anyone transferred to Pittsburgh?

485-1101
I think police clearance is not required in all transferred cases. In my case police clearance is required because they were unable to get a clear set of fingerprints even after two attempts. I am hoping that once I send in the police clearance, BCIS will approve my case without scheduling an interview.
Good luck with your case.

Simo,

any progress/news concerning your transfer? (I read that you received request for police clearance).

Nov27-01

Yes Nov27-01, I've been trying to arrange the police clearances. My lawyer told me that police clearance is not possible in the US. :eek: I did a search on this forum, and found out that it is possible. I've been in touch with my local police department, who told me to get in touch with the state police depertment. I had to go to the Municipal Courts and fill in a form and deposit 10$, and they'll send me the background check in 10-30 days. Luckily I have lived in Allegheny county from day 1, so I don't need to go to other local/state police departments. I also faxed an application to India(since I was in India in 1997), and my Mom has been trying to arrange for the police clearance there. Some official told her, that the proper way is to apply through the Indian embassy in the US. :( It seems as if I am on a wild goose chase.

What is happening with your case? Did you go for your fingerprinting?
Simo

I guess you are on the right track, Simo, for the US police clearances - your attorney was simply not aware.

As for police clearance from India, here's the form: http://www.indianembassy.org/consular/misc1.pdf - you need to submit it to the concerned Indian consulate as per http://www.indianembassy.org/consular/juri.htm

However, you know how they work back at home - so if your mother could arrange it without involving embassy/consulate, it would save you some time. Indian embassy gives police clearance within 4 weeks and is in English to the best of my information (no personal experience though) - not sure how your local police celarance will be.

Search http://boards.immigration.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=41 and you might find some useful information on police clearances.

Best wishes,

Jigesh

Disclaimer: Personal non-legal point of view only.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you so much Jigesh.

My Mom will be able to get the local clearance by the end of this week, and she'll mail it to me. My question is - will BCIS accept that clearance, or does it have to come through the Indian embassy ??? :confused: :confused:

Input from anybody with similar experience will be highly appreciated.

Simo,

I dont have any news to report; I just did the 2nd FP a couple of weeks ago and now I am waiting. The problem is that I have now idea how long.

Let me know of any news that you have.

Nov27-01

Hi Simo,

I am thinking to consult with another lawyer concerning some Portability issue. I was wondering if the lawyer that helps you has worked for INS office in Pitt or knows people in that office, or maybe he/she knows somebody else with this "qualification".

It might sound a bit strange... I'd appreciate your response.

Nov27-01

Nov27-01,
I am using my company's lawyers. My opinion is that they are highly qualified and usually know what they are talking about. Actually I have never seen the lawyer, everything is done via phone/email, and that also through a paralegal.
I sent you a PM with the law firm's name and address.
Good luck!

Got my police clearance certificate from India yesterday. I have mailed it to the lawyer, who will mail it to the local office, and then the waiting starts again. In the meantime I am slowly losing my sanity. :rolleyes:

I am slowly losing my sanity

Simo, definitely you are not alone. This process is driving people crazy. Cheers.

Nov27-01,
My lawyer forwarded me a notice that they received from INS saying that my case has been transferred. The notice says that any further inquiries must be made to the Pitt BCIS, and they have included a telephone number : 412 644 3356. Thought you might want to try your luck with calling this number.
simo

Simo,

Thank you very much. I guess I received that number too and I called the place, but the number is not a valid one (not in service or so). Anyway, since then I visited the local office in person (I guess I told you that earlier) and I was told that I need to wait for a 3 or 4 months. That's all I have. In fact, I found somewhere another number (412-395-4465), but I am reluctant to call it since they my get upset that I bother them .... Let me know what news you get if you decide to call them.

Keep in touch,

Nov27-01

Hi Simo,

Do you have any news; I dont and the frustration is building up....
Do you know any other people who have been transferred to Pitt?

Nov27-01

No Nov27-01, I have no news and I don't know anyone who is in the same boat. I know exactly how you feel. I try not to even think about it. I try to console myself by thinking of those people who are in NY or Houston, atleast we are better off. Try to stay positive. I'll let you know as soon as I hear anything(when will that day come???).
Take care
Simo

Hi Nov27-01,
I went to the INS office yesterday to get my EAD renewed, when I asked about my case status, I was told that my case has been sent to Vermont for a background check!!!!! I guess Vermont and Pittsburgh are playing a game by sending my file back and forth. I just don't care anymore. It will happen when it has to happen. Let me know if there is any progress with your case.
Simo

My Case too transfered...

Simo/Nov27-01

My case also got transfered to local office (i.e. Pittsburgh). Can please let me know how much time it will take to get the interview date from local office.

Keep in touch....Good Luck to you both...