Anyone got laid off and still doesn\'t have a job? Please respond

Bravemind

Registered Users (C)
Anyone who got laid off and still doesn\'t have a job please respond to this discussion. Just need to get an idea how long it takes to get a job in this market. Thanks

No Title

Market is bad. But it all depends on what skills one has got.
But in general market is very bad. People who got the project after Jan are very lucky.Those people who are on Projects are very lucky.
If any body comes on bench, its very tough to face their employer first, then no interviews, once if selected in interview no budget or the project will be on hold, its very difficult to get real project. Companies are asking all vague requirements(Like Oracle DBA + People Soft,Unix Admn with Java, or VB with Jsp, Java) just to new few.

I know my friends, who are waiting for projects for last 3 to 4 months

Kiran

No Title

Thanks very much Kiran. I am without a project for almost 3 months. Came on the bench. Just after a month got laid off. Two non-consulting companies I interviewed have put their positions on hold. Three consulting companies have given me contingent offers contingent on getting a project. I have these offers for the past 2.5 months. These companies have not been able to get a single client interview. I have never seen it so bad, even when Nasdaq and Dow indexes are good. Hope it gets better sooon. Only if Alan Greenspan could keep his mouth shut!! VB, MTS, ASP, SQL-server Oracle is not getting me a job here. Total 8 years experience. Well hope for the best in the near future.

Are your friends in the east coast or Midwest?

No Title

They are in East coast. It was better in East coast in the months of Feb and March.Now May screwed up like any thing.
You are not only in bench, I know lot of my friends on bench.Try for job through your friends who are working in the projects, if they have requirements. Through consulting companies, its very difficult to get job in these days, unless market really picksup.

Good luck. I cannot commit but I can try send me resume to Kirankumar55@hotmail.com.

I work as recruiter and I have 10 people on my bench.
Its pathetic, and nobody knows when its going to change.

Kiran

No Title

Hello Kiran/Bravemind,

I am in exactly the same situation - got laid off and have been unable to find a job for the past couple of months.

Bravemind, what is your ND date? Do any of you have suggestions what one can do if one gets an RFE during this stage?

Also, Kiran can I send you my resume?

Thanks.

No Title

dgapall - My case has been approved as per AVM. I haven\'t received my approval notice yet. The only suggestion I can give is PRAY. Kiran, give me a few more days before I send you my resume. Thanks for offering.

No Title

That\'s good Brave Mind. Wish you good luck.
dgapall yahh send me the resume. I will try. But cannot give any gurantee, you know the situation.

Kiran

No Title

I am is West coast. The job market is poor since Jan 01 onwards. Recently, I went to Netfair just to know the status. I used to see around 200 - 300 companies normally, and this time it is just 25 to 30 companies. many of them told me that they do not have immediate position, only for future jobs. In addition, no big banners, like Cisco sun Oracle intel, were there.

I also see lot of my friends laid off, 3 months before , not getting any jobs. Only a few, with good references, skills got the jobs.

No Title

I am in the MidWest. I have been to several career fairs and instead of seeing 20 to 30 companies there are just 2 or 3. They are looking for specific skills. I know a few with very good skills but do not have a job. So, I guess the situation is bad through out US

No Title

I am on bench since mid FEB. But fortunately got my GC on may 7 and stamped before my employer stopped paying me. But still no hope of a job. So ... let\'s hope for the best.

No Title

FromSA - Are you getting paid on the bench? Good thing is that you are still working for the company. Now you have the GC. So, you do not have to worry.