Another (fun) Selective Services Question

anazouine

Registered Users (C)
Here's one for you guys:
- I entered the US on an F1 Visa when I was 25 years old. Remained on F1/HI until a few years ago. My questions;
1- According to the Selective Services website, I did NOT have to register. Can anyone please confirm that info is correct?
2- I have requested a letter from the SS but haven't heard from them (Its been 2 months already), and they aren't picking up the phone. My interview is coming up in a few weeks. The interview letter asked for "proof of SS registration". Can anyone recommend any other course of action? I don't think SS has local offices.

Thanks to you all!

A-

Here's one for you guys:
- I entered the US on an F1 Visa when I was 25 years old. Remained on F1/HI until a few years ago. My questions;
1- According to the Selective Services website, I did NOT have to register. Can anyone please confirm that info is correct?
2- I have requested a letter from the SS but haven't heard from them (Its been 2 months already), and they aren't picking up the phone. My interview is coming up in a few weeks. The interview letter asked for "proof of SS registration". Can anyone recommend any other course of action? I don't think SS has local offices.

Thanks to you all!

A-

Yes, you didn't have to register on an F1 visa. Why did you request such a letter if you ARE NOT required to register? I suspect youthful indiscretion? The IO will see that you were NOT eligible to register for SS cause you had non-immigrant visa when you were 25yrs. When did you get your H1B visa?

I got my H1B when I was 29. I requested the letter just to make sure I had it should this question arise...
Is it common for people to show up to their interviews only with their I20s/H1bs and not with the SS letter?

Here's one for you guys:

Thanks to you all!

A-

This question had been addressed many times on this forum. Try to search in this forum. Only males of between 18 and 25, who are US citizens, green card holders, illegal aliens or undocumented or out of the status, must register for SS. http://www.sss.gov/Status.html and http://www.sss.gov/PDFs/WhoMustRegisterChart.pdf

No need to worry about it. :) You don't need to request the letter because the computer system already have your records including your F1 and H1.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got my H1B when I was 29. I requested the letter just to make sure I had it should this question arise...
Is it common for people to show up to their interviews only with their I20s/H1bs and not with the SS letter?

You are fine and I wouldn't sweat it too much. Just drink some latte, it usually calms people down around 4ish.... Good luck to you and anxiety won't help you at the interview, but a relaxed attitude will do your soul a great deal of justice. :)

Latte? To calm down? :D I would suggest a cup or two of green tea - the one that helps you fall asleep faster - that would calm you down around 4ish ;)