• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Any DV2018 winner schedule for interview in Montral Canada

SAM0130

Hi there.
Can any one share there experience of getting interviews at Montral, Canada ? Do they ask for Finicial statement ? Any tips for that embassy ? Thanks you

Sam, IF you are a CANADIAN citizen as well as your country of nationality, please know that they may request your Canadian passport for the visa - also your courier registration would be the Canadian passport as well. If you don't have a Canadian passport, this won't apply to you.

Sam, IF you are a CANADIAN citizen as well as your country of nationality, please know that they may request your Canadian passport for the visa - also your courier registration would be the Canadian passport as well. If you don't have a Canadian passport, this won't apply to you.

Why do you say this? You can present any valid, unexpired passport you own for the visa. It’s an immigrant visa, it’s not like you need to use a passport from a VWP country or anything like that.

Why do you say this? You can present any valid, unexpired passport you own for the visa. It’s an immigrant visa, it’s not like you need to use a passport from a VWP country or anything like that.

Because, having just left the consulate an hour ago, I felt it was important information for Sam as he prepares for his interview. ;-)

It seems to be the process in Montreal that, regardless of what valid passport is used for the application and presented at the embassy (in our case my husband used his Dutch passport) IF you hold a CANADIAN passport as well, they want that one. And it messes up the courier because, of course, we registered it with the Dutch passport.. which I'm now dealing with and hoping doesn't cause too much of a delay. Just trying to save Sam the headache. Again, this only applies if he has a Canadian passport.

Edited to add: this information is written absolutely nowhere, or else we would have seen it. It was a total surprise. Just keeping us on our toes, I guess. :)

Because, having just left the consulate an hour ago, I felt it was important information for Sam as he prepares for his interview. ;-)

It seems to be the process in Montreal that, regardless of what valid passport is used for the application and presented at the embassy (in our case my husband used his Dutch passport) IF you hold a CANADIAN passport as well, they want that one. And it messes up the courier because, of course, we registered it with the Dutch passport.. which I'm now dealing with and hoping doesn't cause too much of a delay. Just trying to save Sam the headache. Again, this only applies if he has a Canadian passport.

Edited to add: this information is written absolutely nowhere, or else we would have seen it. It was a total surprise. Just keeping us on our toes, I guess. :)

Thanks for Sharing that valued information, we appreciate it, you mine shareing your interview experience at US embassy Montreal, did they asked for Finicial documents ? Will appreciated your detailed sharing !

Thanks for Sharing that valued information, we appreciate it, you mine shareing your interview experience at US embassy Montreal, did they asked for Finicial documents ? Will appreciated your detailed sharing !

Hi Sam,

Our case is so unique with my husband's education and work history that I can't really provide much info for the typical case. However, yes, financial statements were requested immediately (at the first window) and we provided 3 months of banking with assets in excess of Simon's recommended $10K/person which worked FOR OUR CASE. We also showed a written letter of support from my husband's parents stating they'd be providing room and board, which possibly helped. We did not have to provide an I-134.

Hi Sam,

Our case is so unique with my husband's education and work history that I can't really provide much info for the typical case. However, yes, financial statements were requested immediately (at the first window) and we provided 3 months of banking with assets in excess of Simon's recommended $10K/person which worked FOR OUR CASE. We also showed a written letter of support from my husband's parents stating they'd be providing room and board, which possibly helped. We did not have to provide an I-134.
Thank you for your reply, and congrats

How strange. I’ve never heard of that before, Montreal or anywhere. It has always been that you can present any valid passport in your possession. If it was the case that you needed your Canadian passprt, you’d think they would specify it on the pre-interview checklist. I wonder if the CO made an error, luckily not one that was a deal breaker for you.

Other long timers here, did I miss something somewhere? I’m sure I’ve never heard of this before.

How strange. I’ve never heard of that before, Montreal or anywhere. It has always been that you can present any valid passport in your possession. If it was the case that you needed your Canadian passprt, you’d think they would specify it on the pre-interview checklist. I wonder if the CO made an error, luckily not one that was a deal breaker for you.

Other long timers here, did I miss something somewhere? I’m sure I’ve never heard of this before.

Yeah, this is just the sort of thing that should probably have been in the Montreal embassy supplement. It really caught me off guard and kind of "shook" me a bit to have the process open with that complication. Especially since I have no doubt it is intended for our "convenience" (there is no reason why anyone with a Canadian passport would ever travel to the USA on any other passport, as the USA-Canadian border relationship is so unique in the traveler's favour, so I think it is to enable the carrying of just the one passport...)

We went prepared with every possible document under the sun. EVERY document. So we had both of his passports and photocopies. I don't think it was an individual error - it was brought up at the first window (document check) and then corroborated by the CO, and both ladies seemed very confident in their work. I just wish I had known in advance, because it would have been so easy to register the Canadian passport with the courier instead. Or I wish we'd have been given the choice. My husband would happily have carried two passports for a short while.

Now I am just hoping it gets sorted out on their end, because I have zero control of any of this. The courier info was locked as soon as we completed the interview, the passport number is the Canadian one now (we edited it in the parking lot mere seconds before we were locked out of the form) and the issuing country remains the Netherlands... it's a big mess. Reaching anyone on the phone who can do anything is impossible. We sent an email to a designated address, and we wait. I was SO prepared. And STILL... LOL

But on the plus side, the interview went smoothly and the CO was lovely. It is regrettable that the whole experience was a bit tarnished by the courier issue, but there were congratulations and wishes of good luck in the USA somewhere in there. I really could not have asked for a better CO for our case. She put us immediately at ease - outside of the "administrative issue" of course. :)

Our case now reads as "Issued" in CEAC. :)

Hi there,
Finally we received our 2NL today schedule for Aug first week at Montral Canada,

This is a new practice in Montreal. They prefer to issue the visa on Canadian passports for Canadian citizens interviewing there.

So after the interview in Montreal, I will not have my passport to "visit" my American husband of 40 yrs who started working down there again in anticipation of getting my green card? We have been living in Canada for the past 5 yrs. I inadvertently let my resident alien status lapse and have had to refile...though I lived and worked there for 35 yrs....

So after the interview in Montreal, I will not have my passport to "visit" my American husband of 40 yrs who started working down there again in anticipation of getting my green card? We have been living in Canada for the past 5 yrs. I inadvertently let my resident alien status lapse and have had to refile...though I lived and worked there for 35 yrs....

It's not clear if this is a question or a statement, but if you have a question it should be posted in the appropriate sub-forum - this one is to do with DV lottery.