Anyone Stuck in a Name check for Green card previously and now again for N-400?

VP2003

Registered Users (C)
Hi,
I was a victim of pending "name check" for 2 yrs when i applied for Green card (I-485) now i have just sent my N-400 application and worried about stucking again in "name check" ? is it possible?
I believe USCIS must have all records for green card application and becuase last name check was just 3 yrs ago .. isn't it valid for N-400?

any one had gone through the same situation?

It might well be that you get stuck once again in name check, but not for 2 years as the backlogs have since been cleared.

I will appreciate if someone can pose his/her experience with similar situation. Is anyone gone through the pain of "name check" delima for their Green Card and applied for "N-400"?

It will be good to know real world experience. If FBI/USCIS don't keep record of their previous work then its a huge productivity issue and if their have to start their work at suqre one on each case.

I think we cannot generalize

----disclaimer - my own opinion /inference...please do not start debating whether it is right or wrong..it might as well be wrong

Hi VP,

My PD is 04/07 and FP is 05/07.

My GC was a breeze. In fact when my GC was being processed I did not even know that there is something called namecheck.(Ignorance is bliss!!:)

However I am stuck in name check now.

It so happened that I was a victim of credit card identity thefft (I think 2 yrs after I got my GC). and as someone on board said in such cases your name may get entered in the FBI database even as a victim and it gets a hit during name check and then follows a long blackhole.

This is the only logical(?) explanation I can find that maybe my namecheck for GC went through like a breeze and I am stuck in namecheck for my N400.
(Guys there has been lot of debate about this please dont start it again..it is simply my personal opinion).

So if you were not stuck in namecheck in GC and nothing as I described above happened to you there is a big chance your namecheck will be fast and you will soon get IL. and by the way I think they cannot rely on an old namecheck simply because there is always a possibility that someone was squeaky clean during GC and then committed some crime after that which might make him inelegible for citizenship.

All the best

Last edited by a moderator:
If you filed you I-485 after around 10/2001, you may have name check issue. That's approximate time the legacy INS started this name check game in aware of 9/11.

Both me and my spouse were stuck in the name check at the GC stage. I in particular, had to do the 2nd FP (my 1st FP expired after 15 month) due to lengthy name check at I-485 stage before the final approval of GC.

I think if you got stuck in NC at GC stage, it's very likely your name will be caught again during N-400 process. Also note the fact that the size of the name check database is keep increasing with time. Your chance to be stuck in the NC will increase day by day.

Unfortunately not. Namecheck is valid for 15 months, after that you need a new one.

Where does that come from? The FP is valid for 15 months. The name check is done once per application subject to the name check. If FBI provided results within 120 days they won't do another one. However, I don't think CIS sets an expiry on a name check after it has been done for a particular application. If they did, given how slowly one name check gets done, you'd have delays that spanned decades probably.

As far as the question, I would imagine that it will be no better in terms of information about you, i.e., there can only be more files not less as you have additional time in the US. However, their process has now improved it seems so that you may be better off now than before. That, however, is also not necessarily the case since they now are processing cases that are the oldest if you fall outside of the 6 month period you seem to go to the back of the line. So bottom line is - who knows.

If you filed you I-485 after around 10/2001, you may have name check issue. That's approximate time the legacy INS started this name check game in aware of 9/11.

Both me and my spouse were stuck in the name check at the GC stage. I in particular, had to do the 2nd FP (my 1st FP expired after 15 month) due to lengthy name check at I-485 stage before the final approval of GC.

I think if you got stuck in NC at GC stage, it's very likely your name will be caught again during N-400 process. Also note the fact that the size of the name check database is keep increasing with time. Your chance to be stuck in the NC will increase day by day.

No, they started sometime in October or November of 2002. At that point a few million names were resubmitted but, if you had been approved before that, then, unless they found something bad, you would never have known and you would have thought you sailed through the process.

I was stuck in the name check mire for a year and a half on the green card stage three years ago. I had to file a mandamus suit to shake the tree. As a result of that filing, the name check was processed within 5 days.

Now, it has been over a month since my FP appoitment, and no IL yet. I think my problem with the name check is that several years ago, I signed some letters of recommendation for people who went on to work for the state department and the FBI. I was even interviewed by an FBI agent in relation to one of those letters. So my name must be sprinkled over some documents in the FBI databases.

It's funny how the FBI would give credence to letters of recommendation signed by an alien, and then take years to determine if that alien can be trusted in the first place. Ironically, both of the guys for whom I signed those letters are successfully employed now by the State Department and the FBI respectively. Funny, ah?

No, they started sometime in October or November of 2002. At that point a few million names were resubmitted but, if you had been approved before that, then, unless they found something bad, you would never have known and you would have thought you sailed through the process.

To be approved before Oct/Nov 2002, your I-485 had to be filed before July/August 2001 (the standard processing time for Vermont Service Center then was 365-540 days for I485 and there was no policy of concurrent filing I140/I485).

In my case I know I have sailed through the process because I filed my I-485 in 2001 and was approved in 2003 (~700 days) and I did similar things as N-400 applicants with NC issues now doing, i.e. write to congressman, etc... and I had 2nd FP done when NC finally got cleared.