Any May filers around?

wow...damn 1 hour!

mine, they took my I94 and ask me to keep the ead. She said basically I am approved and just have to wait the process go thru case by case. And later that day, I received email notice I-130 has been approved. That what last Thursday night. The following Monday, I received email notice about I485 card production been ordered. I received the I130 actual notice. I received another email on Wed saying that my welcome package is on the way.

Friends.......i rcvd my GC in mail yesterday......the picture is lovely;something i would gladly show-off to everybody(not like the usual pp size photos) :)
Here ends my wait and journey for at least 2 years!!!

Looks to me like one part of this journey is over, another one has just begun. I'm guessing it'll be a little more than a year before we have to start preparing for the I-751 application, maybe around the time we file 2008 taxes (in 2009).

We've already started off our new evidence by opening another joint bank account today. :D

MagdaJ, not sure if you're interested in this, 5% interest checking account from Capital One, rate available in Austin/San Antonio area only, promo good until Oct. 15. We've already opened one of them five months ago and have been very satisfied.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats guys and gal...

i received my welcome notice in the mail today...welcoming me to USA even i been here almost 10 years :)
Hopefully my GC will be here anytime soon..received the notice of card production last week

Austriacus!!!! CONGRATS!!!!! I am so happy for you and I am sorry it was such a long interview... but the outcome matters! Yes, we had a hard time finding a parking space,too... sorry I forgot to mention this.

Thanks for the info about the bank, yes we need to open a new account because we are planning to close one of the joint accounts, well I am in Vegas now so I won't be able to open it during the promo time, and my husband will be flying to meet me in Reno and we will both be back in Austin on the 17th (2 days after the promo), oh well, hopefully there will be some other deals. By the way, where are you from? San Antonio? Austin? Once again, big congrats!

Praetorian, congrats on the driver's license!!! mine is valid for 6,5 years, until my birthday.

I am waiting for the green card in mail, I got the last LUD with the approval notice being sent, so I guess a few more days and I should get it, my hubby is supposed to be checking the mailbox.

Anyway, congrats to all the May filers!!! We all did so well. How many more are left?

MagdaJ, "thanks for the nice words"!

If you're in Vegas till the 17th maybe there won't be any money left to put into your new bank accounts... ;) Or perhaps it'll be so much you can buy your own bank. Don't worry there are other deals, 6% checking account at United Heritage Credit Union would be one of the best (but you have to meet some conditions). Check out bankdeals blog, the blogger is a fellow Austinite I think (but he posts nationwide deals so it's useful for anyone). As for me, I live in our state capital as well!

How did you like Sea World? My wife would be interested too but I noticed it's $$. We ended up not doing any sightseeing but will go back to San Antonio for sightseeing on a weekend (when we're more relaxed and have time). Wonderworld in San Marcos and Natural Bridge Caverns just outside San Antonio would also be on our list. My wife and I have never been any further south than Austin together, so this is completely unexplored territory for us. Ironically, the only other time I've been to San Antonio was because a friend needed a ride to the INS ten years ago.

Now that I think of it, I'm glad it was a difficult interview. I think it will make us take the requirements for removal of condition much more serious in 2 years, and I think that was the IOs intention. It would have been more tragic if this interview was easy and then they'd make it difficult in two years.

Hey I found something I can look forward to getting now, which is a new Social Security card. I had misplaced my 12 year old one but found it while looking for my old immigration documents. This one has "valid for work only with INS authorization" written on it ... now I can get one without that ... cool. But in reality it probably doesn't matter. At least the new one would be crisp and not accidentally washed and written on with colored markers like my old one. :D

We should all try to keep this thread going since we'll all be meeting again in just under two years to file for our removal of condition!

Here's one more thought for everyone - I think we still need to obtain a Departing Alien Clearance (aka Sailing Permit) everytime we leave the country. From the exceptions on the IRS website or Publication 519 I don't see LPR's exempted from that.

All of you who now are about to open your first bank accounts or credit cards in the US, be sure to take advantage of account opening bonuses - often $50-100 and sometimes as much as $200. The US banking industry is very competitive.

Hey Austriacus, what is that forum you mentioned a while ago, something about a "fat wallet" or something..?

I need to start building up credit (I have none :p). Any suggestions?

I have already started building my credit, I have two credit cards... Getting a social security number a while ago alowed me to do that. By the way Austriacus, my soccial security card has the same restriction as yours, but the IO told me to wait for the green card to be able to remove this restriction... And anyway, I also added my hubby's last name to mine, so this also needs to be added on the social securtiy card.
I am so glad we all are so free now and we can do whatever we want...
So what about this departing alien's clearance? Never heard of this... And I am going back to my country at the end of October!

As far as Sea world, yes it was kind of pricey, but if you go online, you can buy a 2-day pass for only 3 dollars more than the 1-day pass, this makes you think you didn't pay that much...
I need to remember those other places you mentioned, I haven't been there...

Take care everyone!

Austriacus, I just read the link about this departure permit, and I am not sure if I should do this... I still don't work... and they mention all the time your taxes, income employer... What about other people on this forum? Have you traveled with this permit or without after getting your green card? I need to ask Tommy_chicago, he just went to Poland.

Hey Austriacus, what is that forum you mentioned a while ago, something about a "fat wallet" or something..?

I need to start building up credit (I have none :p). Any suggestions?

Very close! fatwallet forums or more specifically fatwallet finance has lots of information about best bank deposit rates, best credit cards, signup bonuses for banks and credit cards, car test drive bonuses, etc. etc... fatwallet also has an extensive deals section for all kinds of products (mostly consumer electronics/computers), restaurant coupons, you name it. The credit card deals on fatwallet will usually already assume you have good credit for most of the deals they post.

More specific to banks would be bankdeals blog or credit union deals blog, then there's also MyMoneyBlog and last but not least PF Blog for those who aspire to become millionaires. If you're interested in reducing your inflation risk you can also look at the Savings Bond Advisor ... these are some of my favorite financial sites.

About building good credit, there are several ways to go about it. I used my foreign credit card for the first five years or so, consequently had no credit, and one time almost didn't get approved for an apartment lease because of it. But I've already had an account with a credit union for several years, and they approved me for my first US credit card. So this would be one way, establish an account, keep it in good condition, and later apply for a credit card from the same bank (in my case it was a credit union ... it might be easier to get a credit union card). Another way to get a credit card with no credit is to get a "secured card" which means you deposit the amount of your credit line with the lender before (then they are more willing to give you a card). Another way to establish credit is to get a car loan, and it may require a co-signer. (I got a loan on my car even though I didn't need it, just to have it on my credit report. I paid off a large part of the balance in the month after I got the loan, which reduced the interest a lot.) And yet another way is to become an "authorized user" on someone else's credit account (like your wife) although the credit scoring models are changing and apparently authorized users will not be considered anymore for credit scoring.

Essentially what they are looking for is that you make your payments on time, that you have a long history, and that you don't "max out" your cards. So the best thing to do would be to stay below 30%-50% of your credit line at all times, even if you pay the card off every month.

What's also important is that for the credit score it never matters "what you have" only "what you can owe." So putting a million dollars into a bank account wouldn't get you a high credit score, but having a couple of unutilized cards with $10,000 limits and a multi-year perfect payment history will. Don't be surprised if they start you out with $200 or $500 limit!

MagdaJ, good for you that you already have two cards, you're way ahead of the game. I hope they are rewards cards of some sort, like 5% cash back or something! (Chase Cash Rewards or Citi Dividend Cards - unfortunately no longer available with 5%.)

Thanks for the 2-day pass info for Sea World! About the Social Security Card, I figured that I'd have to wait for the actual card, I think I read in one thread they didn't accept the I-551 stamp. Do I have to go to the office that's at the I-35/Hwy 290 intersection area (Camino La Costa)?

About the departure permit, most people I know (on H-1B) never get it. I've gotten it everytime so far (you actually need to go to the local IRS office, I-35 & Rundberg), and the IRS employees appear to not be processing this form very often. When I re-enter, the IO at the point of entry usually just looks at it briefly as they flip through the passport. All I can say is that it hasn't hurt me so far to have it, but none of my co-workers were ever asked for it when they entered the country.

About you having no income ... correct but since you live in a community property state, half of your husband's income is also yours I believe. (But I'm not an accountant so don't quote me on that.) In any case, that's why they require your husband's as well as your earnings statements when you get your departure permit.

To give you a little more detail, I usually procrastinate and get it a couple days before I travel. I fill it out online and print it (I don't think they usually have the form for it at our IRS office but one time they had it), then take it to the IRS office, often there's a wait of about an hour, then you meet with an IRS employee and they go through your documents and stamp the form for you. It can be done within one day. I think one time I even did it on the day before we left.

You're welcome. Don't be surprised if they don't know exactly what you are talking about, for me they always have to read up in their IRS procedure manual what this is even about.

The intent of this departure permit is to prevent people from leaving the country permanently/long term without paying all their taxes, probably that's why it's not usually an issue when people don't have it when they go on a short overseas vacation. Maybe it's also because it's an IRS form but the USCIS is inforcing immigration laws that there's a disconnect. Would it matter whether you have it or not ... probably not. Would I get it if it only requires the short form 2063 ... yes. Would I get it if you have to file 1040C ... no.

MagdaJ, I refer you to Publication 555 regarding community property state rules ... my understanding from it is your husband's income would be considered community income under the rules, so you are liable for filing a tax return even without a penny of having earned any money yourself (if he makes more than the minimum filing requirement) ... welcome to the great community property state of Texas :p

I just realized that I unleashed a monster by mentioning fatwallet forums.

Pretty soon we'll see the thousandth post at fatwallet by a certain "Praetorian" (at fatwallet this is termed a "Senior Member 1K") who will get a "100 green rating" for posting right from his iPhone as he drives by Redneckville National Bank and reports having seen a $250 sign-up bonus for their credit card or the highest savings account rate in the nation, or for walking into Redneckville Electronics Store and finding you can buy an iPhone and by combining different rebates and price matching and store coupons and mispriced ads they would actually pay you 5 bucks to take that iPhone. :D

I just realized that I unleashed a monster by mentioning fatwallet forums.

Pretty soon we'll see the thousandth post at fatwallet by a certain "Praetorian" (at fatwallet this is termed a "Senior Member 1K") who will get a "100 green rating" for posting right from his iPhone as he drives by Redneckville National Bank and reports having seen a $250 sign-up bonus for their credit card or the highest savings account rate in the nation, or for walking into Redneckville Electronics Store and finding you can buy an iPhone and by combining different rebates and price matching and store coupons and mispriced ads they would actually pay you 5 bucks to take that iPhone. :D

We''ll see ;)...