Anyone had interview for EAD?

maybesomeday

Registered Users (C)
Has anyone been required to go to an interview at the local office just to get an EAD? We got letters in the mail today saying that we need to attend a video taped interview next week for our EADs. I already have an interim EAD I got at the same office in January so I don't even know why I would need another one. Our I-485 cases got transferred late last year.

I am assuming that you have an employment based I-485 pending. Is everything okay in your job and I-140? Are you from one of those countries whose citizens had to go for special registration? They sometime do these interviews to check certain documents that you have. But since they mentioned it is a video taped interview my advice to you will be talk to a good immigration attorney. An attorney who has offices close to the local INS office where your interview is scheduled. Depending on what your attorney says, you may have to take your attorney with you for such video taped disposition. Your interim EAD is not the actual EAD so do not ignore this notice.

MGM said:
I am assuming that you have an employment based I-485 pending. Is everything okay in your job and I-140? Are you from one of those countries whose citizens had to go for special registration? They sometime do these interviews to check certain documents that you have. But since they mentioned it is a video taped interview my advice to you will be talk to a good immigration attorney. An attorney who has offices close to the local INS office where your interview is scheduled. Depending on what your attorney says, you may have to take your attorney with you for such video taped disposition. Your interim EAD is not the actual EAD so do not ignore this notice.
It's an EB3 I-485. My former employer sponsored me through getting the I-140 approved last December. Just before the I-140 was approved (at CSC), the I-485 case was transferred to the local office. A few weeks after the I-140 was approved, they transferred the I-765 renewals to the local office for interview. Meanwhile, the APs we applied for (at the same time as the EAD renewals) got approved. We're not from a special registration country (Canada). My interim EAD is not really interim, it's good for 1 year.

maybesomeday said:
Has anyone been required to go to an interview at the local office just to get an EAD? We got letters in the mail today saying that we need to attend a video taped interview next week for our EADs. I already have an interim EAD I got at the same office in January so I don't even know why I would need another one. Our I-485 cases got transferred late last year.

Since your case was transferred then you will go to your local office for a photograph and to get your EADs. Don't sweat the "videotaped interview" stuff - it's just boilerplate on the letter.

You give them your old EADs, they take your picture and 15 minutes later you walk out with an EAD that looks like your neighbor's 14-year-old kid made it on a computer and got it laminated at Walmart.

TheRealCanadian said:
Since your case was transferred then you will go to your local office for a photograph and to get your EADs. Don't sweat the "videotaped interview" stuff - it's just boilerplate on the letter.

You give them your old EADs, they take your picture and 15 minutes later you walk out with an EAD that looks like your neighbor's 14-year-old kid made it on a computer and got it laminated at Walmart.

Thanks,

That's a little why it's confusing since I already got the "cheapy" laminated EAD card when I went in before the 90days was up. They have me down for an interview after my wife. I suppose this won't be the first time they have made a mistake like this so I probably shouldn't worry. It's also a little silly for us to go in to get photographs since we already submitted them with the initial application. The only reason I can think they would need us there live would be to do a fingerprint for the card (if that's required).

just an FYI: we both went to our respective EAD appointments. Nothing very exciting. Wife got hers without much issue. When my turn came up the woman just asked to confirm that I was just in last month to get an EAD. I said yes, then she wrote something on my original EAD application and then said I can keep my existing card and have a nice day.