Anyone with a lawsuit against USCIS or thinking about a lawsuit (Merged)

ApplyInDenver said:
you are right, and you are free to do so

FRCP Rule 73. Magistrate Judges; Trial by Consent and Appeal Options

(a) Powers; Procedure.
A record of the proceedings shall be made in accordance with the requirements of Title 28, U.S.C. § 636(c)(5).

A district judge, magistrate judge, or other court official may again advise the parties of the availability of the magistrate judge, but, in so doing, shall also advise the parties that they are free to withhold consent without adverse substantive consequences. A district judge or magistrate judge shall not be informed of a party's response to the clerk's notification, unless all parties have consented to the referral of the matter to a magistrate judge.

The district judge, for good cause shown on the judge's own initiative, or under extraordinary circumstances shown by a party, may vacate a reference of a civil matter to a magistrate judge under this subdivision.

(c) Appeal.
In accordance with Title 28, U.S.C. § 636(c)(3), appeal from a judgment entered upon direction of a magistrate judge in proceedings under this rule will lie to the court of appeals as it would from a judgment of the district court.

Called the court clerk. Here is what I found:

1. They send this notice and consent form to every filer.
2. I should not submit if I do not have consent from each party.
3. Defendant may contact me for consent (unlikely though)
4. I may contact defendants for their consent if I want.

So, I guess, I will just ignore. Life will be fine I believe.

Hi everybody:

Can you guys tell me whether the "WRIT of MANDAMUS" can be filed for consular processing of the greencards. If so who would be the defendents? Thanks a lot.

Recently I met someone and we were discussing our immigration issues. I had mentioned that I had to sue for my naturalization and she responded that she had also sued immigration a few years back. Her reason was her student visa. She tried to renew it in Bangladesh over the summer but the embassy would not do it. So they hired a lawyer in the States who was able to obtain an order from a Federal Court who then flew to Bangladesh and showed it to the embassy officials and her student visa was re-newed.

bashar82 said:
Recently I met someone and we were discussing our immigration issues. I had mentioned that I had to sue for my naturalization and she responded that she had also sued immigration a few years back. Her reason was her student visa. She tried to renew it in Bangladesh over the summer but the embassy would not do it. So they hired a lawyer in the States who was able to obtain an order from a Federal Court who then flew to Bangladesh and showed it to the embassy officials and her student visa was re-newed.
Wow, this is an interesting case... do you any info on her case... like case number or her name or her district or date of filing info... may be people in this forum can use it for more detailed and specialized in-depth cases... I had never come across a case like that...

ApplyInDenver said:
Good job. You deserve it :p

I don't think FBI name check was done due to the law suit, but for USCIS to schedule Oath so quick, that must have something to do with it. Usually they will schedule the Oath to the next available date, say next month.

Just bring everything they ask for. Basiclly you will hand over your Greencard and other immigration documents/identifications since they are no longer valid. I am not sure what they want to do with the Mandumus document, but the case will have to be dismissed anyway. Usually the AUSA will have the stipulation of Motion to dismiss and all you have to do is agree with it. Maybe
they already have an agreement waiting for you to sign :)
Thanks, It was because of lawsuit because on the cover letter it says mandamus.

Now I am a proud American citizen.

joint discovery

zaib said:
Hi Everyone,
Do we have any examples of Joint status report and discovery plan in this thread.We (me & Ausa) have to file on Monday.I just want to be prepared what to expect from the AUSA and what my response should be.
Thanks in advance.

Hi Zaib,

Here is joint discovery that I have gone through with AUSA, you have to contact AUSA atleast 7 days before the joint conference. It is very basic, and just the central idea of the case. Make sure you talk to you AUSA because its joint discovery.

UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT
SOUTHERN DISTRICT OF TEXAS
HOUSTON DIVISION

Plaintiff,
vs.

Alberto R. Gonzales,
Attorney General of the United States;
Michael Chertoff,
Secretary of the Department of Homeland Security;
Emilio Gonzalez, Director,
United States Citizenship and Immigration Services; Sharon A. Hudson,
District Director of US Citizenship and Immigration Services,
Robert S. Mueller,
Director of the Federal Bureau of Investigations.
Defendants.

JOINT DISCOVERY/CASE MANAGEMENT PLAN

1. State when and where the meeting of parties required by Rule 26(f) was held, and identify the counsel who attended for each party.

The meeting was held by telephone conference on August 31, 2006, between the undersigned AUSA and the plaintiff pro se, Faisal Mohammed Qazi.

2. List the cases related to this one that are pending in any state or federal court with the case number and court.

None.

3. Specify the allegation of federal jurisdiction.

8 U.S.C. §1447(b)

4. Name the parties who disagree and the reasons.

Plaintiff asks to remand it back to USCIS with time limit of 30 days to adjudicate the case.
Defendant asks to remand back to USCIS.

5. List anticipated additional parties that should be included, when they can be added, and by whom they are wanted.

None

6. List anticipated interventions.

None.

7. Describe class action issues.

None.

8. State whether each party represents that it has made the initial disclosures required by Rule 26(a). If not, describe the arrangements that have been made to complete the disclosures.

Because the case involves entitlement to citizenship, and relates to review of an administrative record, there are no initial disclosures to be made. See also 26(a)(1)(E)(I) (actions for review on an administrative record exempt from initial disclosure).

9. Describe the proposed agreed discovery plan, including:

A. Responses to all matters raised in Rule 26(f).

B. When and to whom the plaintiff anticipates it may send interrogatories.

C. When and to whom the defendant anticipates it may send interrogatories.

D. Of whom an by when the plaintiff anticipates taking oral depositions.

E. Of whom and by when the defendant anticipates taking depositions.

F. List expert depositions the plaintiff (or the party with the burden of proof on an issue)
anticipates taking and their anticipated completion date. See Rule 26(a)(2)(B)(expert
report).

G. List expert depositions the opposing party anticipates taking and their anticipated
completion date. See Rule 26(a)(2)(B)(expert report).

Plaintiff expects nominal discovery that may include written interrogatories and request for production of documents. There is no dispute on facts; it is matter of interpretation of law.

10. If the parties are not agreed on a part of the discovery plan, describe the separate views and proposals of each party.

N/A.

11. Specify the discovery beyond initial disclosures that has been undertaken to date.

None.

12. State the date the planned discovery can reasonably be completed.

Plaintiff believes these discovery requests can be completed by December 30, 2006

13. Describe the possibilities for a prompt settlement or resolution of the case that were
described in your Rule 26 meeting.

The parties agree that this case does not lend itself to settlement, as what the plaintiff seeks is to become a U.S. citizen.

14. Describe what each party has done or agreed to do to bring about a prompt resolution.

The defendant has filed a motion to dismiss and remand.
Plaintiff has filed motion of summary judgment.

15. From the attorney's discussion with the client, state the alternative dispute resolution
techniques that are reasonably suitable.

None.

16. Magistrate judges may now hear jury and non-jury trials. Indicate the parties' joint position on a trial before a magistrate judge.

The parties agree to referral to the magistrate.

17. State whether a jury demands was made and whether it was made on time.

No jury demand has been made.

18. Specify the number of hours it will take to present the evidence in this case.

Plaintiff and defendant have no dispute on facts. The issue is purely matter of law.

19. List pending motions that could be ruled on at the initial pretrial and scheduling conference.

Defendant’s Motion to Dismiss and remand.
Plaintiff’s Motion of summary judgment

20. List other motions pending.

None.

21. Indicate other matters peculiar to this case, including discovery that deserve the special attention of the court at the conference.

None.

22. List the names, addresses and telephone number of all counsel.

Michelle Zingaro Your name – plaintiff pro se
Assistant U.S. Attorney. address
Houston, TX 77083
Houston, TX 77208
(713) 567-9512

New here with questions.

Hello everyone.
I'm new here and have some questions. My mom has been waiting to get her citizenship for 2.5 years now. We didn't know what to do, until recently I found out about filing this 1447b lawsuit. I called the lawer, but they charge $2000 for this, so I'm going to do this myself. So, my question is, since my mom doesn't speak English very well, and I'm going to do all the work, what if they call her and want to speak to her, and she deosn't understand? Would that be a problem? Should I put my name somewhere on complaint, so they would know to talk to me?
Second question, I've already received my Pro Se package from District court. It says to send the following forms along with the Complaint: Civil Cover Sheet, Civil Category Sheet, and completed SUMMONS for each defendant. But from what I read here, I understood the court should send me the summons with the case number after I file my complaint. I'm a little confused here.
Thanks for your help! I am scared to start this thing, but I hope it works!
Irene

Did your mom pass the English and history test? How old is she?

IreneB said:
Hello everyone.
I'm new here and have some questions. My mom has been waiting to get her citizenship for 2.5 years now. We didn't know what to do, until recently I found out about filing this 1447b lawsuit. I called the lawer, but they charge $2000 for this, so I'm going to do this myself. So, my question is, since my mom doesn't speak English very well, and I'm going to do all the work, what if they call her and want to speak to her, and she deosn't understand? Would that be a problem? Should I put my name somewhere on complaint, so they would know to talk to me?
Second question, I've already received my Pro Se package from District court. It says to send the following forms along with the Complaint: Civil Cover Sheet, Civil Category Sheet, and completed SUMMONS for each defendant. But from what I read here, I understood the court should send me the summons with the case number after I file my complaint. I'm a little confused here.
Thanks for your help! I am scared to start this thing, but I hope it works!
Irene
Irene, if your mother is above a certain age (it might be 65 yo, not sure), she doesn't have to pass the English test, instead, she can sign a power of attorney to have you act on her behalf.
However, if your mom is young, and she didn't pass teh English and history exam, her chances to get citezenship through litigation are very slim.
Good luck

Finally Citizenship

well, here is detail and timeline now I am in position to help and assist anyone because I know its not easy Journey.

N400: 08/16/2004
FP: 02/16/2005
Interview: 08/10/2005
Name Check Pending
1447(b) filled: 07/11/2006
Oath: 09/15/2006.

Thanks all and ready to help. Now I need hlp in my brother case. He did applied Green card to marrige its been 3 years he even did not getconditional green card. I want to file WOM for him. could you or anyone please send me format of WOM remove ur personal information.

I really want USCIS approve his I-485 its too long. I am waiting for anyone since most people in this forum are very helpful and truthful.

I will try to be here on forum as much as possible but anyoe need help can email me at takram2000@yahoo.com

Thanks All

hayyyoot said:
Irene, if your mother is above a certain age (it might be 65 yo, not sure), she doesn't have to pass the English test, instead, she can sign a power of attorney to have you act on her behalf.
However, if your mom is young, and she didn't pass teh English and history exam, her chances to get citezenship through litigation are very slim.
Good luck

She is only 60, and she did pass the English test. It's her name check that's pending. So, if she signs the power of attorney, then I can file this lawsuit on her behalf?

Joint status report

;) Thanks Ournyla for your prompt response.The court has a little bit different procedure in this discovery plan.I have attached a copy for what they are asking for.I am in Seattle and probably they have local rules.Anyone has any input,please respond back.Thanks in advance.

Power of attorney

IreneB said:
She is only 60, and she did pass the English test. It's her name check that's pending. So, if she signs the power of attorney, then I can file this lawsuit on her behalf?
Irene;
You really need to consult an attorney to see how can you do that, anybody can always designate anyone to represent her/ him in any matter, that's for sure, you just need some help with the language of the power of attorney, search teh Internet for various power of attorney form

hayyyoot said:
Irene;
You really need to consult an attorney to see how can you do that, anybody can always designate anyone to represent her/ him in any matter, that's for sure, you just need some help with the language of the power of attorney, search teh Internet for various power of attorney form

Thanks for the advice! I'll do that.

FRCP rule 16

pdxkaz said:
all the experts, a bit of help here would be appreciated:

the AUSA has sent the judge a letter, asking for a Rule 16 conference. He has asked the judge to "either dismiss, or remand the case to USCIS". He has also mentioned in teh letter that USCIS has said that they will process my case in 14 days, once the case has been remanded to them. But also, that i have to dismiss the case, prior to USCIS processing my N400 case.

while i wait for the judge to schedule a rule 16 conference, can anyone tell me what my options are? the AUSA seems like a very very nice person, but i also know he's representing the defendants...

thanks everyone

You should look at this: http://www.law.cornell.edu/rules/frcp/Rule16.htm
since your case is a civil case.
It's a good thing they put everything in Writing. I think you should just give them an extension and put the case in abeyance, just agree to dissmiss the case after the oath. Put everything in a parital/summary judgement so if they screw up, they are in big trouble.

Intro and a little help

A long time follower of this great forum. Your tottally selfless commitment to us the fellow sufferers, your complete dedication is something that I have never witnessed before either in life or in any online group that I've ever been part of.

I'm in San Jose, CA. Want to file WOM in regards to my pending AOS application. As expected, AOS is stuck in name check. PD is current. I read most of the posts in this thread. Got some incredible info. Downloaded and read the ProSe guide from cover to cover. Got a PACER account and went through some cases. Talked to a lawyer. Lawyer is asking $3K. Confident that case can be done in 2months. My question : is $3k too much. Is 2 months too little ? Do any of you recommend any lawyer in San Jose area for this purpose ?

And whatever happens in this journey, whatever ups and downs we face in life, you guys rock ! tottally.

What is going on with the new immigration bill?

Hi, guys!

I am new here and would like to thank everyone who is actively participating in this thread. I've been reading this thread from the very begining for the last 2 weeks, very impressive. I have set my mind on filing 1447b lawsuit in the next 2-3 weeks. My only concern is the upcoming immigration bill that might deprive us from claiming our right to be US citizens by using 1447b. Any recent news about it? Thank you in advance for your replies. Best regards and good luck to all.

To sue or not to sue

Filed for AOS - marriage to a USC on 12/2003
Fingerprint - 2/2004
Interview - approved pending FBI results 3/2004

Still waiting?? Have applied for advance parole and EAD twice. Have visited the USCIS San Jose offices about 5 times. Each time I am told that they can request FBI only once a year.

Have just penned a letter to the Senator, FOIA application to FBI. Wondering if I should sue or not?

IreneB,
which state are you going to file?. if possible can you please share your attorney details. i have been waiting since aug2003?.

28Aug2003 said:
IreneB,
which state are you going to file?. if possible can you please share your attorney details. i have been waiting since aug2003?.

I'm in Massachussets. There is an article from Boston Globe at the beginning of this thread. It mentions the name of the lawer who dealt with cases like this. He is the one I called.