advice needed

check_me22

Registered Users (C)
I am a student on an F -1 visa who is currently in my last year of PhD studies. My fiance is US citizen and we are planning to get married soon. I am also planning to apply for a visitor visa for my parents in India and am hoping for a ten-year visa, assuming that if all the paperwork is crystal clear (I am sending them an invitation to attend my graduation ceremony by the end of this year along with the other documents), the chances of getting a longer duration visa are higher.

My question is whether getting married first would affect my parents?chances of getting the ten-year visitors?visa: should I get married first, or apply for the visa first?

(I have one sister and I am the only son. My dad is one and half years away from his retirement, and my mom is a housewife who left her job to take care of my sister's son who is now a year old. My sister is married and lives close by; she and her husband are both working.)

thanks

First of all getting a B visa for your parents are under vice counsel courtesy whatever the crystal clear your documents. As a student how will you sponser your parents, even if they get vids it may be very short duration only. (if tyour home country is India, it is more tougher)

if you marry an USC, and get your green card you can sponser your parents but again non immigrant B visa is always not certain. But if you get your Citizenship after 3 yeras of your marriage you can sponser your parents for GC. That will allow them to come here and stay here for ever.

check_me22 said:
I am a student on an F -1 visa who is currently in my last year of PhD studies. My fiance is US citizen and we are planning to get married soon. I am also planning to apply for a visitor visa for my parents in India and am hoping for a ten-year visa, assuming that if all the paperwork is crystal clear (I am sending them an invitation to attend my graduation ceremony by the end of this year along with the other documents), the chances of getting a longer duration visa are higher.

My question is whether getting married first would affect my parents?chances of getting the ten-year visitors?visa: should I get married first, or apply for the visa first?

(I have one sister and I am the only son. My dad is one and half years away from his retirement, and my mom is a housewife who left her job to take care of my sister's son who is now a year old. My sister is married and lives close by; she and her husband are both working.)

thanks

great guru said:
First of all getting a B visa for your parents are under vice counsel courtesy whatever the crystal clear your documents. As a student how will you sponser your parents, even if they get vids it may be very short duration only. (if tyour home country is India, it is more tougher)

You are right there about counsel courtesy but considering 2 situations where :
1 . i invited my parents for my graduation ceremony on F 1 visa
2. married a USC and then sponsor their visa

won't the US immigration take the 2nd case as somebody breaking the promise to return to home country ( F 1 visa assumption when granted) and can be less inclined to grant parent's visa.
My understanding is 1st case is more liable to get visa.
correct me please if this is how they think.

On the other hand marrying first( 2nd case) may get me a longer visa for my parents as they may think that the trip would be more frequent as their son is settled in US as compared to the first case where i am inviting them for my graduation ceremony and can be considered a one time visit only.

please share your views with me . i urge you all there
thanks

check_me22 said:
great guru said:

You are right there about counsel courtesy but considering 2 situations where :
1 . i invited my parents for my graduation ceremony on F 1 visa
2. married a USC and then sponsor their visa

won't the US immigration take the 2nd case as somebody breaking the promise to return to home country ( F 1 visa assumption when granted) and can be less inclined to grant parent's visa.
My understanding is 1st case is more liable to get visa.
correct me please if this is how they think.

On the other hand marrying first( 2nd case) may get me a longer visa for my parents as they may think that the trip would be more frequent as their son is settled in US as compared to the first case where i am inviting them for my graduation ceremony and can be considered a one time visit only.

please share your views with me . i urge you all there
thanks

First of all, I think all these rules for granting tudent visas are a joke. You are quizzed by the consulate officers closely and you have to convince them that you will return to your country after you finish your studies (stipulation for any non-immigrant visa that you would return). But majority of the student visa holders settle in this country anyway either by way of getting a job that sponsors GC or marrying somebody and that has been the trend for years and years. On top of all that, the houses are considering a new immigration law that would let international students who completed their graduate degrees here to directly apply for their adjustment of status. Now looking at the ground realities, all the screening at the US consulates around the world for F-1 visa applicants is just a pain in the butt for the students who finally come over to the US and nothing else, as it doesn't help any special cause.

Now, to reply your questions, there is no guarantee about your parents getting a visiting visa to the US no matter what status you are in. If you filed for your adjustment of status, chances are they may have less success at getting the visitors visa. If not, it might be easier as you mentioned, also because they are older folks and may not want to stay here anyway, especially while you are still only a student.

Now how long would they get the visitors visa for? If it is their first trip to the US, chances are they may not get a visa that is valid for longer than 6 months anyway. So I guess you won't really know until you spend your $200 on appointments at the US consulate and let them find out in person :). Good luck! And, happy married life!