Anyone used USPS postal money order with N400

Money Order is fine. But, why pay the extra fees to USPS? Also, if you use personal check, you just have to check with the bank to see when the check is cased.

I think most of the applicants (at least on this forum) have used personal checks.
It helps in knowing when the check was cashed, giving an idea about the status of the application.

I can use personal check -- problem is -- my bank account can be garnished/seizure any time by my credit card company --thinking money order is safer for my case --

Last edited by a moderator:
I think most of the applicants (at least on this forum) have used personal checks.
It helps in knowing when the check was cashed, giving an idea about the status of the application.

Can one also check with USPS to see if money order is cashed?

Can one also check with USPS to see if money order is cashed?

I think the customer rep. will not be able to tell the status until we call with the NBC number. May be an IO can.
If by MO, I think we need to wait until we receive NOA.

I think the customer rep. will not be able to tell the status until we call with the NBC number. May be an IO can.
If by MO, I think we need to wait until we receive NOA.

What I meant is can one check with USPS not USCIS to see if the USPS-issued money order is cashed by USCIS.

The post office can do a trace on the money orders, and see when and if cashed. I have heard that there is a number (to call) also to trace it.
The toll free number is 1-800-868-2443.

I can use personal check -- problem is -- my bank account can be garnished/seizure any time by my credit card company --thinking money order is safer for my case --

This doesn't make sense - credit card is an unsecured debt and the card issuer has no right to garnish or seize your bank account unless there is a judgement from a court. Do you have a particular problem with a credit card company?

I never realized you can check money order that way, I sent personal check so that I will know whey cash it.
- JS.

There must be way to track money order. Otherwise what if you decide not to
pay the money order due to some reason or you lost it before you send it?
You can get your money back. USPS can not get both money order fee and money order money itself.

If one run insufficient fund risk, one can also write a cashier's check (certified check).

One day, USCIS may accept credit card

Even the IRS won't touch your bank account when you send in a payment by check despite you owing them. :)

There must be way to track money order. Otherwise what if you decide not to
pay the money order due to some reason or you lost it before you send it?
You can get your money back. USPS can not get both money order fee and money order money itself.

If one run insufficient fund risk, one can also write a cashier's check (certified check).

One day, USCIS may accept credit card

OP probably meant "trace money order by calling"....which I never heard of either.

This doesn't make sense - credit card is an unsecured debt and the card issuer has no right to garnish or seize your bank account unless there is a judgement from a court. Do you have a particular problem with a credit card company?

i am filing for bankruptcy next year-- my credit is bad and they get judgement anytime soon --
do you guys think I can use My freind's check ?

i am filing for bankruptcy next year-- my credit is bad and they get judgement anytime soon --

do you guys think I can use My freind's check ?

Then just use money order. If you need to borrow money, let your friend
buy a money order in your name