Alien Number Help

apricot

Registered Users (C)
Hi All,

My husband applied for his 140/485 a while back and the case is pending. We have received temporary EAD and have alien numbers.

Now, my priority date is current (so is everyoe elses!!!). I am filing my 485 and it asks for an alien number if any.

Should I use the one I already have, or leave it blank?

Thanks for any help.
A

Hi

Sorry, I left out a piece of important information.

Also, I have an approved i140. Does this mean that I already have an alien number through this approval notice? Or is an Alien number given on a 485 application?

Thanks
A

Your post is a little confusing.

If I understand correctly, you have already filed a I-485 application for yourself previously, but as a derivative applicant of your husband, because you wrote "We have received temporary EAD and have alien numbers". If so, you are wanting to file a second I-485 based on your own approved I-140?

If everything was done correctly in the past, you should only have had one A number for all your immigration-related dealings with USCIS. (This does not include any A number you may have obtained for non-immigrant related benefits, such as an EAD based on a non-immigrant status.) In your case, everything you indicated in your post is immigrant-related, so for your EAD based on your husband's I-485, as well as your own I-140, the same A# should have been used. Is this not the case? You can check by looking at all the USCIS filing receipts you have obtained.

The A# is issued for most immigrant-related benefits, including after filing I-140 petitions and/or I-485 applications. Again, check all USCIS-issued receipt notices you have received in the past.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi All,

My husband applied for his 140/485 a while back and the case is pending. We have received temporary EAD and have alien numbers.
------------- what do you mean by "WE"? if only he applied I-485 and EAD then HE got the EAD and HIS A# is on I-485 filing reciept. if you also filed derivative I-485 with your husband I-485 then you also got I-485 filing reciept and YOUR A# is on your I-485 filing reciept.
Now, my priority date is current (so is everyoe elses!!!). I am filing my 485 and it asks for an alien number if any.
Should I use the one I already have, or leave it blank?
-----if you have the A# then write the A#

Thanks for any help.
A

-----------------------------