After acquiring OCI, does this automatically nullify an existing India visitor visa?

JPBoston

Registered Users (C)
Hear me out on this. Right after my son was born here in the US, we got his first (5-year) US passport and a 10-year India visa because we made a trip out there when he was a couple of months old. I am going to be applying for my OCI shortly and intend to get it done for my son as well because I think it is going to be way easier doing it with mine than later on. We all know how idiotic the Indian bureaucratic system is ... just look how they are handling the Surrender Certificate crap over here at the consulates. God only knows how much more difficult they will make the OCI process or increase fees in the future.

Anyway with this stupid rule of now having to re-issue OCI stickers on new passports for people under age 21, I would have to do it every five years for my son until he is 16 (when he would get a regular 10-year passport). My reasoning is that if I get his OCI done with my OCI app and then his current passport expires in a couple of years, I could hold off on applying for OCI sticker on his second 5-year passport until his 10-year India visa ends which would coincide with the expiration of his second passport's 5-year life. Then when my son gets his third passport (again valid for only 5 years), I would apply to get his OCI re-stickered in this new passport based on the fact he already has an approved OCI.

It only makes sense if the OCI status does not invalidate an existing visitor visa and that the Indian govt does not care about gaps in OCI stickering in passports.

Don't do so many calculations.
OCI stamp will nullify other India visas. In fact, they will cancel them for you for free. Lucky you. Try this tomorrow, and they might want USD 175 to cancel this visa.

But seriously, if you were transferring OCI sticker from one passport to another, it will not be an issue to wait one year (just my opinion).
But not going for stamping OCI for one year after it is granted ... they will likely ask quite a few questions.

Hear me out on this. Right after my son was born here in the US, we got his first (5-year) US passport and a 10-year India visa because we made a trip out there when he was a couple of months old. I am going to be applying for my OCI shortly and intend to get it done for my son as well because I think it is going to be way easier doing it with mine than later on. We all know how idiotic the Indian bureaucratic system is ... just look how they are handling the Surrender Certificate crap over here at the consulates. God only knows how much more difficult they will make the OCI process or increase fees in the future.

Anyway with this stupid rule of now having to re-issue OCI stickers on new passports for people under age 21, I would have to do it every five years for my son until he is 16 (when he would get a regular 10-year passport). My reasoning is that if I get his OCI done with my OCI app and then his current passport expires in a couple of years, I could hold off on applying for OCI sticker on his second 5-year passport until his 10-year India visa ends which would coincide with the expiration of his second passport's 5-year life. Then when my son gets his third passport (again valid for only 5 years), I would apply to get his OCI re-stickered in this new passport based on the fact he already has an approved OCI.

It only makes sense if the OCI status does not invalidate an existing visitor visa and that the Indian govt does not care about gaps in OCI stickering in passports.

Once you get OCI for your Child then no need to use Visa as Child will have OCI Card. If after 5 years Child has to get new US passport valid for 5 years then he has two options when visit India.
Option 1: He should carry his new passport +Expired Passport and OCI booklet
Option 2: Pay $25 and consulate will make now OCI card for him with new passport number on OCI booklet and new US visa sticker in his new US passport and you have to fill miscellaneous service application Online then take the Printout and send his Expired Passport+$25+new Passport.
Read the Below Link and keep the Copy with you:
http://hcipos.org/cms/images/stories/PDF/difficulties%20faced%20by%20oci_holders.pdf

I am in exactly the same situation. I got OCI for my son however. I am not sure if his visitor visa is still valid. I wrote to NYCGI, but they responded back with an irrelevent answer. I let it slide as the visa is on an expired US passport and the OCI is on a new passport.

Once you get OCI for your Child then no need to use Visa as Child will have OCI Card. If after 5 years Child has to get new US passport valid for 5 years then he has two options when visit India.
Option 1: He should carry his new passport +Expired Passport and OCI booklet
Read the Below Link and keep the Copy with you:
http://hcipos.org/cms/images/stories/PDF/difficulties%20faced%20by%20oci_holders.pdf

That is a very useful link with info, ginnu but here is my problem. The CGI NY site says you need to get a new OCI sticker and registration every time the new passport is issued before age 20:

1. In case of issuance of new passport:
OCI registration certificate and visa carries the passport number of the registered OCI. Accordingly, each time a new passport is issued to an OCI holder, it has to be captured on the registration certificate and visa. This would require re-issuance of OCI registration certificate and visa each time a new passport is issued. However, as the major benefit of OCI Scheme is life long visa to visit , problems arise each time a new passport is issued. In some countries old passport s are not returned. Further, in many countries, the validity of passport is for 5 years. To obviate these difficulties, the following scheme has been incorporated:

1. Up to the completion of 20 years of age, OCI documents have to be re-issued each time a new passport is issued;

So what does one go with if this is the contradictory messages coming out of different Indian offices? :mad:

That is a very useful link with info, ginnu but here is my problem.
The CGI NY site says you need to get a new OCI sticker and registration every time the new passport is issued before age 20:
---- That is wrong info posted by them ask them and Post the Link That MHA does not say What they are saying or posting.

So what does one go with if this is the contradictory messages coming out of different Indian offices?
----- Will you belive NYC that created Mess or MHA document?
:mad:

even if the Child has PIO for 15 years and then gets new Passport then child shuld take Expired US Passport+new US passpot and PIO card with expired US passport number on PIO Card.If you need to get new US passport Number to be written on PIO Card then they dont charge any fee and is same day service.

I am in exactly the same situation. I got OCI for my son however. I am not sure if his visitor visa is still valid. I wrote to NYCGI, but they responded back with an irrelevent answer. I let it slide as the visa is on an expired US passport and the OCI is on a new passport.

If your Son got OCI and U Visa in his passport then why care about visitor Visa and why Child want to enter India on visitor visa stamp ? U visa that is stamped in His US passport is valid for life.