other identifying particular assigned to the individual.
The Privacy Act requires each agency to publish in the Federal
Register a description denoting the type and character of each system
of records that the agency maintains, and the routine uses that are
contained in each system to make agency recordkeeping practices
transparent, to notify individuals reading the uses to which personally
identifiable information is put, and to assist the individual to more
easily find such files within the agency.
In accordance with 5 U.S.C. 552a(r), a report on this system has
been sent to Congress and to the Office of Management and Budget.
DHS-2006-0063

SYSTEM NAME:
Background Check Service (BCS).

SECURITY CLASSIFICATION:
Sensitive but Unclassified.

SYSTEM LOCATION:
The primary BCS system is located at a Department of Homeland
Security (DHS) approved data center in the Washington, DC, Metropolitan
area. Backups are maintained offsite. BCS will be accessible world-wide
from all USCIS field offices, service centers, and application support
centers that are part of the DHS Network.

CATEGORIES OF INDIVIDUALS COVERED BY THE SYSTEM:
Categories of individuals covered by this notice consist of:
A. All individuals who are applying for benefits and or who are
petitioning on behalf of individuals applying/petitioning for benefits
pursuant to the Immigration and Nationality Act Sec. 101. [8 U.S.C.
1101] (a)(b).

CATEGORIES OF RECORDS IN THE SYSTEM:
BCS maintains three general categories of records: applicant/
petitioner identification information, Background Check Request
information, and Background Check Result information.
A. Applicant/Petitioner information includes biographic information
associated with each applicant/petitioner including, but not limited
to; Name, Date of Birth, Country of Birth, Address, and employment
status. The applicant/petitioner information also includes uniquely
identifiable numbers, including but not limited to: Alien Number, Z-
number, Receipt Number, Social Security Number, Armed Forces
Identification Number, etc. This information would be derived from
newly created benefit applications in USCIS Systems of Records or an
update to previously submitted benefit applications.
B. Background Check Request information contains data necessary to
perform a background check through the FBI Fingerprint Check, FBI Name
Check and CBP IBIS Name Check services. This data may include:
Transaction Control Numbers associated with FBI Fingerprint Checks,
Receipt Numbers, date/time of submission, physical description of
subject, and a reason for the submission of the application (i.e. USCIS
Form Code). This category also covers logs associated with the requests
of background checks, which may include: requesting location and
requesting person.
C. Background Check Result information encompasses data received
from the FBI and CBP. This data may include: identifying transactional
information (i.e. transaction control number), biographical
information, a subject's FBI Information Sheet (informally known as a
RAP Sheet) as a result of an FBI Fingerprint Check, an FBI Name Check
Report, and information from the CBP IBIS Database. The CBP IBIS
Database includes data from TECS and NCIC databases.

AUTHORITY FOR MAINTENANCE OF THE SYSTEM:
8 U.S.C. Sections 1103 (a).

PURPOSE(S):
BCS is a single centralized system that records, reconciles, and
stores Background Check Requests and Results of applicants and
petitioners seeking USCIS benefits. The following types of Background
Checks will be recorded by BCS: FBI Name Checks, TECS/IBIS Name Checks,
and FBI Fingerprint Checks. The collection of information is required
to verify the applicant/petitioner's eligibility for USCIS benefits. A
background check of varying degree, determined by the benefit/petition,
is required for any individual applying for USCIS benefits. The
applicant/petitioner could not seek the benefits provided by USCIS
without the information collected from the applications/petitions.

ROUTINE USES OF RECORDS MAINTAINED IN THE SYSTEM, INCLUDING CATEGORIES
OF USERS AND THE PURPOSES OF SUCH USES:
In addition to those disclosures generally permitted under 5 U.S.C.
552a(b) of the Privacy Act, all or a portion of the records or
information contained in this system may be disclosed outside DHS as a
routine use pursuant to 5 U.S.C. 552a(b)(3) as follows:
A. To the United States Department of Justice (including United
States Attorney offices) or other Federal agency conducting litigation
or in proceedings before any court, adjudicative or administrative
body, when it is necessary to the litigation and one of the following
is a party to the litigation or has an interest in such litigation: (a)
DHS, or (b) any employee of DHS in his/her official capacity, or (c)
any employee of DHS in his/her individual capacity where DOJ or DHS has
agreed to represent said employee, or (d) the United States or any
agency thereof;
B. To another federal agency (including the Merit Systems
Protection Board and the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission), or
to a court, or a party in litigation before a court or in an
administrative proceeding being conducted by a Federal agency, when the
Government is a party to the judicial or administrative proceeding.
C. To an agency, organization, or individual for the purpose of
performing audit or oversight operations as authorized by law.
D. To a Congressional office, for the record of an individual in
response to an inquiry from that Congressional office made at the
request of the individual to whom the record pertains.
E. To the National Archives and Records Administration or other
Federal government agencies pursuant to records management inspections
being conducted under the authority of 44 U.S.C. Sections 2904 and
F. To contractors, grantees, experts, consultants, students, and
others performing or working on a contract, service, grant, cooperative
agreement, or other assignment for the Federal Government, when
necessary to accomplish a DHS mission function related to this system
of records, in compliance with the Privacy Act of 1974, as amended.
G. To appropriate Federal, State, local, tribal, or foreign
governmental agencies or multilateral governmental organizations
responsible for investigating or prosecuting the violations of, or for
enforcing or implementing, a statute, rule, regulation, order, or
license, where

[[Page 70416]]

USCIS believes the information would assist enforcement of civil or
criminal laws;
H. To Federal and foreign government intelligence or
counterterrorism agencies or components where USCIS becomes aware of an
indication of a threat or potential threat to national or international
security, or where such use is to assist in anti-terrorism efforts and
disclosure is appropriate to the proper performance of the official
duties of the person making the disclosure;
I. To a Federal, State, local, tribal, territorial, foreign, or
international agency, if necessary to obtain information relevant to a
Department of Homeland Security decision concerning the hiring or
retention of an employee, the issuance of a security clearance, the
reporting of an investigation of an employee, the letting of a
contract, or the issuance of a license, grant or other benefit.

POLICIES AND PRACTICES FOR STORING, RETRIEVING, ACCESSING, RETAINING,
AND DISPOSING OF RECORDS IN THE SYSTEM:
STORAGE:
Records in the system will be stored in a central computer
database.

RETRIEVABILITY:
A combination of the following BCS data elements may be used to
initiate a query in order to retrieve data from the BCS User Interface.
These data elements include, an individual's Alien File Number; Name
and Date of Birth; and Receipt Number.

SAFEGUARDS:
Information in this system is safeguarded in accordance with
applicable laws and policies, including the DHS Information Technology
Security Program Handbook. All records are protected from unauthorized
access through appropriate administrative, physical, and technical
safeguards. These safeguards include restricting access to authorized
personnel who have a need-to-know, using locks, and password protection
identification features. The system is also protected through a multi-
layer security approached. The protective strategies are physical,
technical, administrative and environmental in nature and provide
access control to sensitive data, physical access control to DHS
facilities, confidentiality of communications, authentication of
sending parties, and personnel screening to ensure that all personnel
with access to data are screened through background investigations
commensurate with the level of access required to perform their duties.

RETENTION AND DISPOSAL:
The following USCIS proposal for retention and disposal is pending
approval by the National Archives and Records Administration. Records
are stored and retained in the BCS Repository for 75 years, during
which time the records will be archived. Background checks are
conducted on individuals/petitioners from the age of 14 and up. The 75
year retention rate comes from the length of time USCIS may interact
with a customer. Further, retaining the data for this period of time
will enable USCIS to fight identity fraud and misappropriated benefits.

SYSTEM MANAGER(S) AND ADDRESS:
Greg Collett, Branch Chief of Application Support for Office of
Field Operations, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, Department
of Homeland Security, 20 Massachusetts Avenue, NW., Washington, DC

NOTIFICATION PROCEDURE:
All individuals applying for Immigration benefits are presented
with both Privacy Act notices and a Signature Certification and
Authorization for Release of personally identifiable information on all
USCIS forms, which must be signed. These two notices supply individuals
with information regarding uses of the data.

RECORD ACCESS PROCEDURES:
To determine whether this system contains records relating to you,
write the USCIS Freedom of Information Act/Privacy Act officer. Mail
requests to: Elizabeth S. Gaffin, Privacy Officer, Department of
Homeland Security, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, 20
Massachusetts Avenue, NW., Room 4210,Washington, DC 20529.

CONTESTING RECORD PROCEDURES:
See the ``Notification Procedure'' above.

RECORD SOURCE CATEGORIES:
Information contained in this system of records is obtained from
USCIS Systems of Records; including, CLAIMS3, CLAIMS4, RAPS, and MFAS.
Information contained in the system is also obtained from the Federal
Bureau of Investigation, and the United States Customs and Border
Protection Services. All information contained in BCS is derived from
the above systems.

EXEMPTIONS CLAIMED FOR THE SYSTEM:
None.

Dated: November 22, 2006.
Hugo Teufel III,
Chief Privacy Officer.
[FR Doc. E6-20289 Filed 11-30-06; 8:45 am]

BILLING CODE 4410-10-P

paz1960 said:
This is a very unfortunate situation, and not unique. I sent my summonses and copies of the complaint on October 24, and I still didn't receive the green card back from FBI. But my court accepted the Certificate of Service with the USPS tracking web results+green slips (the receipts I received when I mailed the letters) as proof of delivery. I don't know what can you do...
You can get a copy of the green slip from your local USPS office as long as you have a receipt indicating that you paid for the proof of delivery. If you do not have the receipt, you can still show the web printout at your local USPS, pay something like $3.25 and get a copy of that green slip.

Best of luck!
snorlax

Thanks Paz:)
I appreciate any update about this case.
Do you think I am doing teh right thing? should I trust a guy that has history of lying to both me and other people just because his assistnat sent me an email saying that they may be able to schedule my oath ceremony????

paz1960 said:
I faced the same problem with some older cases; I could not find them on PACER. I assume, that if the decision was published, it should be accessible in the Federal Register or maybe you can find something with Westlaw or Lexis. I didn't use any of these services, but I believe that they are for fee. The documentation for the mentioned case is most likely already buried in some archive, it will be really difficult to obtain a copy.

But I remember something about this case, reading in an other judge's opinion. This case was brought to the court as a test case, trying to obtain a decision from the judge to compel defendants to adjudicate the application and Plaintiff didn't ask the judge to decide the matter in court. There is some reference to this case in US v. Hovsepian (vaguely remember something that Hovsepian overturned some parts of the Sze v. INS decision; I'll check this evening).