Adoption - With Green card

mynewlife

Registered Users (C)
Hi folks,

Me and my wife got our GC about a month back. We are planning to adopt a kid from overseas (India). Need to know few information.

1. How should I proceed from now? I really need to know the basics about getting a kid from overseas.

2. How long does it take normally to bring the baby to USA?

3. Will the kid be under immigrant visa too?

4. Finally should I file the Visa / Immigrant petition for the baby by myself or should I do it through an attorney?

Unless you are a US citizen, international adoptions are pretty much unworkable. An adopted child comes under FB2B, if I recall correctly.

Unless you are a US citizen, international adoptions are pretty much unworkable. An adopted child comes under FB2B, if I recall correctly.

RealCanadian - Thanks for the reply. What do you mean by pretty much unworkable? Does it mean it is impossible? Do you have any info or links that you can share with where I can get some leads to get the process started?

What do you mean by pretty much unworkable? Does it mean it is impossible?

An adopted child would fall under FB2A, which is "Spouses and Children of Permanent Residents". This involves a five or six year wait for the priority date for the child to come to the US.

Your best bet is to wait until you become a citizen.

Hello,

It all depends on the status of the child you are trying to adopt. If the child is not an orphan then you or your spouse need to spend 2 years with the child in India. However, if the child is an orpan, I think the process is straight forward.

I know for sure about non-orphan child, like adpoting a child from your own relations etc. If this is the category, I can answer almost any question you may have. I am not attorney.

Thanks guys.

Yes the child will be an orphan for sure. And we are planning to adopt a baby less than 6 months old. (Child not identified yet). Shouldn't this be straight forward like - for example say a biological child born in India?

As a Green Card holder, the only way you can bring an adopted child to the US is, if you (or spouse) have stayed with the child for two years in the past.

Else you will have to sponsor the kid as a child of Green Card holder, which is several years wait.

We are attempting to adopt a relative (girl - 14 years) from India and would appreciate any guidance you can provide. My wife and I are green card holders. Would the 2 year requirement start after we complete the adoption or can the time that my wife spent with the child on her visits to India count towards this requirement.Thanks for the help

We are attempting to adopt a relative (girl - 14 years) from India and would appreciate any guidance you can provide. My wife and I are green card holders. Would the 2 year requirement start after we complete the adoption or can the time that my wife spent with the child on her visits to India count towards this requirement.Thanks for the help
I think the 2 years has to be before the adoptive parent gets a green card. I could be wrong though, so check more informative sources.

adopting a relative

This is an old thread but can anyone still help us? I am a US citizen and my husband is an Indian Green holder. We have been looking in to adopting our nephew and completed an I 800A and homestudy. Our lawyer had told us that the process was not very hard but now I dont think he knows what he is talking about since i have seen online that people say it is impossible to adopt a relative when the parents are still living. there is an abuse situation with the father but i dont know if this qualifies as an exceptional situation and whether it can be proven effectively. I am in touch with an adoption place finally that is CARA certified but still waiting for them to get back to me. the clock is ticking since the child is 15.
We are at our wits end, it looks like we have invested money in this and it may not be approved.
Someone mentioned that my husband should try and to to india to adopt there then add him as his child but it looks like this is a no go too. Can anyone help us?

J

Our lawyer had told us that the process was not very hard but now I dont think he knows what he is talking about since i have seen online that people say it is impossible to adopt a relative when the parents are still living.

That's not true. Adoption can be done if the parents have gone through the relevant official channels to surrender their parental rights and give up the child for adoption, or if the government permanently terminated their parental rights due to abuse or neglect.

You need to find a web forum that focuses on adoption.

It must be understood that not everybody can adopt a child. A Couple intending to go in for adoption need to be first declared eligible by the USCIS. Also the child that is to be adopted should also be certified as eligible by the USCIS before adoption.If the parents intending to adopt are US Citizens or lawful permanent residents, they can petition for his/her adoptive child by filing an Immediate Relative Petition(IR-2 visa)

hey i am 16 years old live in new york with no ssn or green card i came in this country legally but over stayed my time . I

What is the process for permanent green card holder to file for unemployment? Do they need to submit a copy of their green cards