Anyone been approved in Garden City, NY, recently?

I've been been on this forum off and on since I first filed almost a year back. I've been following this thread quite religiously- sorry I never posted, but it seems quite impossible- I don't know how I managed to get registered and post this time. Always failed before.

I don't have much to contribute at this point- but reading chrisz' post, I didn't want this thread to die back. I am yet another one, waiting for the results of my interview which was barely one week back.

Btw, our interviewer wasn't so nice- all I've read on this forum is how nice interviewers are. LOL. Not for meee! Anyway, not that it makes a difference- I just wish it was a more pleasant experience.

Btw, my case is also based on marriage to USC. I've managed to create a signature, but sorry, I don't remember dates. I don't know how you guys remember your dates so religiously!

Oh, if this helps anyone- I had a terrible experience with my EAD, had to contact my congresswoman's office- and they were absolutely AMAZING!!! They took action within 24 hrs! Actually less! Few weeks ago, I know on this thread itself, someone was talking about her and wanting info. I was dying to post back then to relay my experience but never figured out how to post. Sorry!
It was Congresswoman Maloney. If anyone needs info on her, please ask me. I went to her website and followed instructions and mailed her a letter. The very next day, less than 24 hrs after I had dropped the letter in the mailbox, I got a call from her office. Within the next 10 days, it was all sorted out!

I'd love to run to her now as well, since it seems I'm on the same limbo as others. But I feel, it's not an emergency or a desperate situation yet, so I should wait to ask for extra help.

justifiled, i'm glad to see that you are now able to post.
Can you please let me know if your case was marriage based or relative based?
Keep us posted.
Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
jdawg9 said:
justified, i'm glad to see that you are now able to post.
Can you please let me know if your case was marriage based or relative based?
Keep us posted.
Thanks.

Jdawg, yes its based on marriage to USC. Thought I mentioned that in my previous post- guess it got lost somewhere in all my blabbering.

PS: My handle is "justfiled" (just filed). It sure looks like 'justified' though, huh? I was very confused there for a sec. Thought I registered something else by mistake.

justfiled said:
Jdawg, yes its based on marriage to USC. Thought I mentioned that in my previous post- guess it got lost somewhere in all my blabbering.

PS: My handle is "justfiled" (just filed). It sure looks like 'justified' though, huh? I was very confused there for a sec. Thought I registered something else by mistake.
thanks for posting, glad there are more people come and share all kinds of experiences.
Jestfiled, would you mind share your interview experience? what do u mean by u had horrible interview? are they picking on you or there are some other factors involved? you know i will have mine next month, just curisou to know all kinds of "tricks". sometimes when you are dealing with USCIS, it is very hard, even harder than GRE.
please share your experience.
thanks

Corrected :) My eyes were playing tricks on me.
You did mention that, I must overlooked that. Strike 2 on me.

I'm seriously thinking about contacting my congresswoman Carolyn McCarthy about the case next week (I want to try to contact them first). Its great to hear that you had a positive experience with your congresswoman helping you. I did call my local congresswoman's office to find out if they could help me find out why i wasn't getting an interview notice for my i-485 and they didn't even returned my message.

The woman was nitpicking us about everything in general. Didn't ask me very hard questions but really grilled my husband.

Asked us a billion questions about our dog- go figure! I think she was just anal in general. Wasn't 'horrible' as such because there's nothing we have to hide or be in trouble for- but just wasn't as easy as others here have had it either. She did not smile even once and was very grouchy.

At the end she said she would let us know a decision in the mail in a few weeks. We asked if our background check was completed or not and she said: oh, i will have to check on that too. She didn't say 'yes' or 'no'.

That was that. She seemed pretty satisfied with all our evidence though. Didn't ask for anything else. Just a lot of questions and a sour attitude.

chrisz said:
thanks for posting, glad there are more people come and share all kinds of experiences.
Jestfiled, would you mind share your interview experience? what do u mean by u had horrible interview? are they picking on you or there are some other factors involved? you know i will have mine next month, just curisou to know all kinds of "tricks". sometimes when you are dealing with USCIS, it is very hard, even harder than GRE.
please share your experience.
thanks

Chrisz: As long as you have filed the paperwork in order and carry all the requested documents you should be fine. Hey, don't forget to ask for the stamp as I did :) Good Luck.

marion_etka said:
hey guys!
I just want to let you know that I am still waiting :( It has been over two months now :mad:

It really angers me how things are done in NY and in places where they don't stamp your passport and are not able to reach a decision at the conclusion of the interview.
What is the logical explanation? Why other officers in other DOs can approve or deny (or request 2nd interview) while NY and other DO's can't?

JDAWG9,
Almost a moth for you, and you are still waiting for decision. i totally feel your anger. but there is nothing we can do at this point for USCIS.
i don't know if this will help,
do you recall the officer's name who interviewed you? can you give her a calll directly and ask for the decision? says that you need a job and you need a proof. i mean, be understandable, brkly was waiting for decision and he was successfully rush to get done. there is definitely a way to get this over, just whether you have time and energy to to it.
have you checked online status?

I know someone who's been waiting for almost 6 weeks from her interview in Garden City.

Sigh. I would love to take action on my own case, but I feel I should let it simmer for a while before I try to bring things to a rapid boil, lol.

My main worry was being able to travel, which, since I am still pending, is not a concern anymore since its okay to continue using AP. But it would be nice to put an end to all this once and for all and lock away all our paperwork forever.

I was so gung-ho about going to the interview and asking for a stamp. Especially after reading about Amherst's experience the day before, I was certain I'd be able to convince them, seeing that I really genuinely require to travel. But after seeing my grouchy interviewer and seeing that my case was definitely not going to be approved that day, there was no point in even bringing it up.

My husband and I had our interview on March 13, 2006. We were told we would have a decision within 90 days. My lawyer said we should hear something within 60 days (that's the processing times she has been seeing coming out of the Garden City office).

A friend who had their interview in GC on February 22, 2006 just received their welcome notice on Monday.

So looks like it could be anywhere between 30-90 days.

Good luck everyone....
we've come this far.....it is just a matter of time.

"Notice to conditional Resident Alien" Yellow Sheet

Hi Guys and thanks for all the insights you bring based on our different cases. My question is, after the interview (Marriage case to a US citizen) the officer gave me a yellow sheet titled "Notice to conditional Resident Alien" that says that you've been granted Permanent Conditional Resident that gives the details on how I should go about to file the form I-751 to waive the conditional status and transform it to a permanent status. I just wanted to know if everyone is given that same yellow sheet of paper right after their interviews by their immigration officer no matter what the officer told them about his/her decision. Anyone knows anything about this? Please drop me line. Any opinon is welcomed and thanks to everyone........
Interview was at Garden City on March 13th, 2006.

we were interviewed same day and did not get that. what did they write in your passport? approved, pending? did you get a stamp? or better than that, what did the officer say?

My Online Message Changed Today

Application Type: I485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or to Adjust Status

Current Status:

On March 21, 2006, after approving your application, we ordered you a new card. Your card will be mailed to you as soon as it is ready.

WOW, I am happy :)
Although I got the stamp on my passport, but knowing that I will be getting the card soon FEELS sooo good.
don't get me wrong, I fought for 2 months to get the stamp... read my earlier posts.
And good luck to everyone.
BTW, I got the passport stamped on Friday 3/17/2006 in Garden City.
My interview was on 1/19/2006.
The online message changed today. Exactly 5 days after the stamp (Real approval). So guys, if you go to the interview and the officer says that He/She will approve the case... and they stamp the file. then it means that you already cleared background checks and FBI name check ... THEN You can ask the officer to process the stamp on your passport. You can tell them that you need it for your employment or you need to do a business trip... just give them any stupid reason, or tell them that you need to see your MOM overseas and that she is not feeling good; also mention that you can wait outside in the waiting area for another hour or two for passport stamp; this should work... BUT THIS IS IF OFFICER STAMPS THE FILE or Approves it while interview.
Good luck everyone.. and you can send me a private message for further consultations and advices on this issues. you can leave your cell # and I will call you with details on what I did exactly.
:)
I will post more stuff here when I receive the welcome letter and/or the plastic card.

BY THE WAY I saw this funny question on these forums: After you receive the green card, what can you do with it...!! or what is your life after Green Card!!
I don't remember the idiot who asked the question but he/she made me laugh... :)

yellow sheet

Thanks Ceecee for answering...The officer definately told us that he's reviewing the case (so the case is pending) and he'll reach us through the mail. He did not stamp the Passport (he just took the I-94 and attached it to his file). He just gave me that yellow sheet titled "Notice to Conditional Resident Aliens" at the end of the interview telling me that these are the instructions you should follow once you get the card through the mail to remove the conditional status. His writing on the Passport is really tough to read but is says something like:
245 Section ny/cc
Case pending (I believe so)
CR6 (or CRC) note sure about that part
and he signed at the bottom...

Has anybody had a situation similar to mine? Let me know what u think...

Last edited by a moderator:
speaking of taking away I-94 at the interview. Why would they take it away if there is no decision?
I have two petitions. 1, obviously current PD with my LPR mother and another with my USC sister (that is not current yet) or what if I (in the worst case scenario) get denied and need my I-94 again for the other petition or if i applied in the future through marriage?
Would they return it? (I kept a copy just in case, but i'm sure they won't accept it in any future interview).

Jamstones said:
His writing on the Passport is really tough to read but is says something like:
245 Section ny/cc
Case pending (I believe so)
CR6 (or CRC) note sure about that part
and he signed at the bottom...

Has anybody had a situation similar to mine? Let me know what u think...
He (we determined we had the same officer), also write similar things on my passport.
CR6 i think refers to your green card category (Conditional Resident type 6).
Mine was F27 (Family Based 2nd preference 7 something ;) ).