Anyone got laid off and still doesn\'t have a job? Please respond

No Title

It is really bad out here...Java developers rate have come down to $19 per hour. I even heard that some consulting companies are offering "buy 1, get 1 free" consultant, or "name your own price". Its scary...

No Title

Yahh arms is corret, Java has almost no market.The consulting companies are asking for $20 and there are consultants to do.

I don\'t know how long its going to take to see 2000 boom again.
Some says by august it should be ok some say it takes another
year. One friendly suggestion to all consultants who are on project
Don\'t spend money, keep atleast 3 to 5 months of buffer money in the
bank.

Kiran

No Title

Nonu, I sent a detailed reply to your posting. Click on your name and you can see your previous postings. Hope this helps

No Title

I am just starting to look for a new job now. I feel that it is hard to get a job for H1 holder, even interview chances. When I told
people that I am a h1, they did not interest me. So, I may try to use my EAD.

My ND is 021501 and my last paycheck is June 1. I only need two and half month to meet 180 days rule. I hope I will be
fine.

Does any one tell me how can I keep myself in the company\'s payroll list ? Is it necessary ?

If I got a job new, can I take it now (

No Title

GC.. Talk to your HR manager so that they can keep you as an employee without pay (Going on Unpaid leave).
You may be able to take up another job but make sure the old company is not withdrawing the I140 petition. Usually, the company lawyer or your lawyer takes care of such situation. If your HR manager does not know about withdrawing I140 DON"T ASK

No Title

Come on fellas...just want to track how many of you have been laid off and how long have you been waiting for a job or how soon did you land a job

Thanks

No Title

There are several ways you can do that:

- If you have accumulated vacation time then go on vacation
- Find another job through your EAD but ask to go through your current company. So you become a independent contractor through your GC sponsored employer. Make sure with your rate you can cover your current salary to there is no expense to the employer.
- Explain the situtation to your employer and ask them to keep your GC going regardless of whichever direction you decide to take.

Good Luck.
jpol

No Title

I can\'t believe you ppl cannot find jobs. Just now I did a search on dice.com for Oracle jobs nationwide. It came back with 9352 openings in Oracle itself. Now if you tell me that none of those 9352 employers are willing to hire you then there is something wrong with your credentials (maybe getting a diploma from NIIT wasnt a good idea after all). I refuse to believe that there are no jobs esp for ppl like FromSA who has a GC and is still on bench. Maybe his area of expertise was Y2K. I can understand that H1s are having problems but ppl with GC should not be whining about jobs.

Forgive me for being cynical, but you ppl have driven me to that.
Thats the bottomline coz I said so!

Forgive me for be

No Title

Mahasangram.. You have no idea how the job market is. Either you are working for a government agency or working with people who have been with the company for 10 or 20 years. There are hundreds of recruiters who post jobs with "actual" job description just to get your resume on file so that they can call you when the job market booms. Have you ever posted your resume in Dice.com? I have several years of experience and two certifications and director level references. I have received only couple of calls through dice.com in the last 4 months. The jobs listed there are not always "real". So, get your facts straight before being cynical

No Title

Hi mahasangram

Just dont go by what you see in job search sites. Situation is different outside.People with H1B are facing problems.
Employers are not ready to do H1b processing.But for EAD/GC people opportunities are there but will take time.

You said you found 9000+ jobs are found on Dice.Do you know how many people are out there applying for these jobs.
My guess is that there many many thousands of software engr out there trying to get hold of a decent job right now.
Right now the Supply ( people) exceed the demand by a wide margin.

Hope situation will improve soon
RajK

No Title

In this country just being technically good does not help. Also, timings plays a major role for consulting. Infact I am at my client site (since last 2 years) which is also a .com company which is going to be public in August. Till today they are paying very high rate to my employer for me. But once I am out of here, I will have to cut down my rate (and salary) by atleast 30%. Else I will not survive in this market.

Infact situation is so bad, desi companies are offering "Buy One Get One Free" java consultants (No Kidding!!).

I had also tried dice.com. In last Dec00 and Jan01,I got 30 replies once I announced my availibilty. And when I tried 2 weeks back, I got 2 replies. Does this mean I have become bad programmer in 6 months ???

So guys just hang in there .. help each other out, espicially people who are on verge of getting their approval.

(FYI, I got my approval June 9th after interview at Newark.)

-dna

No Title

Mahasangram.. You have no idea how the job market is. Either you are working for a government agency or working with people who have been with the company for 10 or 20 years. There are hundreds of recruiters who post jobs with "actual" job description just to get your resume on file so that they can call you when the job market booms. Have you ever posted your resume in Dice.com? I have several years of experience and two certifications and director level references. I have received only couple of calls through dice.com in the last 4 months. The jobs listed there are not always "real". So, get your facts straight before being cynical