• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Affidavit of support(l-864 or l-134)

tage

Registered Users (C)
Hii,
I'm preparing documents for interview in August and I have a relative having GC and living in USA and he will sponsor me, but don't know what form tell him to fill. Is it l-134 or l-864? what is the difference between the two .I could not figure out which form to use?Thanks in advance for answering.

Hii,
I'm preparing documents for interview in August and I have a relative having GC and living in USA and he will sponsor me, but don't know what form tell him to fill. Is it l-134 or l-864? what is the difference between the two .I could not figure out which form to use?Thanks in advance for answering.

Use form I-134. You will find this on the website of the State Department in the DV-2010 Instructions under #32. Good luck on your interview!

l-134 or l-864?
Can be neither. You are not required to submit an affidavit, once you have other proofs of not becoming a public charge. It can be a bank account with sufficient funds, a property (better), a job or a job offer (even better). I did not have any affidavits, and was not asked about it at the interview.

Can be neither. You are not required to submit an affidavit, once you have other proofs of not becoming a public charge. It can be a bank account with sufficient funds, a property (better), a job or a job offer (even better). I did not have any affidavits, and was not asked about it at the interview.

Of course if you have a employer sponsoring you or you have enough funds your self, you don't need the form at all or you can have the form ready as plan B in case they raise qquestions. But for all people who don't have money them self or a job sponsoring them, they will need it.

I-134! This is the one for the DV lotery GC.

Make sure the sponsor knows what he signs before he does because the sponsor can and will be sued if you file for soc. sec. benefits.

http://www.pcc.edu/about/international/admissions/documents/I-134.pdf

This is not entirely true. The majority of soc. sec. benefits are not subject to "public charge". Read the following:
http://www.uscis.gov/files/article/public_cfs.pdf
http://www.uscis.gov/files/article/Public.pdf
http://www.uscis.gov/files/article/public_cqa.pdf

If anyone gives you problems, you can refer them to those documents.

This is not entirely true. The majority of soc. sec. benefits are not subject to "public charge". Read the following:
http://www.uscis.gov/files/article/public_cfs.pdf
http://www.uscis.gov/files/article/Public.pdf
http://www.uscis.gov/files/article/public_cqa.pdf

If anyone gives you problems, you can refer them to those documents.

Good links but if you don't have a sponsor or money or can easily become a liability you still have a smaller chance to get the GC. If you have your papers ready and filled out the chances are becoming way bigger to get the GC.
It is clearly stated that the sponsor can and will be sponsored if you apply for soc. sec., most things described in the links are open to other people as well. Legal aliens and I think even illegal aliens can get free immunizations for their kids since at the health department they never even ask for anything if you don't have a SSN#.

congratulations !

Use form I-134. You will find this on the website of the State Department in the DV-2010 Instructions under #32. Good luck on your interview!

DC2010,
thanks for info. not I'm sure what form to use...:):)

I-134! This is the one for the DV lotery GC.

Make sure the sponsor knows what he signs before he does because the sponsor can and will be sued if you file for soc. sec. benefits.

Why I should make him sure of what to sign...(He should not what he is doing isn't he?!! :rolleyes:)

Why I should make him sure of what to sign...(He should not what he is doing isn't he?!! :rolleyes:)

I guess the sponsor needs to know what he is responsible for when he signs....but if you want to trick some one to sign a paper so you can trick the person...that doesn't seems right to me and it can bite you later on.

Hi

can you specify sufficient funds means how much funds?

Thanks in advance
Sudip Mukherjee

can you specify sufficient funds means how much funds?
IMO, sufficient means at least five times above the official poverty guidelines, because you will hardly become a citizen in less than five years. Check with the Department of Health and Human Services and do the math. For one person it is $10,830 per year, for the family of eight it is $37,010 per year.

For one person it is $10,830 per year, for the family of eight it is $37,010 per year.

Just checked the link. I have a family of 3 , me , my spouse and my kid , so i should have almost $90,000 with me if i want to show sufficient funds. With that amount of money i can spend my life living like a king , here in India.

Anyway , thanx for the link and the reply.

Sudip Mukherjee

Just checked the link. I have a family of 3 , me , my spouse and my kid , so i should have almost $90,000 with me if i want to show sufficient funds. With that amount of money i can spend my life living like a king , here in India.

Anyway , thanx for the link and the reply.

Sudip Mukherjee

Really , I think it's not serious to ask that money :mad:

Have in mind that this lump sum is not your only option. A job offer letter stating your annual salary (and supported by a college degree) will do the same trick. The whole idea behind this requirement is to make sure that on the next day after receiving a green card you will not become a beggar.

I have a question about affidavit.
We are a family of three and my wife is the actual winner.
How much money we should show at interview time? Is 30k USD cerficates of deposit enough?
There are also high chances that I will have a job offer BEFORE interview date. How that offer should sound like? Stating the company name, salary and saying that its being released for visa interview? Is that valid? Even i"m not the DV winner (my wife is). thanks

IMO, sufficient means at least five times above the official poverty guidelines, because you will hardly become a citizen in less than five years. Check with the Department of Health and Human Services and do the math. For one person it is $10,830 per year, for the family of eight it is $37,010 per year.

I think the general guideline is just to have more than the poverty level, not necessarily five times it (although I'm sure that would help). I definitely didn't have five times the poverty level (I'm just a student finishing off a graduate degree) and I didn't have a job offer either and they accepted my application.