Anyone asked for state tax returns at interview?

I wasn't asked for any tax returns at interview; but I did have federal tax return transcripts with me. Never bothered to get state tax returns...as far as I know, it's pretty rare they ask for state tax returns.
wait till some others post and see what they say.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey

I had my interview and oath on 19 Nov 2008. I had both federal and state tax transcript with me.

I was NOT asked for any transcript or for that matter any dcoument. The only thing that was asked was the traffic related fine documentation.

My suggestion, take the state tax transcript. At least in MD you just have fax the request and they will send it within a week.

vik_b
I am a layman not a lawyer treat my advice appropriately.

Where do you get a state tax transcript? I've tried to check on our state's website(s) and haven't found any link to where I can request for a transcript. I do have the print out of our electronic state tax filing so I guess I'll take that.

Where do you get a state tax transcript? I've tried to check on our state's website(s) and haven't found any link to where I can request for a transcript. I do have the print out of our electronic state tax filing so I guess I'll take that.

A copy of electronic tax filing is acceptable.

Like many others, I only took my federal tax transcripts to the interview. The IO didn't even want to look at them. He stated that the USCIS only wants to see tax returns if the applicant is self-employed. However, I still suggest bringing them to the interview. It's much better to be overprepared than be underprepared and walk away with a continuance letter due to the inability to provide some minor document.

eau_xaplin

Generally you call the state finance deprtment or write to them. They should send you a certified copy in few weeks.

vik_b
I am not a lawyer. Please treat my comments appropriately.
PD 7/29/08
FP 8/23/08
IL 10/15/08
I and Oath 11/20/08

Would it be enough to bring all the copies of 1040 and the corresponding copies of state tax returns I have in my possession for the last 5 years (I use the "old" way to file my taxes by sending the forms to IRS)? Is it OK or do I have to contact IRS and ask them to send me the copies? I have all my copies inlcuding 1040s, state tax forms, wage forms, bank statements for the last 5 years in my file. May I just bring them as a proof that I have paid all my taxes?

What forms exactly belongs to state tax? I am having headache just looking at this pages and there are so many different forms within: 1040, IT 201, IT 215, 8867, different schedules (C, SE, EIC), SE Earnings etc.
Which one should I have handy as state tax - beside the usual tax transcripts?

eau_xaplin

Generally you call the state finance deprtment or write to them. They should send you a certified copy in few weeks.

vik_b
I am not a lawyer. Please treat my comments appropriately.
PD 7/29/08
FP 8/23/08
IL 10/15/08
I and Oath 11/20/08

Thank you for the info. I probably won't have time to wait for that as my interview will be on Dec 8. I'll just take the electronic confirmation of our state filing.