AC 21 - BCIS Issues Memo in I-485 Portability

sash369

Registered Users (C)
http://www.fragomen.com/index2.html

US IMMIGRATION HEADLINES 08/11/2003 - BCIS Issues Memo on I-485 Portability

August 11, 2003 -- In a memorandum dated August 4, 2003, the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services has issued guidance on I-485 portability in the context of concurrent filing and Section 106(c) of the American Competitiveness in the Twenty-First Century Act of 200 (AC21).

The memo first summarizes BCIS's interpretation of AC21 § 106(c), stating that if a Form I-140 has been approved and the Form I-485 has been filed and remained unadjudicated for 180 days or more, the approved I-140 will remain valid even if the foreign national changes jobs or employers, as long as the new offer of employment is in the same or similar occupational classification. If the I-485 has been pending for less than 180 days, the approved I-140 does not remain valid with respect to a new offer of employment. The memorandum confirms that the I-140 must be approved for portability to be available.

The memorandum goes on to discuss the effect of revocation or withdrawal of an approved I-140 on a pending I-485. The guidance on this issue is as follows:

According to BCIS, if the employer withdraws the approved Form I-140 on or after the date that the Form I-485 has been pending 180 days, the approved I-140 remains valid under the provisions of Section 106(c) of AC21.
BCIS expects that a foreign national will have submitted evidence that his or her new offer of employment is in the same or similar occupational classification.
If the underlying Form I-140 has been withdrawn and the foreign national has not submitted evidence of a new qualifying offer of employment, the adjudicating officer must issue a Notice of Intent to Deny the pending Form I-485.
If the foreign national timely responds to the Notice with evidence of a qualifying job offer, the BCIS may consider the Form I-140 to remain valid with respect to that offer and regular processing of the I-485 may continue.
If the foreign national timely responds to the Notice but does not establish evidence of a qualifying job offer, the adjudicating officer "may" immediately deny the I-485.
If the foreign national fails to respond or timely respond to the Notice, the adjudicating officer "may" immediately deny the I-485.
If approval of the Form I-140 is revoked or the Form I-140 is withdrawn before the I-485 has been pending for 180 days, the approved I-140 is no longer valid with respect to the new officer of employment and the I-485 may be denied. Prior BCIS guidance indicates that revocations are retroactive to the date that withdrawal was requested by the employer; therefore it is possible that, though a revocation may be effected by BCIS after 180 days have elapsed, it will be deemed to have occurred prior to the 180-day mark if the employer requested withdrawal before that time.

The offer of employment must be in good faith and the employer must have had the intent, at the time the I-140 was approved, to employ the beneficiary upon adjustment. The memo goes on to note that there is no requirement that the beneficiary of the I-140 actually be in employment until permanent residence is authorized and that it is possible for a foreign national to qualify for the provisions of Section 106(c) even if he or she had never been employed by the prior petitioning employer or the subsequent employer.

it still does't say you must inform bcis regarding job change. It says you can inform that while u receive the notce of intend.

any views.

so best thing I would suggest. ONe should inform BCIS as soon as they send Job when using AC21. Just to be in safe side.
B'coz once you case comes up in hand GOD know when you would get next time.

It looks like after waiting for 180 days or more with an approved I140, your I485 would still be valid even if you have been unemployed after the 180 days mark.
The key is the "intention to the offer of employment and it must be made in Good faith" and the employer must have had the INTENT when the I140 petition was approved.
This could be a good news for folks who have gap between employments or those who do not have a job when their I485 comes up for final review/approval.

Please quote your thoughts. This subject is very interesting.

Is there any mention about Job Location.. in the new AC21 memo..

What do you guys think.. based on the new memo..
do you think the new job need to be in the same Geographical Location as the old one...

Is the Labor still valid if the employee moves
out of status, based on the I-140 interpretation..

Great News. This removes the 'sword' over our neck and also clarifies a lot of issues. I am greatly relieved that my currently employer can no longer take advantage after 180 days.

But it does not clarify about the 'Salary' although it does appear that if new offer of employment is in the same or similar occupational classification than that is what it should matter most and not the salary as long as the salary is above the prevailing wages/poverty level.........more clarity/interpretations needed.

Also whether it is mandatory to file AC-21 after job change ..etc is also not clear.

All said and done, at least ,we have a better picture than the previous regulations.

Guys - IMHO salary is not really an issue. The salary info in O-NET has a median and variance involved that varies from state to state. I think it is entirely feasible that employees will move up and down in that range in the 3-4 years it takes to adjucate a case. I think if your salary moves out of the 25-75 percentile range you might have to worry about it.
I think that is exactly why BCIS has not even dealt with salary in the memo - it is a non-issue.

BTW if you want to check where you are w.r.to new salary vs old salary then

use the DOT code from LC (lower right hand corner) and convert to O-NET code (http://online.onetcenter.org/crosswalk_search)
Then check the state specific salary and variances involved at http://online.onetcenter.org/

Now, if only my attorney could be taught a little statistics ....

Explain???

"The memo goes on to note that there is no requirement that the beneficiary of the I-140 actually be in employment until permanent residence is authorized and that it is possible for a foreign national to qualify for the provisions of Section 106(c) even if he or she had never been employed by the prior petitioning employer or the subsequent employer.
"

Originally posted by armie
"The memo goes on to note that there is no requirement that the beneficiary of the I-140 actually be in employment until permanent residence is authorized and that it is possible for a foreign national to qualify for the provisions of Section 106(c) even if he or she had never been employed by the prior petitioning employer or the subsequent employer.
"

Does that means only offer letter No Payslips?

laid off < 180day?

How about laid off before 180 days? got a same job, I485 has been pending more than 180 days. Does the approved I-140 remain valid if the previous employer did not revoke it?

still chance for Green card?

Last edited by a moderator:
What about Job Chnages < 180 days Lay-off or otherwise. (after 180 days of RD)

What would you interepret about Job Changes < 180 days Lay-off or otherwise. (after 180 days of RD).

My I-485 has been pending almost 20 months. Need to face an interview, do not when that would be?

But i have changed job < 180 days from RD when having no option.

thanks
maald

Re: laid off < 180day?

Originally posted by JaneI485
How about laid off before 180 days? got a same job, I485 has been pending more than 180 days. Does the approved I-140 remain valid if the previous employer did not revoke it?

still chance for Green card?

JaneI485 - Judging by the language, it seems like one is okay if job lost < 180 days and if INS was not notified by 180 days. Good news is that a late notification is useless as far as INS is concerned.

Maald - looks like the memo will help in your interview, if the I-140 remained approved for 180 days then you have a clear cut case. Good Luck and keep us posted.

The memo goes on to note that there is no requirement that the beneficiary of the I-140 actually be in employment until permanent residence is authorized and that it is possible for a foreign national to qualify for the provisions of Section 106(c) even if he or she had never been employed by the prior petitioning employer or the subsequent employer.

The best news is that you do not need a current job at the time of RFE. All BCIS is aking for is "new offer of employment is in the same or similar occupational classification" for a future job upon approval of GC.
In short you can remain jobless till I-485 is approved, not after.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi

I am wondering if I can employed myself since there is no mention whom I can work for in "same or similar job" and salary for that matter after 180 days of I-485 filing.

Any ideas ?

Thanks

haibo

Any comments from Rajiv Khanna?

Any comments from Rajiv Khanna/Sheela Murthy on this Memo?

Do these guidelines apply to separate I-140 and I-485 filing? ..should be...