After I take the oath, can I visit the UK on a UK passport?

USImmigrator

Registered Users (C)
I'm waiting for my oath ceremony, and was planning on heading back to my native (but renounced) UK to see my family. I don't want to wait for a passport though.

Can I fly to the UK on my UK passport, and use whatever paperwork I get at the oath ceremony to re-enter the US? Or am I supposed to rip up my UK passport, and just use a US passport?

Thanks!

You can get a US passport in as little as one day if you provide proof of travel. You cannot re-enter US without a US passport once you become a US citizen.

What do you mean you renounced your UK citizenship? Do you mean that you will lose that citizenship once you become a US citizen? That is incorrect, and you will remain a UK citizen even after you take the oath. If you want to renounce UK citizenship, you have to do it at the embassy/consulate. If you don't, you can freely use your UK passport, but either apply for a rush US passport before you go, or apply for one in the UK before you return.

Thanks cafe,

When I say renounced UK citizenship, I don't plan on burning my UK passport. I thought part of becoming a US citizen was that you had to travel the world as a US Citizen, and put US above all others.

So is it legal to travel with 2 passports then? And then use your favorite one at the foreign border (e.g. going to Cuba or somewhere in Europe)

The US does not care if you are a citizen of other countries, and neither does the UK, so you will be a citizen of both countries without any problems. You only need to leave and enter the US as a US citizen. It's also advisable to enter and leave the UK and other countries of the EU, EEA, EFTA and Switzerland as a British citizen since that will give you many more rights there.

It's completely legal to choose which passport you want to use aside from this. But, try to use the same passport to enter and leave other countries (enter and leave Egypt, for example, with 1 passport). Also going to some countries is cheaper and easier for non-US citizens (Russia, Iran, China maybe), so use your British passport. As for Cuba, as a US citizen, it is still illegal to spend money there without the US government's permission, but they will stamp the tourist card anyway. Just don't bring back stuff from Cuba to the US in case you are searched.