Adjustment of status after re-entry on TN

My company is suggesting that I should go ahead and submit I-485 just after 30 days are over. I wanted to know if in doing so I would be taking a big chance of I-485 denial and if any one with TN has successfully gone thru with similar situation. I am more inclined towards 45 day period as indicated on this post but wanted to get an expert opinion if possible that there is no major difference in intent when applying after 30 days as it would save me 1/2 a month. Highly appreciate your help in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
My company has its own in-house lawyer and he suggested that it won't be a problem as he has never seen any case where such a situation was scrutinized. However, he suggested that we can always present the following explanation to them in case of an scrutiny that:
"I didn't have that intention initially but after further discussion with the family, I later decided to go for it by realizing the possibilities and the prosperous future prospects for myself and my family".

Last edited by a moderator:
Although I agree that your case wil not be scrutinized, the answer your lawyer gave would get you absolutely nowhere. If they conclude that you have filed too early, then you must actaully prove (the burden is now on you) that you had no intention, which is impossible, since you had already filed I-140 and hasd already discussed this with lawyer.

You didn't decide anything "later". You and lawyer decided months ago that you would file AOS at the earliest possible oppurtunity, and you and lawyer carried out that decision. Lawyers shouldn't advise their clients to lie to govt officials.

But, as I've said all along, the chances you will get singled out are infinitessimal. However, if you do get caught, please consult with a more scrupulous lawyer before talking to CIS.

I agree with you Nelsona that lying is not the right thing to do and hence I will be taking a chance whenever I apply whether it be 30 or 45 days. Hence as per your advice I will go on and apply after the 30th day and consult with a more competent lawyer incase if there is an inquiry. I would keep my fingers across and hope that I don't end up in such a situation. Thanks for all your help and support in this matter.