• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

American Drivers Licence reciprocal agreements

Mijoro

Does anyone know of any website that I can find out if my country ( Australia) has reciprocal agreements in place regarding the issuing of American drivers licence.

I hold a standard open licence and was wondering if anyone here knows if I am able to swap or be issued a drivers licence in the state I am moving to once I have secured accommodation.

Does anyone know of any website that I can find out if my country ( Australia) has reciprocal agreements in place regarding the issuing of American drivers licence.

I hold a standard open licence and was wondering if anyone here knows if I am able to swap or be issued a drivers licence in the state I am moving to once I have secured accommodation.

Most States (not all) recognize and will swap foreign DLs if you have a DL from a very short list of countries (which are countries that have agreed to allow validation). The list (I believe) is this.

American Samoa
Canada
France
Germany
Guam
Northern Mariana Islands
U.S. Virgin Islands
Yukon Territory
Puerto Rico

Other than that you have to take a test.

As far as I know, Australian licences cannot be exchanged directly. They might make an exception. It's unfair, because I think US licences can be exchanged in Australia. Is it because driver training in Australia isn't robust?

As far as I know, Australian licences cannot be exchanged directly. They might make an exception. It's unfair, because I think US licences can be exchanged in Australia. Is it because driver training in Australia isn't robust?

SURELY it can't be less robust than the USA???

G'day Mate!

You should check out the State DMV website. I did mine in CA about 19 year ago, back then I need to take diving test before they issue the CA license. Each state has its own requirement.

I'm pretty sure getting a license in Australia is much more robust, I think it's probably to do with the fact that we drive on the left side of the road in Australia. Couldn't tell you why it's allowed the other way around, though...

Thanks guys it just seems strange that we allow it but they don't. I am hoping I don't have to start from learners permit all over again.

No, you won't need to go through the graduated licencing process. But, you'll be required to take the written test, get a permit, and then do the driving test, I reckon. Are you still unsure about which state you'll be living in? Like I said, if you talk to them, they might make an exception depending on how long you've been driving. When talking to them, don't mention Australians drive on the other side...

I didnt think they would make exceptions, they either issue them or they don't.

I was going to take a few driving lessons anyway as I was wanting to get used to driving on the wrong side of the road on purpose, so I guess I will just book a package of 4 or 6 and use the driving school car to do my test in.

Each state has its own rules regarding driving licenses. With a valid DL from Australia there is a high chance you will need to take the written examination. You might be exempt from taking the driving skills examination, which in my opinion is the easy part of the test for anyone who knows how to drive.

From my experience: I had DL in three different states, but each time I moved, they made me take the written test again. That is why I think there is a high chance they will make you take this test. I was exempt from the skill test because I had an out of state license.
I know someone from Bulgaria that came to Georgia (the U.S. state) with a valid bulgarian license: she was only required to take the written test.

Last edited by a moderator: