Anti-Immigrant Calls to Congress Outnumbers Pro-CIR at 400:1

Da_BorderKid

Registered Users (C)
I decided to bring this to your attention after I saw it at http://www.immigration-law.com/

Check it out and post some reply here people......

06/14/2006: AILA Reports Anti-Immigrant Calls to Congress Outnumbers Pro-CIR at 400:1

AILA has reported that immigration restrictionists are flooding Congressional phone lines and email inboxes with angry demands that their Senators and Representatives vote against any legislation that provides a path to citizenship for undocumented immigrants. Their calls for an enforcement-only immigration policy are reportedly louder and more aggressive than ever and there are 400 of them for every 1 call from proimmigrants. AILA is concerned that the 400 to 1 intensity of the opposition to comprehensive immigration reform (S. 2611) is expected to crescendo into the November elections, making it a likely voting issue at the polls.
Considering the fact that most seats in the House are up for grab in the November election, these anti-immigration forces pose a powerful threat and road block to meaningful enactment of comprehensive immigration reform legislation.
These anti-immigration forces also appear to use a strategy to weaken the pro-immigration forces by inducing the immigrant community more and more divided between the legal and illegal immigrant communities and pushing them further and further antagonistic each other by spreading rumors that illegal immigrants would take away employment-based immigrant quota from the legal immigrants and the legal immigrant community should oppose the comprehensive immigration reform legislation as passed by the Senate. "Divide and Conquer" strategy appears to work for these immigration restrictionists.

No surprise ...

I am not at all surprised at this. I understand the anger towards illegal immigrants but legal immigrants would be stupid to think that they are not hated as well. The US is not immigrant friendly, they only like to portray it as immigrant friendly .. the sooner we understand this the better for all of us.

regards,

saras

Dude...

Are you from Saraswathi hostel??? Just checking...

Anyway let me tell you one thing. If US does not have immigration laws we would not be here...they are the most liberal in handing out citizenship rights to kids born in this country. Yes there are getting tighter now because people are not following the books(illegals). Even then I believe they are atleast hearing our cries, today I can call the senator's office and talk with someone about my immigration case. They will hear and not put down the phone on me.

Think about it. There is something called INS accepting your I-485 cases. You have EAD most of us do not....

I have been cynical sometimes in the past. Whether you like it or not this country needs people who are smart like you...to come and work. It will take time but I have seen that they can change too imagine we have PERM now the older labor process was so bad.

saras76 said:
I am not at all surprised at this. I understand the anger towards illegal immigrants but legal immigrants would be stupid to think that they are not hated as well. The US is not immigrant friendly, they only like to portray it as immigrant friendly .. the sooner we understand this the better for all of us.

regards,

saras

Well..the only thing that I'm against is the lack of immigration reforms. My situation is not worse (yet) but I'm inching there quite steadily.

I'm 30 now. I think that by the time I get my GC, I'll be retired and ready to catch my flight to India. But I would atleast hold the record for:
1. having extended my H1B 32 times
2. holding the position of a Software developer for 38 years.
and the worst of all
3. being a FOOL for having wasted my career.

If the current situation doesn't improve, I'll have to think of other plans. But I still have hope like all you guys do.

akilhere said:
Well..the only thing that I'm against is the lack of immigration reforms. My situation is not worse (yet) but I'm inching there quite steadily.

I'm 30 now. I think that by the time I get my GC, I'll be retired and ready to catch my flight to India. But I would atleast hold the record for:
1. having extended my H1B 32 times
2. holding the position of a Software developer for 38 years.
and the worst of all
3. being a FOOL for having wasted my career.

If the current situation doesn't improve, I'll have to think of other plans. But I still have hope like all you guys do.

Thanks saras, scatcat and akilhere, Interesting observations.

One thing to add. all those calls are about the anger of the american people for the way that congress is handling the illegal's situation. Some of us have been waiting here patiently and paying taxes(good taxes not the taxes that people making $5.15 and hour are paying). We do not want these people to jump ahead of us and get their GC just because somebody feel that is the right thing to do.

Anyway, if this bill would have been passed. Our wait would have become endless.

BTW. I am 53, so by the time I get my GC I think I would have to retire too :)

scatcat,
Well I can imagine everybody losing it. The point here is that there might be some conspiracy else how do you explain PD movement. Do you think they have used all the VISA numbers avalable for this year?? I dont think anyone in there right mind is not suspicious. If at the end of this Fiscal year they regret not being able to use the visa number because they were provisioning for unforeseen.. how would you feel?
Before this fiscal even started they were at PD jun/2002 and even after not getting as many approvals from the DOL they are at PD Apr/2001. I dont get it.. do you??

Cool down ...

scatcat said:
Are you from Saraswathi hostel??? Just checking...

Anyway let me tell you one thing. If US does not have immigration laws we would not be here...they are the most liberal in handing out citizenship rights to kids born in this country. Yes there are getting tighter now because people are not following the books(illegals). Even then I believe they are atleast hearing our cries, today I can call the senator's office and talk with someone about my immigration case. They will hear and not put down the phone on me.

Think about it. There is something called INS accepting your I-485 cases. You have EAD most of us do not....

I have been cynical sometimes in the past. Whether you like it or not this country needs people who are smart like you...to come and work. It will take time but I have seen that they can change too imagine we have PERM now the older labor process was so bad.

scatcat,

First of you need to cool down. This country does have an immigration system but you are naive to think that it is as immigrant friendly as you think it is. You are right about one thing, the only reason we are here is because we provide cheap IT labor. The illegals are here because they provide cheap blue collar labor. We are not here because of the fairness and generosity of this countries immigration system and the enrichment of itsculture. As for comparing it with other countries, why should I? I am here and I am commenting on the supposed fairness of this system. I would not have any problems if the US stopped hiding its true intents behind a supposed "immigrant" friendly system. They are not immigrant friendly, they are dollar friendly. There is nothing wrong with the US's approach, the only problem I have is that they think we immigrants are stupid enough to buy into their idiotic marketing gimmick of the US being super immigrant friendly and being fair about everything. Immigrants like you add to the all to common image of a naive immigrant that can be fed any garbage. You are a smart person, you should know better than this.

regards,

saras

I am cool

I am not sure how you entered this country. If you read any visa application they say it very clearly it is a privilege to come to this country. Having said that they never promised to give you a green card. It is again a privilege. When it is a privilege how can you expect it to be fair? Let me explain tomorrow govt can decide we do not have any funds for INS to funciton because of the war, that is it no more GC processing for 10 years what will you do? Or they can say we are pushing all cases into some backlog processing center....what will you do? Pres Bush forced INS to start clearing all apps within 6 mos by 2006 fiscal year. There are senators listening and making calls on behalf of immigrant aspirants to INS and make sure their cases are approved why??? They do not have to atleast not on an individual basis.

Try applying for a passport in your own country. It is again a privilege.

The retros are in effect because there are a lot of applicants. They have made it fair to give equal amount of visas to people of all countries. People whose PDs are current they are getting GCs in no time less than 6 months, provided their name checks are all done. If you cannot wait leave this country. Nobody will even bother, not even thank you for what you did. You got paid for your services -- that is fairness!! If not you there will be 1000's here on a visa or in China or India working offshore. It is the same for me. So come out of your shell. Try to appreciate what you have.....

You are after the so called garbage that you have mentioned below...reason -> you have applied all applications related to immigration and have been believing in their system and their words.

So called system is working there are lots of people getting green cards. Again if you do not like anything in this country you can leave.....

saras76 said:
scatcat,

First of you need to cool down. This country does have an immigration system but you are naive to think that it is as immigrant friendly as you think it is. You are right about one thing, the only reason we are here is because we provide cheap IT labor. The illegals are here because they provide cheap blue collar labor. We are not here because of the fairness and generosity of this countries immigration system and the enrichment of itsculture. As for comparing it with other countries, why should I? I am here and I am commenting on the supposed fairness of this system. I would not have any problems if the US stopped hiding its true intents behind a supposed "immigrant" friendly system. They are not immigrant friendly, they are dollar friendly. There is nothing wrong with the US's approach, the only problem I have is that they think we immigrants are stupid enough to buy into their idiotic marketing gimmick of the US being super immigrant friendly and being fair about everything. Immigrants like you add to the all to common image of a naive immigrant that can be fed any garbage. You are a smart person, you should know better than this.

regards,

saras

Another fact about visa number

On an average each visa applicant uses three visas. Reason each dependant also takes away a visa, so spouse and children are all included in this count....

I feel bad about dates not advancing. I have take enough initiative and the law makers have responded to me possitively. There are people listening....this immigration stuff goes in a cycle we are pushing for the house to approve EB bill so that we can apply for 485 and increase the number of visas. Very soon there will be relief. Let us be possitive.

hopefull1 said:
scatcat,
Well I can imagine everybody losing it. The point here is that there might be some conspiracy else how do you explain PD movement. Do you think they have used all the VISA numbers avalable for this year?? I dont think anyone in there right mind is not suspicious. If at the end of this Fiscal year they regret not being able to use the visa number because they were provisioning for unforeseen.. how would you feel?
Before this fiscal even started they were at PD jun/2002 and even after not getting as many approvals from the DOL they are at PD Apr/2001. I dont get it.. do you??

I do not want to fight with you....

Before I begin let me tell you I have a much older PD, I am trying to encourage people to lobby for their own cause. I will get my GC this year or pretty soon. Let me tell you about reality....

It is demand and supply, basic economics....contract with US govt my foot...they did not force you into this country...you came on your own to this country to work for them. "You are needed here" says who...if you want to leave is someone forcing you from leaving? That is a fact. Wake up. You are not the only one needed here, there will be 1000's like you waiting inline to come here. If not you there will be somebody else. Pride is like a necklace others can see but you cannot. Let me tell you my anual wages are close to 250k, do you think I should feel low in anyway? As per the standards of this world I should be treated very high. I can hire and fire guys like you if I want. There is word in dictionary called humility.

You did not understand what UnitedNations mentioned in the other discussion, you never will...do you understand how retro works. They are being careful...what can you do about it. Instead of crying your pants out here try and lobby with the groups that are actively doing something about this. Eb-3 moved from unavailable 1998 to 2001 why? Sometimes there are issues related to over issuing visas. I read your so called 4 questions in the other discussion, even if someone answers your questions is it going to move retro dates. No.

The only solution to all this nonsense is not guys like you crying on the forums. Use your energy for lobbying. We are pushing for the bill to pass in the house to solve this issue at a much broader level.....

It was you BTW who used the word garbage first, I was refering to your comment. Read what you write as well.

saras76 said:
scatcat,

Thanks for the sarcasm. Atleast come up with something new. It was amusing to see you use the classic bigoted comment, "Go back home" and "Leave this country if you don't like it." Its hilarious when a fellow immigrant (which I am assuming you are) uses these comments as if he/she has the right to ask anyone to do anything. Your name is scatcat, you really think you can ask anyone to do anything, let alone leave a country :). It would have been a different matter if your name was "supercat" or "killercat" or something :). Also, please do not worry about how I got here or when I have to leave or what I have to do here. That is no ones business but my own. I will leave or stay as I see fit.

As for the privilege. As far as I am concerned, it is a contract between me and the US goverment. It is not a freaking privilege. I am here because I am needed here. Get a reality check. You must think very lowly of yourself and where you came from to really believe that you add no value here, that you are purely being given a privilege to be in this country. That you can be treated in anyway the "US" sees fit. It is a classic ploy to make idiotic immigrants like you feel less about where they come from and about themselves. I should not make that comment without knowing where you come from. From what you say it seems that you are ashamed of who you are. The only thing that makes you feel better about yourself is that a country as great as the US has given you the "privelege" to work in it. The only other way people like you can feel better is to bad month fellow immigrants by calling them garbage. I guess you are working hard to convince privileged US citizens that you not garbage yourself.

Get a life and some self-respect ...

regards,

saras

No one is crying ..

scatcat,

You are talking about humility after stating how much money you make and boasting about how you can hire or fire "people" like me. A person like you can't do anything other than put other people down. No amount of money or power can get you any self-respect. You really need a big dose of that.

You do what you have to do and I will do what I have to do. As you must have noticed, I made a comment and you didn't agree with that comment and started on your tirade against me. Disagreement should never lead another person to start attacking another personally. You stooped to that level. As for crying .. no one is crying here. Besides even if I want to cry and yell, what is your problem, do you own this space? Are you going to give me a sermon about the privilege of using this internet space to post ideas? If you have such a big problem then do not read my posts and do not reply to them. Why do you feel the need to police this forum?

As for Retro. I understand retro as well as anyone. As for UN, the only reason I asked him those questions is to show that he makes sensational statements without backing them up. Again, I asked UN those questions? What is your problem? Did I ask you those questions? Why is it bothering you?

Mind your own business and if you disagree with someone then state your opinion without beating down on that person. I feel the immigration system is unfair, you feel its fair. Whats the big deal? I feel lobbying is a useless idea, you feel its a great idea? Again whats the big deal. I don't care if you lobby or do whatever it is you do. I will do what I feel is best ..

regards,

saras

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok then

Sounds little more sensible this time, no wonder you deleted your earlier post but I was able to capture it while quoting....

"contract with the US govt" that statement was very funny.

Take it easy you seem to have taken it up your nerves.

Sorry I seemed to have bothered you so much, be careful when you drive today, take a deep breath and forget about all this.

:)

saras76 said:
scatcat,

You do what you have to do and I will do what I have to do. As you must have noticed, I made a comment and you didn't agree with that comment and started on your tirade against me. Disagreement should never lead another person to start attacking another personally. You stooped to that level. As for crying .. no one is crying here. Besides even if I want to cry and yell, what is your problem, do you own this space? Are you going to give me a sermon about the privilege of using this internet space to post ideas? If you have such a big problem then do not read my posts and do not reply to them. Why do you feel the need to police this forum?

As for Retro. I understand retro as well as anyone. As for UN, the only reason I asked him those questions is to show that he makes sensational statements without backing them up. Again, I asked UN those questions? What is your problem? Did I ask you those questions? Why is it bothering you?

Mind your own business and if you disagree with someone then state your opinion without beating down on that person. I feel the immigration system is unfair, you feel its fair. Whats the big deal? I feel lobbying is a useless idea, you feel its a great idea? Again whats the big deal. I don't care if you lobby or do whatever it is you do. I will do what I feel is best ..

regards,

saras

Ok ...

Got it...you seemed to have added some new lines, I will keep it in mind.

saras76 said:
scatcat,

You are talking about humility after stating how much money you make and boasting about how you can hire or fire "people" like me. A person like you can't do anything other than put other people down. No amount of money or power can get you any self-respect. You really need a big dose of that.

regards,

saras

I have a hard time feeling any sympathy for fence jumpers - who are breeding here and wasting my tax dollars on social services.

I do not understand why somebody like me who came in with a scholarship for a Ph.D. in a top university and now works for very well into six figures a year have to wait in line for years wasting my carreer and time, while those folks will get amnesty benefits.

If they decide I am not welcome either - that's fine, I can find a good job anywhere on this globe. I am rather close to doing this, if my 485 gets stuck for too long...

Thats it ..

scatcat said:
Sounds little more sensible this time, no wonder you deleted your earlier post but I was able to capture it while quoting....

"contract with the US govt" that statement was very funny.

Take it easy you seem to have taken it up your nerves.

Sorry I seemed to have bothered you so much, be careful when you drive today, take a deep breath and forget about all this.

:)

scatcat,

People like you do bother me. I deleted my earlier post becuase in my rage I stooped to your level and thought better of it and not because I felt I said something wrong. You can reply as you please. I will not be participating in this discussion further.

saras

"Pride is like a necklace others can see but you cannot. Let me tell you my anual wages are close to 250k, do you think I should feel low in anyway? As per the standards of this world I should be treated very high. I can hire and fire guys like you if I want. There is word in dictionary called humility"

what an Irony? this is hilarious...i guess scatcat has the necklace that he cannot see.

didoala

I was reading and I really could not understand why so many inteligent people are involved in this "discution" with scatcat. If he want to have "attention"(my anual wages are close to 250k)...- no comment.
Saras 76 you don't need to explain your posts.
Best regards everybody. :)

didoala said:
I was reading and I really could not understand why so many inteligent people are involved in this "discution" with scatcat. If he want to have "attention"(my anual wages are close to 250k)...- no comment.
Saras 76 you don't need to explain your posts.
Best regards everybody. :)

Yeah.. My income is right there as well.. would be better, if I could change jobs.. I think I should pound my chest on every corner feeling that I am so much better then minimal wage workers.. NOT. I have the utmost respect for each and every honest and working individual - been there, done that, grew up dirt poor. I do not respect those who are parasites on social services without making there fair share contribution - and expecting benefits for illigal bahaviour..

michael_holding said:
"Pride is like a necklace others can see but you cannot. Let me tell you my anual wages are close to 250k, do you think I should feel low in anyway? As per the standards of this world I should be treated very high. I can hire and fire guys like you if I want. There is word in dictionary called humility"

what an Irony? this is hilarious...i guess scatcat has the necklace that he cannot see.
Good one Michael....you pointed it right...

Scat - I see that you are a MS grad with 2 years of IT experience...can you get me a job in your company too?
http://boards.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?p=1389008#post1389008
Man...I would also love a $250K salary...I have a master's too and infact 8 years of experience...maybe I should push for $300K...

To All Fellow Immigrants

To All fellow immigrants,
To be honest I am not sure when can I be called immigrant or when am I not an immigrant. I am yet to get my 485 approved and it is close to 2 years that it was filed and because of the retro I am not sure when I will I get it.
That much is true that there is uncertainty about the time line of getting a GC. Having said that I also believe that just like intelligence is a gift and not a privilege being in the Green Card category is definitely a privilege or at least so it seems for the moment. I can only speak for myself and so I can safely say that I believe education matters and it matters not only in defining the capabilities of individuals but also in terms of making the first impression as an immigrant of either getting a job in a foreign country or making a foreign country home. I think there is definitely a need in both sides when choosing a foreign country for an immigrant. I am sure as an educated immigrant I would also want to choose a country where education at least at some level is the best (which is my need) and the country where I work appreciates my work.(Could be countries need? Not sure about that)
I cannot deny one thing for sure though and that is every time I am reading the portal and I see Saras name appear I would surely read what his opinion is on the issue in context. Your lucidity and element of explaining your opinion is definitely worth a read. I am sure it resonates many immigrants or would be immigrant’s thoughts. I cannot also deny at the same time what scatcat has opined. To be honest at least in the IT sector I am not sure if anybody does care about what we do. Software is now a commodity and not a paradox anymore and there fore not sure either how much education at a higher level has to play a role in IT. Still having an education at higher levels is better than not having any education or minimal education and therefore I do believe that giving amnesty to illegal immigration and further to illegal immigrants most of whom have basic education is little hard to accept. Again like scatcat says does any body care probably not .Do I care yes at least in my mind. Am I going to do anything about it? Not unless either I am forced to do it or I can see other majority of fellow immigrants joining to do something about it. I think from my perspective I probably would have to wait some more time so status quo is ok for me.