Any May filers around?

k.ambrose, thanks for your reply. My husband can still be self-employed but there is a license he needs to get in this new state and the training for the license will only start on september 4th.
I won't go much into details, but will it look bad if he were to stay in this city while I move by myself for 3 weeks or so? This way I can attend school and he can still work here and continue to be eligible as sponsor. After the interview he could then move without having to rush into finding a job (it is not a guarantee he will find one) etc. Any advice? Thank you.

You're welcome :) I do not think it will look bad; many couples before us have applied while staying in different states/cites/parts of the country because of work commitments, school etc. In fact, I live in Dover,DE while my husband lives in NJ (although I plan to move to NJ early next year for school) and it's all because of job commitments. I know of several successful AOS cases where one spouse lived in the East coast and the other in the West.

In my opinion, if your husband remains in your current city and can show that he is actively looking for jobs in the new place and/or show that he plans to take that training and move in with you shortly, it would look convincing. Tell the interviewer abt the training start date and explain that you need to have the income coming in the meantime. I sincerely believe that yours is not a complicated situation at all. I wish you all the best and hope this helps in some way.

it took a while. But the lady was extremely helpfull, she tried everything she could. It was the first time she had seen that particular stamp.

I can start working but I really need a DL. :mad:

I do know how it works in Alabama but in NJ SSN is not required to get DL ... I-551 is enough ..... SSN is required to be shown with EAD .....

is different in every state and Alabama requires you to show your SSN or a letter of inability to obtain one. I can't get either one.

congrats on the stamp

I'm in the same boat USCIS still haven't updated their database so I'm still stuck waiting to get my SSN

I been waiting for them to verify my documents since June 26 and it is still pending as of today
You've been waiting almost 2 months for the uscis to verify your documents?? That's crazy. The letter I got from SSA said that it may take up to four weeks, not longer than that.

"If immigration office verifies the authenticity of your documents we will mail you a Social Security card. If that office does not verify your documents, you're not eligible for a SS card and we will inform you of this in writing"

You haven't received anything from them yet??

At my local SSA office they were not going to "verify with USCIS" anything. I mean, they did not doubt the legitimacy of my I-551 stamp.

The problem is that when they queried their system. I do not show as a resident yet (because USCIS has not updated their system).

I just received an email stating that "approval notice sent" for my EAD; so I'm hoping it arrives here soon.

nehasharma, I noticed that your interview letter took some time to get to you as well. Do you think it's because you're all the way in the west coast? They're mailing out these mails from Lee's Summit in Missouri using USPS first-class mail :rolleyes: . Hope you get your EAD by the end of this week. Don't worry!

Congrats on your approval notice sent. I dont know whats the reason for late IL. But EAD card took a while :rolleyes: . I received my EAD card yesterday :D . I have a question, will Social Security office change my name on SSN card with EAD card??

Thanks
Neha

Congrats on your approval notice sent. I dont know whats the reason for late IL. But EAD card took a while :rolleyes: . I received my EAD card yesterday :D . I have a question, will Social Security office change my name on SSN card with EAD card??

Thanks
Neha

Congratulations to you on receiving your EAD. One way to know if mails are taking more time to reach you is to check the stamp on the mail. Was it really sent out on 8th or 9th Aug?

Why not wait until getting the green card and Legal Permanent Resident status before going to the Social Security Admin. to get name changed (I'm assuming that it's changing from your maiden to married last name)? Also, waiting until after you receive your green card would be better as you need to go there to remove the "Work only with DHS authorization" from you SSC.

I am unsure if you would be able to change your last name with an EAD and marriage certificate alone.

At my local SSA office they were not going to "verify with USCIS" anything. I mean, they did not doubt the legitimacy of my I-551 stamp.

The problem is that when they queried their system. I do not show as a resident yet (because USCIS has not updated their system).

Well that's a different situation altogether, I am talking about going to the SS office with the EAD. I guess in that case they have to verify the documentation

Hey everyone, it's been a while since I've checked in. My appointment isn't for a while but I wanted to ask a question. My husband and I don't wear rings, and we don't care to in the future, but should we get rings for the interview? I was wondering if not having any will ruin our chances. We live together and have many other forms of proof that we are a genuine couple but I know some people think rings are big deal. Any ideas?

Just checked my gmail from India. This is the update on the case status. :) :D :cool:

" On August 17, 2007, we ordered production of your new card. Please allow 30 days for your card to be mailed to you. "

Its such a relief that they updated the system. We can expect the card in next 2 weeks.

Goodluck everyone who are waiting.

Prasad.

Just checked my gmail from India. This is the update on the case status. :) :D :cool:

" On August 17, 2007, we ordered production of your new card. Please allow 30 days for your card to be mailed to you. "

Its such a relief that they updated the system. We can expect the card in next 2 weeks.

Prasad.

Great news! I am still waiting they updated the system for my case.. :p

Good to hear your card's on its way,mpanati. Congrats :) Let us know when you get it.
So who're up for interviews this week?

Congratulations to you on receiving your EAD. One way to know if mails are taking more time to reach you is to check the stamp on the mail. Was it really sent out on 8th or 9th Aug?

Why not wait until getting the green card and Legal Permanent Resident status before going to the Social Security Admin. to get name changed (I'm assuming that it's changing from your maiden to married last name)? Also, waiting until after you receive your green card would be better as you need to go there to remove the "Work only with DHS authorization" from you SSC.

I am unsure if you would be able to change your last name with an EAD and marriage certificate alone.

My EAD cards has date 7/28 on it:rolleyes:

Prasad.

Congratulations Mpanati. How is India trip treating you? My mom dad came here to visit me and they are liking it a lot :D .

Neha