Any J1 persons on deportations process??? Need your help please.

kvsch

Registered Users (C)
I am new to the forum however my wife is constantly searching ways to end our ordeal. I am happily married to my wife for 1 year and we are starting the I-612 form and using the hardship approach. I am very worried and its getting to a point where it is hard for me to live in constant despair. I just want to know if anyone had their J1 waiver denied and if so what happens? Can you re-appeal and goto court? What can you do to fight?? Some lawyers we spoke to said that she would have to go back to her home country and reside for 2 years. Does the INS proceed with the deportation process??? If so do they do it immediately???

Thank you for your time.

I don't think they would start the deportation process, she would simply be out of status if her waiver is rejected and her J1 status expires. I do not think you can go to court to fight the decision. Usually, it's not recommended for J1s to overstay their visas/status. Why are you going with hardship first? If she did not have government funding, no objection is the easiest.

Thank you Nemu for the reply

Thank you Nemu for the reply.

I failed to mention that my wife did finish her J1 program and she did go back to her home country for 3 1/2 months. Her English wasn't up to par so she didn't notice the 212(E) stipulation on her passport which states the 2 year Home Residence. Since she had her B2 tourist Visa she decided to come back to the U.S. however she overstayed. March 2003 was the date she had to leave the U.S. So now we are married for a year and decide to progress forward to get her residency. And the lawyers are telling us to file an I-612 under hardship of the U.S. spouse. Therefore is it possible for the INS to do such a thing to deport? We have been to the first INS interview where we did prove our marriage is genuine. The interviewer said that all we are missing is the I-612 form. Thanks for reading

You are exactly in the same situation as me. Did you get a chance to read my thread here

I was told when USCIS denied my AOS that I would have to leave the country immidiately. I was so panic and I know exactly how to be in that situation. I'm so scared that I would be deported if I don't leave and try to overstay. I don't want to leave my husband and I was afraid that if I do I wouldn't be able to come back. But this is what I learn so far...

1. If you are married to a USC, your overstay is forgiven.
2. Deportation usually happen if you commit a crime or harm the country. One of the lawyers said "it always seems likely that if you don't cause any trouble, they won't cause you any trouble." So, just hang low. It takes a long time to fix the problem and that time is so painful, but things will work out.
3.You have 30 days to file motion to reopen although USCIS told me all along that I can't because they said that my only choice is to leave the country if I'm subject to 2 years HRR. I fight so hard for it because I know that I'm not subject and the rule was issue to me in error.
4. Now let's say that you missed that 30 days to file MTR, you can always refile I-485. That'll buy you more time and it cost about the same amount of money if you file MTR. The disadvantage is you just have to do everything all over again. ( ...oh...you can use the same medical exam result though...just make a notation for them to refer to the first one if it's within one yr.)
5. Like I said in the other thread that you post, you should better try to get "advisory opinion" first. There, they'll look at whether au pair is in the skill list of your country or receive any government fund. And if you keep looking at these two grounds million of times, you'll know that au pair shouldn't be subject to 2 yrs HRR. That's how I was confident that the rule was given to me in error. But unluckily, you just have to have the document in writting. And the only people who can fix that notation for you is DOS. So, get started there.
6. Hardship is always a hard one. My lawyer would use that as a last choice if all the ways that we can possible try don't work out. But like I said, you don't even need to get a waiver if you are not even subject to the rule. If you have time and not in a hurry to get it done, why not try advisory opinion first, and if it still say that you are subject (but again chance is low that you are really subject), look for another way to get a waiver. Advisory opinion doesn't cost anything and it's probably the best way to start your case.

Good luck.

Re #1. Just clarification, overstay is not a big problem if you get a waiver or not a subject to 2 years HRR.