**Another pain in the A** development

That's nuts. You get approved, but you can't prove it because you have no card to show for 6 months. The law says immigrants must carry proof of status at all times, but this new rule makes that rule impossible.

So, if you are driving around the United States near a border town, and the border patrol decides to ask you for proof of immigration status, what do you do? Does that mean we are all trapped in our homes until they have mercy on us and send a damn card?

This is crazy. I'm curious to see what their solution is for that problem.

I hope they are doing this to issue plastic card as soon as 485 is approved so as to reduce the work related to passport stamping. But you never know these stupid people can cancel passport stamping and not come up with the idea of wat to replace it with.

The *only* change (as mentioned in many places) is that they are not issuing the I-551 stamp to people who get an immigrant visa at a consulate aboard, since the IV is much more secure than the stamp.

Please read the many other threads on this subject before getting hysterical. :)

Recent update at murthy.com

http://www.murthy.com/nflash/nf_101504.html

We initially reported that attorneys from The Law Office of Sheela Murthy, P.C., attending the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA) National Conference in Chicago, called in on October 15, 2004, to inform us that the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) intends to begin phasing out the temporary I-551 stamps as early as October 26, 2004. The I-551 stamps are temporary evidence of lawful permanent resident status. They are issued to people after their applications for permanent residence have been approved as proof of this status and to be used until the actual plastic "green" card arrives. The stamp is valid for work and travel and has served as evidence of lawful permanent resident status while individuals waited for the plastic card to be produced and received by mail.

Few details have yet been released on this matter. There was some initial concern that those who already have I-551 stamps would not be able to continue to use them to travel. The U.S. Customs and Border Protection, which employs the Port of Entry officers, has now indicated that they will continue to honor the I-551 stamp as a valid travel document. It remains unclear what mechanism will document permanent resident status prior to receipt of the plastic card. We at The Law Office of Sheela Murthy and MurthyDotCom will continue to provide our readers with more information on this important topic as and when it becomes available.