Any experience with traveling with H1B+I485 receipt?

gc4201

Registered Users (C)
Due to the slow processing time of AP, I had to travel using H1B. Does anyone have experience with traveling with H1B recently? I understand in addition to H1B approval, original I-485 receipt is also needed, is there anything else? Any special question asked at the port? Do we need to present I-485 receipt together with H1B approval notice or present the receipt upon request? I am from visa waiver program country, therefore, doesn't need visa stamp.

Thanks for sharing experience.

You dont need a I485 receipt if you have a valid H1

I went out of the country and came back just a month before my H1 was about to expire. All I showed was my H1 and they let me in.

i travelled for 5 years w/o problems on H1

than since 2003 they said you need AP till I had see a secondary information officer and he aplogized. One officer earlier argued that since had an applied and expired AP he entered me in as a Parolee for one year. Even though the lawyer and the web site stated differently he did not listen.

In summary a little hastle but you never know and if any bidy has had a similar experience let me know.
Spouse travelled same airport similar documents never asked for AP!!

I was exactly in the same situation two years back and just valid visa and passport is quite sufficient. But if you have any other credentials, it does not hurt to carry them. Just to be on the safe side with immigration department at the time of entry into US again.

Good Luck

Originally posted by gc4201
I am from visa waiver program country, therefore, doesn't need visa stamp.

Just because you're from a country that's part of the VWP doesn't mean you don't need the H stamp. The VWP is only for B entries, not for any other status. The only nations that are exempt from visa stamps in H status are Canada and the Bahamas, if I recall correctly.

thanks for pointing this out. I am a canadian citizen (my mistake, I just know that Canada is not actually part of visa waiver countries). Anyway, What I have now is a newly approved H1B EOS (hence the new I-94 with 3 year's expiry date), I-485 receipt. I just applied a new Canadian passport. My attorney told me that I don't need the visa stamp or visa revalidation (whatever it is called) on my passport, which my own research seems to be in line with her words. Anyone has the same experience (Canadian I485 pending traveling with H1B I-94 without visa stamp before re-entering US?), would appreciate a lot if someone can share this experience.

My past experienced in early 2001 was when I re-entered US with new H1B, INS at the border will stamp one in my passport, but did not require me to get a visa stamp before entering the US. But that was before 9-11, not sure if it has changed.