• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

An extreme COA question for DV2009

holys

Registered Users (C)
Hi there,
I checked almost every forum but found no answer to this question.

Definition of the problem:
1) I'm a legal alien living in USA with no green card for which I applied
for DV2009.

2) While filing the application, I provided a domestic (USA) address for
the NL delivery (in case my name is drawn).

3) Before getting the NL (even much earlier than lottary results) I moved to
a new location and already forwarded my mails by USPS service.

Here comes the question:
If I will be one of those who won the lottary,
- does USPS forward NL sent from KCC?
Or let me rephrase it:
- does KCC have any (positive or negative) endorsements on mail
(more specifically NL letter) forwarding?

Some say yes, some say no but nobody is certain.
I even asked the very same question to USPS but two branches
answered differently.
I haven't asked to KCC. Don't know how to...

I do apologize if this has been asked/answered before but I really couldn't
find any answer to this question. Not even the questions itself exists.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Have a good one,
Steve

usually, letters from USCIS are not forwarded, since they are government mail. The same may apply to DOS letters (from KCC).

They will fwd to you. We were in the exact situation last year. We applied on one address and recieved the fwded NL to the new address.
You don't have to appologize. We are all in the same boat and somebody is going to answer to you if they want to help....

Good luck with the application!!!

Hi there,

for DV2009.

Here comes the question:
Or let me rephrase it:

Some say yes, some say no but nobody is certain.
I even asked the very same question to USPS but two branches
answered differently.
I haven't asked to KCC. Don't know how to...

I do apologize if this has been asked/answered before but I really couldn't
find any answer to this question. Not even the questions itself exists.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Have a good one,
Steve

Hi there,

for DV2009.

Here comes the question:
Or let me rephrase it:

The USPS handles government and non-government mail similarly. The answer to your question depends on mail class and the endorsements on the envelope.

Last year, notification letters from KCC to US addresses came first class mail endorsed "RETURN SERVICE REQUESTED".

This means that if your mail is undeliverable and you have filed a change of address, USPS will attach the new address to the envelope and then return the envelope to KCC. KCC can then decide what to do with the envelope (re-mail old envelope to new address, print out new letter with new address, etc).

They could also toss the returned envelopes into the recycle bin, but I doubt they would do such a thing. Leny says they received their letter at their new address, so my guess is that KCC will simply re-mail the old envelope to the new address provided by USPS.

There are some practical details to keep in mind. Some large apartment buildings sort their own mail. For these buildings, USPS simply drops off a few crates of mail every day, and it's up to the building staff to sort the mail and return to USPS any undeliverable mail. If you lived in such a building, it may be a good idea to talk to the building staff to see if they indeed return undeliverable mail properly to USPS (as opposed to say, throwing it into the recycle bin).

On the other hand, KCC letters come in regular envelopes with printed addresses, so they are very likely sorted automatically. In this case, the automated sorting software will likely compare your name and address with the change of address information you submitted, and return the envelope to KCC without it ever reaching your local post office.

Hello Steve, and all.

I have the same question. I was reading all related forums (including Turkish forums) for about
three months. I don't have the answer either. Sorry for that, I just wanted to say
you're not alone. And thank you very much for making me a registered user.
Till now I was just reading without any participation, now I'm one of the members of this
forum and I think we have a lot in common.

For those who are interested, my situation has another detail:

I don't live in USA but I filed my application with 'in care of' option and I gave my friend's
address who resides in USA. Then, she changed her address and forwarded her mails via USPS.

So, the situation is slightly different but the question is exactly same:
If I will be one of those who wins the lottary,
- does USPS forward the NL sent from KCC?
In other words:
(more specifically NL) forwarding?

According to my research on the subject, I think all three answers are correct.

LucyMO is right. 'Usually' these kind of letters are not forwarded.

Leny said they got it. Leny, I think you read the other two answers. I'd like to
ask another question:
Did your husband receive it with his new address 'printed' on the envelope (by KCC)
or did USPS just forward it to his new address without returning it back to Kentucky?

and Plus07 thanks a lot for the 'practical' details. I'll ask my friend to contact the leasing office, that might help.

To me the most likely case is this:

The letter will be sorted automatically without reaching to the local post office,
then it will be sent back to KCC,
and hopefully KCC will send it to the new address (probably as in the case of Leny).

Once again, Hi to you all, and bye for now :)

Last edited by a moderator:
They gonna forward it to you. I moved to a new address and changed my adress with the USPS, before getting my son's Permanent Resident Card (The Green Card). The USPS forwarded it to my new address, but its gonna take a while, coz my son's card took like two months before I recieved.

Our letter was fwd to the new address by USPS. When you move you change your address at your local post office. When they receive a mail in your name they put a yellow label w/ the new address and fwd to you. The letter doesn't even reach your old apartment complex etc...

So, when USPS received the NL from KCC they put the new address on it and fwd to us. We got the original NL. It was NOT sent back to KCC.

Hello Steve, and all.

I have the same question. I was reading all related forums (including Turkish forums) for about
three months. I don't have the answer either. Sorry for that, I just wanted to say
you're not alone. And thank you very much for making me a registered user.
Till now I was just reading without any participation, now I'm one of the members of this
forum and I think we have a lot in common.

For those who are interested, my situation has another detail:

I don't live in USA but I filed my application with 'in care of' option and I gave my friend's
address who resides in USA. Then, she changed her address and forwarded her mails via USPS.

So, the situation is slightly different but the question is exactly same:
If I will be one of those who wins the lottary,
- does USPS forward the NL sent from KCC?
In other words:
(more specifically NL) forwarding?

According to my research on the subject, I think all three answers are correct.

LucyMO is right. 'Usually' these kind of letters are not forwarded.

Leny said they got it. Leny, I think you read the other two answers. I'd like to
ask another question:
Did your husband receive it with his new address 'printed' on the envelope (by KCC)
or did USPS just forward it to his new address without returning it back to Kentucky?

and Plus07 thanks a lot for the 'practical' details. I'll ask my friend to contact the leasing office, that might help.

To me the most likely case is this:

The letter will be sorted automatically without reaching to the local post office,
then it will be sent back to KCC,
and hopefully KCC will send it to the new address (probably as in the case of Leny).

Once again, Hi to you all, and bye for now :)

Thanks to you all, especially to leny.
I think Willis's forwarding case was different (not NL, the card's itself) but thanks anyway.
Good luck to you all.

What about calling KCC to inquire?

I read the posts above and have a further question. I am asking on behalf of a friend who had opened a P.O. Box at the local post office branch to have a secure and permanent address to which she can receive mail rather than worrying about changing addresses when she moves. However, the incompetent local post office clerks closed her box b/c they lost the file in which it said she had paid for it for a year. Any mail that would have come to the P.O. Box would have been returned to the sender. In that case, could we call KCC and ask if they mailed a notification letter to the stated address? Would they provide this information?

I am a DV2007 winner and when I was going through all the procedures I spent a lot of time in this forum and vaguely remember reading that someone was successful in getting a response from KCC and the case number, but I can't find that post now. If you have any information or advice, please respond.

Thank you.

Hi bg_vagabond,

I also remember one case in which the person called
KCC and KCC asked him to send a letter to KCC, (indicating
both the old address and the new address) so that they could
send the new NL (the second but the same with the first NL).
The guy called KCC without knowing whether he was a winner or not,
and informed them about the address change issue and
KCC asked him to send a mail.

Please note, they didn't inform him on the phone whether he
was a winner or not. They just asked him to send a letter
showing both addresses. Later, he got no NL.

In short, in my opinion, your friend may contact KCC or just send
a mail showing the new address, BUT two things:
1) She may not be one of the winners >> No NL naturally.

2) She might have been eliminated due to the fact that KCC doesn't
allow applicants to give a P.O. Box address. Please check this before
you contact KCC. I had a look at this year's instructions for you, and
I haven't seen anything against PO Boxes but this is what I remember
from the previous years.

Good luck.

Hi bg_vagabond,

allow applicants to give a P.O. Box address.
Please check this before
you contact KCC. I had a look at this year's instructions for you, and
I haven't seen anything against PO Boxes but this is what I remember
from the previous years.

Good luck.

Well, I don't know if the information about KCC not allowing applicants to give P.O.Box addresses is correct. I am a DV2008 winner and i received my first NL using the P.O. Box address in my country Nigeria. I am waiting for the 2nd letter and i'm still expecting to come through the same P.O. Box address.
However, unless the instruction for not using P.O. Box addresses was started with DV2009, then i am not aware since i did not participate in it.

allow applicants to give a P.O. Box address.
and why in the world would you assume that?

this is what I remember
from the previous years.
there was nothing like that in previous years either.

You are asked for a mailing address. If a postman can find that mailing address destination, you will get your letter.

As Puls mentioned:
“Last year, notification letters from KCC to US addresses came first class mail endorsed "RETURN SERVICE REQUESTED".
This means that if your mail is undeliverable and you have filed a change of address, USPS will attach the new address to the envelope and then return the envelope to KCC. KCC can then decide what to do with the envelope (re-mail old envelope to new address, print out new letter with new address, etc)”

This is absolutely right. Year 2006 we received our NL (for DV2007) at our new address, so we were really surprised to see that KCC mentioned our new address in the NL letter as well as on the envelope (we used old address in DV application). So once KCC receives the return NL they correct the address and resend it.

Dear m1rahim,

Thank you for your message.

As days pass, our hopes to receive the NL are diminish.
Do you remember, when you got the NL, I mean the day and month?

Or anybody else who receive her/his NL with the 'change of address' process,
do you remember the date?

Best,

Steve.

Dear bg_vagabond,

First of all, I'd like to apologize for any inconvenience that I might
have been caused. Even though I talked about the 'possiblity'
I was mistaken, KCC doesn't care whether you provide a P.O. Box
address or not. As I said before, I was not sure about that.
What I was sure was that KCC did not say anything about providing
a P.O. Box address this year, and I think your friend would have been
on the safe side if USPS had'n lost her P.O. Box info.

Anyways, did your friend contacted KCC?
Did she get any response?

Thanks for sharing the experience.

Best

I read the posts above and have a further question. I am asking on behalf of a friend who had opened a P.O. Box at the local post office branch to have a secure and permanent address to which she can receive mail rather than worrying about changing addresses when she moves. However, the incompetent local post office clerks closed her box b/c they lost the file in which it said she had paid for it for a year. Any mail that would have come to the P.O. Box would have been returned to the sender. In that case, could we call KCC and ask if they mailed a notification letter to the stated address? Would they provide this information?

I am a DV2007 winner and when I was going through all the procedures I spent a lot of time in this forum and vaguely remember reading that someone was successful in getting a response from KCC and the case number, but I can't find that post now. If you have any information or advice, please respond.

Thank you.