Advance Parole and re-entry experiences

rollingstone

Registered Users (C)
I am planning to apply for 485/EAD/AP soon. I am planning to go out of the country in December. I've heard that reentry with AP can by risky.
Is this true? Has anyone had a problem coming back on AP?

rollingstone said:
I am planning to apply for 485/EAD/AP soon. I am planning to go out of the country in December. I've heard that reentry with AP can by risky. Is this true? Has anyone had a problem coming back on AP?

It's only risky if you're subject to the 3/10 year bars for an overstay. Otherwise, it is quite straightforward.

What happens while you are out of country and Your I-485 Gets denied for some reason without USCIS sending NOID.

S_Reddy said:
What happens while you are out of country and Your I-485 Gets denied for some reason without USCIS sending NOID.
Unlikely scenario - why would USCIS not send you a NOID ?

This is like asking, what will happen if I lose the all copies of the AP while I am abroad - how can I re-enter ?
That's not a risk with using AP per se.

I know USCIS will send NOID and we can respond it within 30 days, but lets assume the case is denied without a NOID then how will you enter.
That is the only risk i see with AP if you stayed legally here. I haven't see any case like that but you have to prepared for that what to do.

S_Reddy said:
I know USCIS will send NOID and we can respond it within 30 days, but lets assume the case is denied without a NOID then how will you enter.
That is the only risk i see with AP if you stayed legally here. I haven't see any case like that but you have to prepared for that what to do.
And what happens if the plane crashes, or you get crushed by a charging elephant on the way to the airport? Life is too short to worry about improbable what ifs.

dms/max2k/realcanadian,
I will be travelling out of country next week and i am returing to US on Advance Parole. I have the below questions.

1) Do i need to carry all 3 copies i received for AP?

2) As you know, coming back to US, we will be asked to fill the I-94 form, what should i write in the field, where it asks for 'have you applied for Immigration in US'? Do we have to inform them know that we have pending GC process?

3) Do they issue the I-94 validity based on AP?

Please reply.

Thanks in advance

hopeofgc said:
dms/max2k/realcanadian,
I will be travelling out of country next week and i am returing to US on Advance Parole. I have the below questions.

The IO will ask for two .You can also make copies of your AP ,he will keep on of the original AP and will return one stamped

2) As you know, coming back to US, we will be asked to fill the I-94 form, what should i write in the field, where it asks for 'have you applied for Immigration in US'? Do we have to inform them know that we have pending GC process?Yes

Ys .Its a different stamp for AP which will be valid till the expiry date of your AP

Please reply.

Thanks in advance

(1) Keep all 3 - most likely you need only 2 - they will keep 1 copy at POE and return 1 copy stamped to you.

(2) AFAIK, I-94 does NOT ask whether you've applied for a immigrant status - unless things have changed big time :D - I94 will only ask stuff about where you boarded the plane, your personal details, blah blah.

(3) I-94 will be stamped for a year from the date of your entry (and that date doesn't mean anything really) -- it is NOT connected to the date of your AP expiry - it will always be 1 year from your date of entry.

hopeofgc said:
dms/max2k/realcanadian,

2) As you know, coming back to US, we will be asked to fill the I-94 form, what should i write in the field, where it asks for 'have you applied for Immigration in US'? Do we have to inform them know that we have pending GC process?

Please reply.

Thanks in advance

max2k1 said:
(1) Keep all 3 - most likely you need only 2 - they will keep 1 copy at POE and return 1 copy stamped to you.

(2) AFAIK, I-94 does NOT ask whether you've applied for a immigrant status - unless things have changed big time :D - I94 will only ask stuff about where you boarded the plane, your personal details, blah blah.

(3) I-94 will be stamped for a year from the date of your entry (and that date doesn't mean anything really) -- it is NOT connected to the date of your AP expiry - it will always be 1 year from your date of entry.

Thanks for your responses max2k1. If i am not wrong, when coming back to US, we need to fill up a form (don't remember the form name) in flight before arrival to US and i vaguely remember that there would a question 'Have you applied for immigration in US or non-immigrant' in the form?

So in this case, what should we reply?

hopeofgc said:
i vaguely remember that there would a question 'Have you applied for immigration in US or non-immigrant' in the form? So in this case, what should we reply?

Why YES, of course. Why on Earth would you say no?

Hi Everyone,

We are visiting India for 2-3 weeks and we are using Advanced Parole to enter to US and we are traveling via Frankfurt, Germany.

Just today I have talked to Germany consulate they said I have to take transit visa from India for return trip to US.

I have gone through many threads on this topic, nobody said anything about this. Is this new rule??

I also visited chenni (Germany) consulate website and they do not have option for transit visa. Do I have to go to Delhi?? I live in Hyderabad. We are traveling with two kids.

TheRealCanadian said:
Why YES, of course. Why on Earth would you say no?

Thanks for your response TRC. Well, the reason why i was asking is i don't want to answer something incorrect.

max2k1 said:

Well in my case it was stamped till the expiry of my AP .Traveled in March

Last edited by a moderator:
hopeofgc said:
Thanks for your responses max2k1. If i am not wrong, when coming back to US, we need to fill up a form (don't remember the form name) in flight before arrival to US and i vaguely remember that there would a question 'Have you applied for immigration in US or non-immigrant' in the form?

So in this case, what should we reply?
There is no such form - the only form you will complete on re-entry is the I-94 and it does NOT ask this question.

I think you are confusing it with the DS* forms used for applying for a non-immigrant visa - that does ask something like that.

btw, as a simple rule, you never ever ever lie on any form - just say the truth if you are asked.

max2k1 said:
There is no such form - the only form you will complete on re-entry is the I-94 and it does NOT ask this question.

I think you are confusing it with the DS* forms used for applying for a non-immigrant visa - that does ask something like that.

btw, as a simple rule, you never ever ever lie on any form - just say the truth if you are asked.

Thanks for prompt response max2k1.

Traveling to India with AP, what happens if 485 gets approved when I m in India?

Hi,

My 485 is pending stage and I m traveling to Hyderabad via Paris, Mumbai in Air France. I have 2 questions.

1. I will be using my AP while coming back to US. Will there be any problem if my 485 gets approved while I am in India. Because, I heard once 485 gets approved, AP will become invalid. Is it true?

2. Do I need transit visa if I go via CDG (Paris) in Air France.

Please advise me. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator: