AC21 Employer letter how critical?

cnadella

I am in a situation where I have a full time offer from my current client who is a technology corporate and I wanted to use AC21 and take the offer. But today the employer who gave the offer said he is not going to give me the employment letter with the skills set in it.

1. The company's attorney strictly recommended no to voluntarily filing a AC21 but just simply start working with my EAD and later if USCIS sends a RFE or something he says it is worth replying to that rather than voluntarily doing it by doing which he believes will raise unnecessary inquires and he is saying we might get away without getting any in some cases.

2. Taking this advice from there attorney this new company's HR is saying it will not sign any paper that will support the AC21 process.

So my question is do I even have an option to join these company and do the AC21 just with the offer letter which only has my Job title which is Sr. Software Engineer which matches my approved LC title. or can I not really apply for AC21 without them giving me a letter which tells my title and skills and is addressed to USCIS.

Please help me with your valuable advice.

So my question is do I even have an option to join these company and do the AC21 just with the offer letter which only has my Job title which is Sr. Software Engineer which matches my approved LC title. or can I not really apply for AC21 without them giving me a letter which tells my title and skills and is addressed to USCIS.

You'll need SOME evidence of the new job. The offer letter should do - my AC21 letter didn't have job duties on it.

I am in a situation where I have a full time offer from my current client who is a technology corporate and I wanted to use AC21 and take the offer. But today the employer who gave the offer said he is not going to give me the employment letter with the skills set in it.

1. The company's attorney strictly recommended no to voluntarily filing a AC21 but just simply start working with my EAD and later if USCIS sends a RFE or something he says it is worth replying to that rather than voluntarily doing it by doing which he believes will raise unnecessary inquires and he is saying we might get away without getting any in some cases.

2. Taking this advice from there attorney this new company's HR is saying it will not sign any paper that will support the AC21 process.

Please help me with your valuable advice.

I think you're doing smart thing asking question before accepting offer. Most of the time company lawyers don't know about immigration stuff. A call from your lawyer to company lawyer most of the time fixes this.

If it makes any difference, just ask them give you a letter "To whom it may concern", instead of addressing to USCIS. This should not be a problem for them.

Another option would be sign a contract that would have job title, responsibilities, salary.

Or get a job offer that would have all of the above... and later on, if needed, this along with paystubs from the same company might be able to be enough.

Check with your lawyer about these options...

If your client/employer will not do any of the above, I would seriously look somewhere else. Even if you join them if you really have to, I would start looking for a new job right away. You have come so far... and don't want to give USCIS any excuse to deny your case... you how competent they are.. there is no logical argument with them...

You might get lucky and don't get any RFE...

Oh, BTW, I agree with your lawyer not to advise USCIS that you're invoking AC21.. do this when you get an RFE.

Good luck!

None of the mentioned options by m_img are possible with this new company. And the lawyer does not want to file or invoke a AC21 no but it seems he is totally open to file or response any RFE that come against my I485 case. So I am assuming all the options mentioned will be ok for the company if he does support me when I get a RFE. I guess they are working as a team and compelling me not to file a AC21 now and kind of trying to corner me to respond to RFEs later or otherwise give up the job offer if I insist on filing AC21 now cause they are not ready to support it.

I took the path of AC21 sucesfully- infact my lawyer advised me NOT to file anything and wait for RFE( if issues) . Infact there is no form or paper mentioned for AC21 to file unlike 485 or 140....

My opinion, You dont have to mention about AC21 when you join your client. After you join, like some say- all you need is a letter from employer stating that you work with following title in company xyz( similar to what u get for visa application).

None of the mentioned options by m_img are possible with this new company. And the lawyer does not want to file or invoke a AC21 no but it seems he is totally open to file or response any RFE that come against my I485 case. So I am assuming all the options mentioned will be ok for the company if he does support me when I get a RFE. I guess they are working as a team and compelling me not to file a AC21 now and kind of trying to corner me to respond to RFEs later or otherwise give up the job offer if I insist on filing AC21 now cause they are not ready to support it.

If I join a new employer without joining AC21, are there chances of my I485 getting denied instead of getting an RFE or NOID. Please advice how risky in the current immigration situation would it be and what are the chances of getting a direct denial if a AC21 is not filed.

Matthew Oh Attorney Reporting(www.immigration-law.com)
10/23/2008: Increasing Customer Reports of Denial of AC-21 Ported I-485 Applications Without NOID by USCIS Upon Petitioner's Withdrawal of Approved I-140 Petitions

USCIS Adjudicator Field Manual (AFM) Section 20.2(c) which incorporated the so-called AC-21 Memorandums released by Yates, Ayes, and Neufeld indicates that AC-21 ported I-485 must be denied if the petitioning employer withdraws the approved underlying I-140 petition if the alien ports before 180 days of I-485 filing, but if the employer withdraws the approved I-140 petition for the alien beneficiary who ports after 180 days of filing of I-485 application, such I-485 application should not be denied. The Memorandums and the AFM further provide that when the agency has no record of the ported alien's proactive report of AC-21 portability report in the file when the petitioner's withdrawal is received, the agency "must" issue Notice of Intent to Deny (NOID) pending I-485 applications rather than outright denial of I-485 applications.
At the outset, we must clarify one key point here. The memorandums and AFM are neither rules nor laws and have no legally binding force. No one will dispute on this point. However, the memorandums and AFM provide guidance and internal processing standards for the adjudicators, which the petitioners and the beneficiaries of petitions and applicants rely on as the guidance, policy, and practice of the agency. For these reasons, even though the menrandums and AFM are not legally binding, the adjudicators should adhere to the guidance to meet the expectation of the customers.
We have no detailed information on the reasons for reported denials of the ported I-485 applications. At this point, all we can discuss are the potential causes and reasons for denials.

Issue of Employer's Intent of Continuing Offer of Employment or Alien Employees' Retaining Continuing Intent to Work for the Petitioning Employer at the Time of Approval of I-140 Petitions: The Memorandums and AFM provide that "throughout" the process, the petitioning employer and the alien employee must retain this "intent" at least "at the time of approval of I-140 petitions." Employer's statement of withdrawal and accompanying materials may offer some evidence for the agency to reviisit the approved I-140 petition and revoke the approved I-140 petition on these issues. Such decision comes within the authority of the agency as inerpreted by the agency in the form of Memorandums and AFM. We cannot dispute with such decision.
Issue of Failure to Issue NOID Before Denial of I-485 Applications: As we discussed earlier, the alien beneficiary may rely on the Memorandums and AFM and expect to receive a NOID and an opportunity to provide the evidence that establish the eligibility for the portability. The problem is a narrow reading of NOID obligation for the agency under the Memorandums. Arguably, the Memorandums mandate the adjudicators to issue a NOID to collect the evidence of the beneficiary's porting and evidence of eligibility for the porting. However, the foregoing issue of "intent" of the employer and the employee for the petitioned employment appears to fall outside of the AC-21 portability rules. It is more or less the fundamental rule and law of the employment-based immigration petitions and applications.
Issue of Revocation of I-140 Petition for "Good Cause" By the Agency Rather
Than Employer's Withdrawal: It is clear that the agency cannot deny I-485 for revocation of the approved I-140 petition simply based on the employer's "withdrawal" of petition. However, the agency is authorized to revoke the approved I-140 petition based on "good cause" including frauds, misrepresentation, and belatedly detected facts that would have caused the adjucators to deny I-140 petitions, had the adjudicators have the information at the time of adjudication of I-140 petition. Again, if the agency denied I-485 applications on such grounds, it appears that the Memorandums and AFM do not mandate the agency to issue NOID before revocation of the petition and/or denial of accompanying I-485 applications.
The real concern involves a question as to whether or not recent denials of ported I-485 applications have been caused by the newly hired adjudicators who are still in training stage. If it turns out that it is a training issue, the USCIS should quickly come forward to correct such problems which unjustly cause the consumers expensive and time-consuming remedial action in the form of motion to reopen or motion to reconsider or even appeal.