Any paper work needed to be done for GC holders when leaving US for an outside trip

gchetna100

Registered Users (C)
My parents got their Green Card and have come to the US for a month from India. They have not recieved their permanent cards. They just have a stamp of entry as new immigrants on their passports. Since they are here only for a month, the permanent cards might not come before they go back to India. They will come back within a year to maintain their green card. Do they have to do any sort of paper work before they leave the US? What will they do if their permanent cards come to their US address after a month. Will they need to have the permanent cards on them when they re-enter within a year?

Yes, i think if you get the card, you might need to mail them or send with someone as when they enter next time, they might need to have the actual card. You might want to double check though.

No paper work needed for GCs before leaving the country, right?

There is no other paperwork that needs to be done before they leave though right?. I will make sure that their Green cards are sent to sent before they re-enter. But other than that they don't need to fill any forms etc before leaving, right?

not if they are leaving for less than a year.

If more than a year and less than two - they need to apply for re-entry permit, form I-131. Then they can leave. It will take about a year to get re-entry permit, but they don't need to be here when it is finally approved. you can just send it to them. :) But they need to be here when they apply for it.

Also, don't forget to get SSNs for them and perhaps a state ID, if time allows. :)

No paper work is required for GC card holders to leave and enter the country. However, please make sure that they do not stay for an extended period of time in India. When they return after an extended period of time outside the country the immigration officer at the port of entry can deny their entry into the country. www.passintl.com

Ditto what lucy said

GC holders have the priveledge of leaving the US whenever they want to and not have to apply for AP or anything like that.

However only citizens get the exclusive right to leave for more than a year without telling anyone.

you have to get a re-entry permit if more than a year but you can do that at the consulate and I believe you can extend it for another two years.

also a word of caution about leaving the country with GC. Be sure your GC is still valid by the time you come back!!!! If not make sure it is before you leave. That will save you a major headache and possible fine. Also now with all the added security at the borders they really scrutinize over something like that and make you wait forever.

my mistake

you have to initially apply for it here

but you can get it extended up to 3 years at the consulate

sorry for the confusion