After Us Citizen What if we don't cancel Indian Passport?

Diamonds

Registered Users (C)
After Us Citizenship, What if we don't cancel Indian Passport? Even though we will never use Indian passport any more after that but I just want to know what if we officialy don't cancel it.
Although in the Indian immigration system it will recorded canceled when we get PIO card but we will not have cancel stamp on passport.

I don't think it matters if you do not use it. If youy use it, then it is subject to Indian law. If Indian laws are same as American laws, you can be put into jail and deport from India and permanently barred from enrting India

If you require OCI, you will have to surrender the Indian passport. First, you will have to get the Certificate of Renunciation of Indian Nationality by surrendering the passport. Only with this certificate, you can file for OCI, starting June 1, 2010.

For, PIO, it doesn't matter.

I just want to know what if we officialy don't cancel it. Although in the Indian immigration system it will recorded canceled when we get PIO card but we will not have cancel stamp on passport.

Based on my understanding they are making this mandatory. yes, you really do not need it if you do not plan to travel to India. If in case you want Indian visa, application form will indicate that you were born in India and that is when they can get you on this. penalty increases with time.

What is OCI and PIO. Which is best. Can anybody shed some differences.

Thanks.

You can visit http://www.cgisf.org and select consular services and click on PIO there is a table comparing OCI and PIO. OCI is better and it is one time.

For all consular services including OCI/ PIO / Visas it is mandatory to renounce your Indian citizenship and cancel your indian passport. There is penalty for delay.

If you never ever plan to visit India you may not cancel your Indian passport.

You need to surrender your Indian passport once you become a US citizen. Failure to do so will result in having to pay a penalty to India consulate services. Of course, if you never plan to visit India again or never need India consular services there is no way they can force you to pay the penalty.

To get the Indian Visa or PIO Card, it is no more required immediately to renounce but you can renounce it by mail.
I want to know up to how much penalty they charge? What if we delay 4-6 months? My mean if we already have PIO card
Then is it possible we would be able to travel with Us Passport to india in case we didn't renounce indian Passport?

To get the Indian Visa or PIO Card, it is no more required immediately to renounce but you can renounce it by mail.
I want to know up to how much penalty they charge? What if we delay 4-6 months? My mean if we already have PIO card
Then is it possible we would be able to travel with Us Passport to india in case we didn't renounce indian Passport?

if you already have PIO card, that would indicate (most likely) you got Citizenship before june 1st. Fee for renouncing is only 20$ for such cases.

if you want details on panelity, you can look up consulate's website. i think its based on time and your travel schedule. below is snippet from the site.

It is a punishable offence to obtain or hold an Indian Passport suppressing information about his/her nationality or hold Indian Passport or travel document after aquiring US (foreign) citizenship. The violator shall be punishable by imprisonment up to 5 years and with fine up to US$ 1250/- under Passports Act 1967. The Penalty for each such travel to India on Indian Passport after acquiring foreign nationality is US$ 250/-. Please see the provisions in the Passports Act 1967.

Please note that if you have acquired US (foreign) Citizenship on or before 31 May 2010 and if you have "Cancelled" stamp on your Indian passport, then there is a no requirement of acquiring "Surrender Certificate". If you do not have a cancelled stamp on Indian passport then you need to get the "Surrender Certificate". However fees for that is US$ 20 only.

However US (foreign) citizens of Indian origin who naturalized on or after 1 June 2010, they have to follow the above-mentioned procedure with requisite fees of US$ 175/- for "Renunciation and Surrender Certificate".