After GC -Medical Insurance for parents (70+ age)

kuchchbhee

Registered Users (C)
Pardon me if i am posting in wrong place, but i am hoping there are others here who are in same boat as me.

I am currently researching medical insurance options for my parents (70+) who will be traveling to US on newly issued GC.

i was mentally prepared for KV Rao Indianet but then i ran into other new companies offering much better rates. One of them being "Inbound USA Insurance". Anyone here would like to share or jointly research?

i was mentally prepared for KV Rao Indianet but then i ran into other new companies offering much better rates. One of them being "Inbound USA Insurance".

Aren't those just short-term insurance policies intended for visitors to the US, not GC residents?

Unfortunately, you'll find that health insurance for age 70+ is either exorbitant (like over $2000 per month per person), or nonexistent in your state.

in fact their websites mention non-citizen insurance... they seem to be quite popular with GC holders as well, but ye s you are right, they are for visitors. They do have year round plans although in some cases you might have to renew every 6 months.

Just get them the temporary insurance that visitors get and once they have taken up residence in a state then apply for any insurance you can find. If you get declined or if the rates are too high then you can apply for state subsidized insurance. This is a state run but privately funded program in most if not all states which guarantees coverage as cheap as possible to any resident. It all depends on which state you are in. Insurance rates can also depend on your zip code as well as your age.

...If you get declined or if the rates are too high then you can apply for state subsidized insurance. This is a state run but privately funded program in most if not all states which guarantees coverage as cheap as possible to any resident.

this is first i have heard about such program? I am in california... can you give me little more info or some link that i can base my search upon? Since i have signed Affidavit of Support... i believe i am responsible for all the medical expenses either thru insurance or directly they my pocket.

It is funny that illegal immigrants get medical coverage far more easily than the Green Card holders.

Google is your friend. See this for an explanation of emergency Medicaid.

http://www.infoline.org/InformationLibrary/Documents/Emergency Medicaid.asp

Quoting this:

"Emergency Medicaid does NOT pay for treatment of chronic conditions, even if the condition has the potential to be life threatening. For example, a person with a heart condition that may lead to a heart attack unless it is treated cannot get Emergency Medicaid UNTIL there is a heart attack or sudden onset of a medical emergency."

It will not cover such things as continuing cancer or diabetes treatment. It is not a substitute for health insurance.

As I understand, California is more generous with recent immigrants than other states. In my state, it is an absolute no for Medicaid. You need to discuss your particular situation with a Medi-Cal representative.

It is not only older people who have difficulty getting insurance. Disabled US born adults also cannot obtain it. Right now I am expecting to have to pay $1500-2000/month COBRA for my child's once he ages off ours before he qualifies for special pool. His medical condition does not qualify for emergency Medicaid treatment and can be fatal within months if treatment is not started immediately if it becomes critical so you can understand the need to maintain insurance at any cost at all time.

Check to see what high risk pools might be available; there may be several with different qualifying requirements (as is the case in my state). Contact an insurance agent specializing in health care plans.

Another problem is that even when they qualify for Medicare purchase, they may be unable to get a doctor. In my location only 10-20% of doctors are accepting new Medicare patients. Many of those I would not consider because of their qualifications or locations.

. Right now I am expecting to have to pay $1500-2000/month COBRA for my child's once he ages off ours before he qualifies for special pool.

Another problem is that even when they qualify for Medicare purchase, they may be unable to get a doctor. In my location only 10-20% of doctors are accepting new Medicare patients. Many of those I would not consider because of their qualifications or locations.
Whither going all this??Already premium costs skyrocket year by year , benefits plunging, how it is affordable at all in future like this and finally results more will be forced out of plans?

Last edited by a moderator:
Whither going all this??Already premium costs skyrocket year by year , benefits plunging, how it is affordable at all in future like this and finally results more will be forced out of plans?

I find the fallout from new health care legislation to making getting services harder. I just spent 45 min on phone trying to get just the forms that we need to fill out for a new referral. I once joked that their solution was to just delay until the patient died; it is becoming more like the truth.

I find the fallout from new health care legislation to making getting services harder. I just spent 45 min on phone trying to get just the forms that we need to fill out for a new referral. I once joked that their solution was to just delay until the patient died; it is becoming more like the truth.
In future it may be more harder and looks to be more gloomy.Since they already in creased due to taking in to account of Sept/10 clause1 and some do not offer plans still as they say still they are working out.
Now --after paying so much what?getting Appointments/treatment times I guess , is no better than (may be comparable to canada or sweden ,where I believe no premiums for health care exist,pl. correct some one If I am wrong).
And wait for 2014 clause.You will see the premiums go beyond milky way!.
That is why my Q--WHITHER ALL THIS POINTS TO.

Last edited by a moderator:
I find the fallout from new health care legislation to making getting services harder. I just spent 45 min on phone trying to get just the forms that we need to fill out for a new referral.

That has nothing to do with the new health care legislation. That's just their crappy service.

After talking to some people i know in person, i am further confused. They have all enrolled their parents in California's Medi-cal program. Yes, immigrant parents who have not worked in Us and are just Green Card holders. Apparently they have gone thru official application process of Medi-cal and not "show up on emergency to get treatment". What am i missing?

Since Medicaid (Medi-Cal in CA) has both state and federal funding, the states make the rules. Some chose to be more flexible and give benefits to people who would not qualify in other states. One thing to remember is that benefits are generally based on household income; if they physically live with you, your income may come into play. It would in my state even if they were to become a USC. Even living with a roommate can affect eligibility for need based programs.