Anyone gone on a cruise w/ only GC? Experience?

jb90304

Registered Users (C)
I'm on a 2yr conditional GC right now... I know that technically I can go out of country (unless it's for too long then i face some negative consequences... i think) but has anyone here gone on a cruise ship with only a GC?
I'm thinking of going to Bahamas or Carribbean on a cruise. When I asked this on a "Cruise forum", they mostly advised that while US passport is not required but is strongly recommended to carry onboard because if anything happens, it serves many good purposes. People there were however, were not very knowledgeable regarding immigration. Most of them seem to be just avg US citizens who I assumed never worried anything about their own immigration status or anything like that. I obviously do not have US Passport... Anyways, I would appreciate any comment regarding this issue, thanks.

Do you plan to leave the ship when it stops in any of those countries? Almost every country in the world other than Canada or Mexico will require non-US citizens to have a passport* to visit their country, even if you have a green card. Many will also require a visa, depending on your country of citizenship. Some will remove the visa requirement if you have a green card, but they still require the passport.

If you don't plan to leave the ship until it returns to the US, the green card would be sufficient to reenter the US, without a passport.

Is there something preventing you from getting a passport from your country? Do they have an embassy in the US?

*or something else they find acceptable instead of a passport, such as a Reentry Permit or Refugee Travel Document. Some countries don't accept them, so you'll have to check with each country's requirements, call their embassy if necessary.

Also, in case something happens to the ship, it may be necessary to fly back to the USA. You will not be allowed on a plane without a passport.

Also, in case something happens to the ship, it may be necessary to fly back to the USA. You will not be allowed on a plane without a passport.

For an emergency situation like that, the airlines would be informed and they'd let affected passengers board without a passport if they have another valid entry document recognized by the US, especially green card holders for whom a passport is NOT a requirement to enter the US.

For an emergency situation like that, the airlines would be informed and they'd let affected passengers board without a passport if they have another valid entry document recognized by the US, especially green card holders for whom a passport is NOT a requirement to enter the US.
In theory, yes. I do not really think the OP would like to test it out.

In theory, yes. I do not really think the OP would like to test it out.

no way hah of course not.
so basically, i would need to bring my home country's passport and the GC of course.
and whether i need a visa depends on my nationality, correct?

so basically, i would need to bring my home country's passport and the GC of course.
and whether i need a visa depends on my nationality, correct?
Yes. Inquire what ports you will be visiting on the cruise, and then try to Google or use Timatic (I am not sure if it applies to sea travel as well).

Couple of years ago when I went on a cruise as a GC holder, every time the ship re-entered US waters, the CBP came on board and we had to clear immigration. They asked for both a GC and passport.

Hope this helps.

Couple of years ago when I went on a cruise as a GC holder, every time the ship re-entered US waters, the CBP came on board and we had to clear immigration. They asked for both a GC and passport.

It is routine procedure for them to ask for both the GC and passport. However, under the law the GC is sufficient for entry without the passport, and they will let you in without the passport. You'll probably have to explain why you lack a passport, and some explanations are easier to convince them than others (it's easy if they already knows the reason, like with asylees), but ultimately they will let you in.

I personally always feel the passport should be carried anytime one sets foot abroad regardless of what the rules allow or disallow, plain and simple.

Thanks, all of the replies were helpful.
I'm usually a pretty cautious person and doesn't like to take much risks. Sounds like if I were to go, I should definitely bring my passport and of course, the GC. Now I just need to find out if visa is required for my home country S. Korea. Otherwise, everything else seems good to go!

Your passport will allow you visa free travel to a decent number of countries.

I just found out Bahama is a visa-exempted for my nationality and pretty happy about it!
I didn't serve the mandatory millitary service for my home country though... wonder if that will be any issue. I doubt anyone here would know that so I'm just more like babbling.
I was brought here as a young child and overstayed visa but became a US GC holder @ 21yrs old.

The Bahamians will not care.

But S. Korea may care, if jb90304 has to apply for passport renewal. Apparently he/she doesn't have a valid passport. People with valid passports usually aren't concerned about if/why/where they have to carry their passport for international travel -- they just carry it no matter what.