Adding spouse in I-485

reliable

Registered Users (C)
Hi All,

Can I bring my spouse on H4 visa after filing I-485 petition?

What is the safe time period to bring spouse after filing I-485?

Reliable

There has been some discussion on this on other news forums. But from what I got from there; as long as your H1 is valid, i.e., you have not used EAD/AP and 485 is not approved you should be okay.

If your H1 is not valid, I suppose that you have to apply for consular processing for her.

I am not a lawyer and know nothing about the law.

Yes,

As we heard from other people consular processing for wife known as Follow- To Join process is complex and takes lots of time, but it's not impossible.

Most people if they have h1 valid then get married and bring wife on h4 and then file I-485 over here becuase it's more simple than FTJ.

reliable, Have u used EAd or AP ? do you still have h1 or other non-immigranr visa ?

JB

If you are on H1B and used AP to re-enter USA... your H1B status is still valid (as long as you didn't use EAD). Your wife can get a H4 visa stamp and come to USA. Then you can add her with your GC processing (as long as it is not approved); and file I-485/AP/EAD for her. To get her H4 visa stamp... she would need your original H1B paper as she doesn't have a H4 paper (talk to the consulate for other required documents).

The other option you have is to apply follow to join. I don't know the detail about it. You need to talk to a lawyer.

Even if your GC gets approved before you apply for her... still you don't have much to worry about... as you got married before the approval. Those people are unlucky who got married after the GC approval (very long waiting is waiting for them).

Thanks Niza for valuable info.

Would there be any delay of process in my 485, cauz of adding spouse after filing my 485?

Let me know if anybody has any idea.

Thanks,

Reliable