Aging out on H4 - How long can I stay on B2

simsd

Registered Users (C)
We are Canadian Citizens. We are in California and I am on an H1 and my family are all H4 dependents. Presently my son is in college. Next year when he turns 21, he will age out.

Rather than go the F1 status as a student, can he go B?

And if so how long?

My reason for this is because under B status he can enroll in certain state Universities through a different program and not be required to pay non-resident fees (he still won't be paying resident fees, but the other fees are still substantially lower).

Barring the fact that B-2 status holders cannot study, who gave you this information? Was it the actual university? Did they know that your son is a Canadian citizen without a green card?

My reason for this is because under B status he can enroll in certain state Universities through a different program and not be required to pay non-resident fees

Some states allow illegal aliens to enroll as state residents and pay in state tutition if they meet other criteria.

Your son should not risk his future in the US in order to save tuition. He should apply for and register as an international student.