After 3-Year Battle, Chinese Teenager Is on Road to U.S. Citizenship

thankful

Registered Users (C)
After 3-Year Battle, Chinese Teenager Is on Road to U.S. Citizenship
By RALPH BLUMENTHAL
[the New York Times]
HOUSTON, April 10 — Young Zheng could not wish for a better 18th birthday present: a green card.

Not the counterfeit kind given to him by Chinese smugglers known as snakeheads before they put him on a plane to the United States. A real one, so he can get out of federal custody, stave off deportation, finish school and chase his dream of becoming a biologist.

It now appears that Young, who once bashed himself against a wall to avoid being sent back to China, has won a three-year legal struggle over his immigration status, putting him on the path to American citizenship — if keeping him in the shadows indefinitely for his own safety.

Young foresees a normal life someday, he said in an interview on Sunday under condition that his whereabouts be withheld and that photographs not reveal his features. "I look so different than when I came here," he said, running a hand through his spiky black hair.

Anyway, he said, "when I am 40 or 50, the smugglers already pass away." They had already threatened family members, he said.

After a federal judge in Houston forced the government in February to allow the case to be heard in family court, a Texas family court judge ruled Friday that Young had been neglected and abandoned by his father in China.

With that ruling, Young's lawyer, John Sullivan III — a partner at Fulbright & Jaworski who at the urging of the actress Angelina Jolie had mobilized a legal team to work on this and other child refugee cases pro bono — filed immigration papers on Monday to grant Young residency under the federal Special Immigrant Juvenile Status law.

"It's my opinion he will get a green card," Don Cassidy, a lawyer for the Department of Homeland Security's Immigration and Customs Enforcement, said Friday by telephone hookup to the court. "I'd be very shocked if he didn't."

Among the many legal entanglements the case presented, the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, in Philadelphia, has put aside, but could yet rule on, a government appeal of a lower court decision staying Young's deportation after he was detained at Newark Liberty International Airport in June 2003.

Mr. Sullivan said he was working with immigration officials to ensure that the process would not be disrupted by Young's birthday on April 23, when he turns 18 and could be deemed no longer subject to family court. The court's reach extends to those up to 21 as long as they are in school, but if immigration authorities take Young into custody after 18, he may be considered to be no longer in school and therefore deportable.

Still, Mr. Sullivan said he was "ecstatic" with the outcome. "We're going to have a big party as soon as everything is official," he said.

Young, too, seemed overwhelmed. "I thought it's going to take years to get green card," he said.

"Well," Mr. Sullivan said, "we're going to try to expedite it."

In an account corroborated in court papers, Young said that when he was born in Fu Zhou, his parents already had a 1-year-old daughter and with a second child, his mother was forcibly sterilized. She was killed by a car while getting him treats for his ninth birthday, he said.

His father remarried but Young said he did not get along with his stepmother, in part because of the tax he was costing the family as a second child. When he was 14, he said, his father arranged with smugglers for his flight to Newark.

"My father told me he would take care of it," Young said. He found out later, he said, that he was obligated to pay off the $60,000 debt to the smugglers.

Detained at the airport when his green card was exposed as fake, he was confined in a youth center in Pennsylvania before the place was closed in an abuse scandal. He was moved to a facility in Chicago, where, after good behavior, he was released to live with an uncle, a cook in Akron, Ohio. At that point, Young said, the snakeheads considered their part of the deal fulfilled and expected him to start working off his debt. Instead, he went to school and became a straight-A student.

He reported monthly to immigration officials, he said, until he was told he need come in only every three months. But after a missed appointment, he said, he was ordered to report and was arrested for deportation.

In the van to the airport, he broke free and ran two blocks before being captured. At the airport, heading toward the plane, he smashed his head repeatedly into a wall. "I was in the hospital 10 hours," Young recalled on Sunday. When he recovered, he said, he was flown to a detention facility in Texas, where Mr. Sullivan took his case.

Young said he liked to play basketball — he admires Yao Ming, the Houston Rockets star, but said, "Yao is not as fast as me" — and started attending Mass with Mr. Sullivan, who has become a kind of guardian.

But Young said he was sticking to his goal of becoming a biologist, not a lawyer.

"To be a lawyer, you have to be studying a lot of law," he said, "and that's not interesting for me."

straight A student. AWESOME!

Straight A student. Awesome. I admire people who has the iron will. they know what they want and work hard for it. kuddos!

Miss.PinK said:
Straight A student. Awesome. I admire people who has the iron will. they know what they want and work hard for it. kuddos!

China must be really horrible for a kid to leave like that.

kelvin2088 said:
do some research or give it a visit to mainland. don't speculate. :)

I have been there a number of times on business. I know what the place is like. It is a disgusting place.

where r u from? u think china is a disgusting place? well fine... that's ur taste :eek:

thankful said:
I have been there a number of times on business. I know what the place is like. It is a disgusting place.

thankful said:
China must be really horrible for a kid to leave like that.

What is your point? It just makes me laugh when a member of THIS forum try to criticize other countries.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey that disgusting place with its disgusting dictator is going to be world power soon.

Last I remember, a lot of americans are going there to live and have only one child. Only the chinese that are there wants to move out of china to bear more than one children.

Maybe we just wants something that we dont have sometimes.

comcast said:
Right--like the Soviet Union is going to bury the West. :p :p :p :p

No, no, The communist china will collapse soon. ....But wait a minute, hasn't it been said since the collapse of Soviet Union or the Tiananmen Square protects? Damn, it was like almost 20 years ago! :p :p :p :p :p

ha............guess those ppl will never wait till that day :D :D

taydawgg said:
No, no, The communist china will collapse soon. ....But wait a minute, hasn't it been said since the collapse of Soviet Union or the Tiananmen Square protects? Damn, it was like almost 20 years ago! :p :p :p :p :p

ah ... country is just a country ...

why we are debating about country ? .. it won't go anywhere .. the people is the one that matter ! and each individual counts .. some are bads and some are goods. enuf said.

ps: I am soon-to-be a person without a country anyway (if they take away my passport this friday). yupe, I will go there (consulate) and face my fear (renewing my passport. 'n if they asked my status, I will tell them the truth about gc 'n asylum. if they take my passport away... so be it. prolly it is my destiny that I have to use RTD for my travel purposes) ... , God bless us all.

*Cheers*

Miss Pink, don't tell them about your asylum voluntarily. If they ask for your GC and recognize A6 there, then they will know anyway, but if they don't, then you will have a renewed passport. Remember, when you were interviewed for asylum, the thing that the interviewing officer said (as that is one thing they must say before the interview) is that the fact that you applied for asylmu will be between you and INS, so do not tell your consulate about your asylum unless they catch up on it on their own.

China is a terrible place

While working for an Iraqi hospital when I met three attractive Chinese nurses from Shanghai. They just graduated from nursing school and got work visas to of all places Iraq. At that time Iraq was under a UN embargo, there was the constant threat of renewed military operation by the Allies and Saddam's secret police thugs were roaming around. In short Iraq was a really bad place to be in. We hardly attracted any foreigners. We were really puzzled that the girls were with us.

After we had become close friends, one of girls confided in me that she could not stand the disgusting government of China. She said that most people in China would get out in a heartbeat if given the chance. According to her, compared to his Chinese counterpart, Saddam was not that bad. Now given Saddam's record, just imagine what the Chinese government is doing to its own people.

In the past three years there has been a proliferation of Chinese immigration into Iraq. Chinese emigrants are probably only outnumbered by the Jihad fighters. Chinese restaurants are now a cottage industry in big Iraqi cities.

Amazing.

Miss.PinK said:
why we are debating about country ? .. it won't go anywhere .. the people is the one that matter ! and each individual counts .. some are bads and some are goods. enuf said.

ps: I am soon-to-be a person without a country anyway (if they take away my passport this friday). yupe, I will go there (consulate) and face my fear (renewing my passport. 'n if they asked my status, I will tell them the truth about gc 'n asylum. if they take my passport away... so be it. prolly it is my destiny that I have to use RTD for my travel purposes) ... , God bless us all.

*Cheers*

Miss Pink, You know that if you renew your country passport, you can't get a RTD ever? right?