Another painless "verbal" crossing

Triple Citizen

Registered Users (C)
Yesterday I crossed over into Ontario from Michigan to visit my parents in Toronto. I used the Ambassador Detroit-Windsor bridge this time. I usually cross via the Blue Water Bridge at Port Huron-Sarnia, but this time since I made a detour in Detroit, I changed my POE. They were two of us in the car. My wife (US citizen and Canadian PR) and myself. I slowly pulled my car to the booth and was greeted by a very young female officer. This is how the conversation went:-

Officer: Citizenship
Me: I'm Canadian, the wife is American
Officer: Where do you live?
Me: Naperville, Illinois
Officer: Where are you going?
Me: Richmond Hill, Ontario
Officer: How long will you stay?
Me: 1 week
Officer: Any gifts?
Me: Yes, I have a gift for each member of my family
Officer: Any alcohol or tobacco?
Me: No
Officer: Any firearms?
Officer: Have a nice stay

That was it. She never requested any documents whatsoever. My record of verbally declaring myself as Canadian without showing any proof stays intact at land crossings. Ofcourse when I fly into Canada, my Canadian passport is scanned and returned. For those of you who may not be aware, my wife's PR status will stay intact even if she crosses the 3 year mark beyond her landing date since she is married to a Canadian citizen who stays outside Canada.

Last edited by a moderator:
your experience

Thanks for the posting your experience. I used to live in Richmond Hill and my family now lives in Scarborough. I will be driving to visit them later this year. Good to hear that the officer didn't give you a hard time. When you return from Canada, did you tell the officer that you are an American?

I have no choice but to declare myself as a US citizen. I am already back in the US and did exactly that last Sunday. Declared myself as a US citizen and exercised my right to enter the country. It is a good feeling to know that both sides on the world's longest border will always let you in :)

Yesterday I crossed over into Ontario from Michigan to visit my parents in Toronto. I used the Ambassador Detroit-Windsor bridge this time. I usually cross via the Blue Water Bridge at Port Huron-Sarnia, but this time since I made a detour in Detroit, I changed my POE. They were two of us in the car. My wife (US citizen and Canadian PR) and myself. I slowly pulled my car to the booth and was greeted by a very young female officer. This is how the conversation went:-

Officer: Citizenship
Me: I'm Canadian, the wife is American
Officer: Where do you live?
Me: Naperville, Illinois
Officer: Where are you going?
Me: Richmond Hill, Ontario
Officer: How long will you stay?
Me: 1 week
Officer: Any gifts?
Me: Yes, I have a gift for each member of my family
Officer: Any alcohol or tobacco?
Officer: Any firearms?
Officer: Have a nice stay

That was it. She never requested any documents whatsoever. My record of verbally declaring myself as Canadian without showing any proof stays intact at land crossings. Ofcourse when I fly into Canada, my Canadian passport is scanned and returned. For those of you who may not be aware, my wife's PR status will stay intact even if she crosses the 3 year mark beyond her landing date since she is married to a Canadian citizen who stays outside Canada.

Hi Triple Citizen,

What will happen if the IO asks questions regarding your vehicle? Canada does not allow US vehicles to enter without registering and paying duty unless registered to a US resident or citizen. I assume the vehicle is registered in your wife's name?

You are confusing the regulation. Canada does not allow Canadian residents to drive US registered cars in Canada. I am not a resident of Canada. I am a Canadian citizen who lives outside Canada. The car is in my name.

Hi Triple Citizen,

What will happen if the IO asks questions regarding your vehicle? Canada does not allow US vehicles to enter without registering and paying duty unless registered to a US resident or citizen. I assume the vehicle is registered in your wife's name?

You are confusing the regulation. Canada does not allow Canadian residents to drive US registered cars in Canada. I am not a resident of Canada. I am a Canadian citizen who lives outside Canada. The car is in my name.

Triple Citizen, thank you for enlightening me.