• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Affidavit of Support

mike351

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

Which form should be filled out by my green card sponsor? I-134 or I-864?

Thanks

PS. I am a DV-2011 winner.

I-134, There will be detailed information about that in 2nd NL or inquire about that with your embassy/consulate where you will be processed.
Its better to wait out and see what else is required as some information is required based upon country of origin.

Last edited by a moderator:
2nd NL doesn't contain such details . If you are from Sri Lanka, just a letter form the sponsor is sufficient. But don't know about the other countries.

Last edited by a moderator:
I-864 is the form you have to use.USCIS has completely reworked Form I-864, Affidavit of Support Under Section 213A of the Act, and Form I-864A, Contract Between Sponsor and Household Member. In addition, it has created two new forms: Form I-864EZ, EZ Affidavit of Support Under Section 213A of the Act, and Form I-864W, Intending Immigrant's Affidavit of Support Exemption. This article will summarize all of these changes by comparing the final rule and new forms with their predecessors.

I-864 is the form you have to use.USCIS has completely reworked Form I-864, Affidavit of Support Under Section 213A of the Act, and Form I-864A, Contract Between Sponsor and Household Member. In addition, it has created two new forms: Form I-864EZ, EZ Affidavit of Support Under Section 213A of the Act, and Form I-864W, Intending Immigrant's Affidavit of Support Exemption. This article will summarize all of these changes by comparing the final rule and new forms with their predecessors.

So, I should use I-864 and I-864EZ. Is that it? However, travel state gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_3730.html this link says that these forms are good for NVC process. We are not getting our green card via NVC, but KCC. Are you sure about that?

Who Needs an Affidavit of Support?

This form is legally required for many family-based and some employment based immigrants to show they have adequate means of support, when planning to immigrate to the U.S. Generally, the following intending immigrants need an Affidavit of Support:

It's from trave state gov. We get our green card from lottery. So, I understand that it's nothing to do with us.

samuel5028 how do you know Srikaran has to fill in the form i-864? Maybe he needs the i-134..
It depends on his case. Is he looking for a personal sponsor or does he have to sponsor his family??

If it's a sponsor for you ==> i134
family ==> i-864

Does someone know if the i-134 must be an original or can it be a copy?
Also, do the supporting documents have to be originals ?

THX

In DV cases never it needs form I-864 unless it is asked by the embassy whether it is a family or single applicant. This form 864 is usually used for family based immigration not fot sponsoring tourist and diversity immigrants. If u go through the forms, u will find I864 form has additional parts and it simply has some legal bindings. It is more tough for a sponsor to sign form I 864 than to sign 134.

In DV cases never it needs form I-864 unless it is asked by the embassy whether it is a family or single applicant. This form 864 is usually used for family based immigration not fot sponsoring tourist and diversity immigrants. If u go through the forms, u will find I864 form has additional parts and it simply has some legal bindings. It is more tough for a sponsor to sign form I 864 than to sign 134.

so what do u mean Nightingle? He should use which form ?
Also, was I saying something wrong ?

Here is some information that I found on this. It clearly states that diversity visa applicants should use I-134.

9 FAM 40.41 N4.6-3 Use of Form I-134, Affidavit of
Support
(CT:VISA-1317; 09-24-2009)
a. Because INA 212(a)(4)(C) and INA 213A require the use of Form I-864,
Affidavit of Support Under Section 213A of the Act, for so many classes of
immigrants, the use of Form I-134, Affidavit of Support, has been
reduced considerably. Nevertheless, there still are circumstances when
Form I-134 will be beneficial. This affidavit, submitted by the applicant at
your request, is not legally binding on the sponsor and should not be
accorded the same weight as Form I-864. Form I-134 should be given
consideration as one form of evidence, however, in conjunction with the
other forms of evidence mentioned below.
b. If any of the following applicants need an Affidavit of Support to meet the
public charge requirement, they must use Form I-134, as they are not
authorized to use Form I-864:
(1) The self-petitioning spouse of a deceased U.S. citizen, and any
children of the self petitioner (see INA 204(a)(1)(A)(ii));
(2) The self-petitioning spouse of a U.S. citizen, who has been battered
by or subjected to extreme cruelty perpetrated by the spouse, and
any children of the self-petitioner (see INA 204(a)(1)(A)(iii) and
(iv));
(3) Returning resident aliens;
(4) Diversity visa applicants; and
(5) Fiancé(e)s.

See the whole document here.
http: // www . state . gov/documents/organization/86988.pdf

Here is some information that I found on this. It clearly states that diversity visa applicants should use I-134.

9 FAM 40.41 N4.6-3 Use of Form I-134, Affidavit of
Support
(CT:VISA-1317; 09-24-2009)
a. Because INA 212(a)(4)(C) and INA 213A require the use of Form I-864,
Affidavit of Support Under Section 213A of the Act, for so many classes of
immigrants, the use of Form I-134, Affidavit of Support, has been
reduced considerably. Nevertheless, there still are circumstances when
Form I-134 will be beneficial. This affidavit, submitted by the applicant at
your request, is not legally binding on the sponsor and should not be
accorded the same weight as Form I-864. Form I-134 should be given
consideration as one form of evidence, however, in conjunction with the
other forms of evidence mentioned below.
b. If any of the following applicants need an Affidavit of Support to meet the
public charge requirement, they must use Form I-134, as they are not
authorized to use Form I-864:
(1) The self-petitioning spouse of a deceased U.S. citizen, and any
children of the self petitioner (see INA 204(a)(1)(A)(ii));
(2) The self-petitioning spouse of a U.S. citizen, who has been battered
by or subjected to extreme cruelty perpetrated by the spouse, and
any children of the self-petitioner (see INA 204(a)(1)(A)(iii) and
(iv));
(3) Returning resident aliens;
(4) Diversity visa applicants; and
(5) Fiancé(e)s.

See the whole document here.
http: // www . state . gov/documents/organization/86988.pdf

Good finding! THX

You have to use form I-134.If the sponsor is in the United States, the affidavit may be sworn to or affirmed before an immigration officer or before a notary public or other official authorized to administer oaths for general purposes. If the sponsor is outside the United States, the affidavit must be sworn to or affirmed before a U.S. consular or immigration officer.