Accident reporting in N-400

CA_N400

I would very greatly appreciate your feedback, suggestions, etc in regard to the question below.

Approximately 2 years ago, I had a traffic accident. On the police report, I was assigned partial responsibility for the accident (for making an illegal turn) in addition to the other driver. However, I was NOT given any citation and there were no other complicating factors associated with the accident (i.e. no DUI, no arrest/detention, no-one injured). This is the only incident reported on my driving record. I have not got any tickets and have no points.

A couple of questions in this regard:
1. In the N-400 application "Good Moral Character" section, one of the questions asks if you have been CHARGED with commiting a crime or offense. Is it accurate to answer No in light of the accident above?

2. In general, should I volunteer this information during the interview if the interviewer asks something generic (such as "do you have traffic violations"?) Is there any risk of denial due to mentioning (or not mentioning) this accident?

Again, greatly appreciate any help on this topic.

Originally posted by CA_N400
I would very greatly appreciate your feedback, suggestions, etc in regard to the question below.

Approximately 2 years ago, I had a traffic accident. On the police report, I was assigned partial responsibility for the accident (for making an illegal turn) in addition to the other driver. However, I was NOT given any citation and there were no other complicating factors associated with the accident (i.e. no DUI, no arrest/detention, no-one injured). This is the only incident reported on my driving record. I have not got any tickets and have no points.

1. In the N-400 application "Good Moral Character" section, one of the questions asks if you have been CHARGED with commiting a crime or offense. Is it accurate to answer No in light of the accident above?

2. In general, should I volunteer this information during the interview if the interviewer asks something generic (such as "do you have traffic violations"?) Is there any risk of denial due to mentioning (or not mentioning) this accident?

driving tickets and/or incidents related to driving in which there was no injury/death or DUI or hit and run are not considered a crime.

Originally posted by CA_N400

Whatever you say on N400 must have evident documentation to show proof. If you say yes, I had an accident but no tickets were issued and no points were given, Be prepared to show a document.

Can you get one from the police office or from the DMV? If you cannot get any sort of documentation to show as proof then you do not have to mention it. If you can, feel free to mention it. Sometimes you can get some documentation from insrance companies and sometimes by nagging the DMV offices to look into their back-up files on computer. I did that with TN DMV sitting on the phone for oven an hour. It sometimes works.

In the end one has to make his own decision on what to write and what not to write in N400 and be prepared for consequences. Hope this helps.

Yes, use your best judgement. For the minor fender bender I got involved in, I did not mention it on the N400

Thanks a lot, nkm-oct23, WouldBeCitizen and Rahul. Your inputs and help are deeply appreciated.

Can you get one from the police office or from the DMV? If you cannot get any sort of documentation to show as proof then you do not have to mention it. If you can, feel free to mention it. Sometimes you can get some documentation from insrance companies and sometimes by nagging the DMV offices to look into their back-up files on computer. I did that with TN DMV sitting on the phone for oven an hour. It sometimes works.

WouldBeCitizen, could you pls give some info on what kind of documentation you were able to get from the DMV? Is it a seperate letter or would a driving record over an extended period which shows zero points, no arrests, etc associated with the accident suffice?

Any additional inputs/thoughts please, JoeF and other gurus?

Thanks again!

WouldBeCitizen, could you pls give some info on what kind of documentation you were able to get from the DMV? Is it a seperate letter or would a driving record over an extended period
hich shows zero points, no arrests, etc associated with the accident suffice?

Any additional inputs/thoughts please, JoeF and other gurus?

Thanks again!

Here is my take. I had a ticket in TN long time ago. I had another one in Alabama years ago (Speeding 72 on 55 :)) then another in DC for a U-turn in controlled section. The last one was only warning. There was no fine and nothing to do.

I called TN DMV at Nashville and they had no records. So I asked them if they can send me a letter saying that there are no fines or dues to them from me and there was no bad record. They sent such a letter next day. I called Alabama county and asked them to send a letter that I paid the ticket and there were no more dues. After nagging for several days they finally sent one. Then I called the city where I got the ticket in TN. They have no record because I paid the ticket and did a defensive driving course. No point system. I asked them if they can send a letter. No, you will have to call back becuase the records are old and backed up on tape/disk or whatever. I called again and found that the lady already dug the records out and was waiting for my call. She sent the letter saying that a ticket was issued and was promptly paid and nothing was due.

All the letters were on their respective letter heads except the Alabama county since that county is damn too small to have letter heads, they gave a plain paper letter. It was OK.

I checked all those in N-400 (Citations) and enclosed copies and a separate page listing each of the citations and explained what it was and how the situation was resolved in each case. In none of the cases DUI was involved. I never touched Alcohol in my whole life. But during N400 interview the officer did ask if I had any DUI or drinking problems. I told him the same. And that was that. What I found from DC guys was that the ticket never went to the DMV office since it was only a warning. So I copied the ticket and sent a photocopy with N400.

Fortunately I preserved all the tickets or their copies. Only three I had and I preserved all the three. If you cannot get letters from DMV, you can mention that you are applying for citizenship (I did use that wording to get them to do it) and you need these letters badly. I used the same for IRS letters too (no taxes are due). I did not enclose IRS letters to N400 but carried them with me to interview. The officer never bothered to look at them. Hope this helps.

Thanks a lot WouldBeCitizen for taking the time to share your experience on this topic. Your detailed info is very, very helpful.

Thanks again!

I had a car accident back in 2007 in South Carolina, that was my fault. I went to the court on the court date, but the other party didn't show up, so my case was dismissed by the judge.
My auto insurance covered my car damage and the other party's. Are there any document that I need to provide for N-400 or incoming interview? please advise. Thanks in advance.
** I currently live in Virginia **

I had a car accident back in 2007 in South Carolina, that was my fault. I went to the court on the court date, but the other party didn't show up, so my case was dismissed by the judge.
My auto insurance covered my car damage and the other party's. Are there any document that I need to provide for N-400 or incoming interview? please advise. Thanks in advance.
** I currently live in Virginia **
There's no requirement to disclose auto accidents. Only traffic citations must be disclosed.

There's no requirement to disclose auto accidents. Only traffic citations must be disclosed.
Thanks for the information. :eek:

I got an HOV traffic violation ticket in Virginia few months ago. I went to the court and paid the fund, the clerk gave me a paid receipt. Can I take that with me to the interview, or do I have to request some kind of special certified form or receipt? thanks again :)

I got an HOV traffic violation ticket in Virginia few months ago. I went to the court and paid the fund, the clerk gave me a paid receipt. Can I take that with me to the interview, or do I have to request some kind of special certified form or receipt? thanks again :)
Paid receipt is sufficient (but not required) in case IO asks.

As long as receit mention the orignal charge, date of the citation etc, then it is enough. Depends on local courts, somet receipt
do not have this information and the IO may not know for what you are fined for.