A LUD a day......

cit100 said:
You do not currently hold a visa. You have been admitted to the US as an applicant for adjustment and your current status is "paroled into the US pending adjustment of status to permanent resident" or just "paroled." If you look at your I-94 card, it will have a red parole stamp on it, not the normal red and blue admission stamp.

You are applying for permanent residence. Since it's through adjustment of status, and not consular processing, there is no visa stamp in your passport involved. The green card is an immigrant visa.

People often get confused between visas and status. You can be in the US without a valid visa, but you (generally) can't be in the US legally without status. I say generally because there are grey areas that fall under the "period of stay authorized by the attorney general" rule. Typically this is when a USCIS application was filed while you were in status, but that status has now expired due to the length of time the USCIS took to process the application.

The date of expiration of status is given by the date written on the I-94 card by the CPB officer who admitted you.

Hey cit100,

If I'm not mistaken, I remember you leaving the country before your interview and re-entering under H1B.
What happened at the interview? Did the officer say anything about a different I-94 (different than the one you submitted with the application)?
Thanks

sarrebal said:
Hey cit100,
If I'm not mistaken, I remember you leaving the country before your interview and re-entering under H1B.
What happened at the interview? Did the officer say anything about a different I-94 (different than the one you submitted with the application)?
Thanks

In fact I had 3 new I-94's since the one I sent with my application. After filing, I left the US and was issued a new I-94 by a CBP officer when I reentered using my H1-B. Then I left the country again and re-entered using my AP (my H1-B had expired). Then I was sent a new H1-B I-94 by USCIS, which arrived after I entered on AP, but before the interview (My employer had filed a H1-B extension for me independent of my AOS application.)

At the interview, the adudication officer took the white I-94 stamped with AP from my passport. He asked me how long I'd been out of the country (5 days) but didn't seem to care that it was a different I-94 than the one submitted with my application. I then offered him the I-94 that was attached to the bottom of the I-797 for my H1-B extension. He said he didn't need this, but would take it if I had a copy for my personal records. I did, so I gave it to him.

I think as long as they have copies of the I-94 which proves you were in status when you filed your application, and haven't left the country for too long while pending, you'll be fine. Of course, this probably depends alot on your adjudicating officer. Good luck!

cit100 said:
In fact I had 3 new I-94's since the one I sent with my application. After filing, I left the US and was issued a new I-94 by a CBP officer when I reentered using my H1-B. Then I left the country again and re-entered using my AP (my H1-B had expired). Then I was sent a new H1-B I-94 by USCIS, which arrived after I entered on AP, but before the interview (My employer had filed a H1-B extension for me independent of my AOS application.)

At the interview, the adudication officer took the white I-94 stamped with AP from my passport. He asked me how long I'd been out of the country (5 days) but didn't seem to care that it was a different I-94 than the one submitted with my application. I then offered him the I-94 that was attached to the bottom of the I-797 for my H1-B extension. He said he didn't need this, but would take it if I had a copy for my personal records. I did, so I gave it to him.

I think as long as they have copies of the I-94 which proves you were in status when you filed your application, and haven't left the country for too long while pending, you'll be fine. Of course, this probably depends alot on your adjudicating officer. Good luck!

Ok. Always been in status. I left the country on Labor's Day (6 days) and used my H-1B to re-enter. I didn't apply for AP and I'm still under H-1B status, even though I might change job in 2 or 3 weeks and use my EAD (hopefully the ADIT stamp if after interview).
Just a curiosity, I know it's perfectly legal to travel if you hold a H or L visa while AOS pending and still under visa status.

Hey Cit100,

Thanks for the info. As you were saying, I think I got confused with the difference between status and visa. I called the University which I'm applying to and they told me to just select "AR1" visa (is that a green card?) for the "visa applying for" box and include my alien number, along with a photocopy of my I-485 notice of action. They said that would be sufficient.

LizzieDP said:
Thanks for the info. As you were saying, I think I got confused with the difference between status and visa. I called the University which I'm applying to and they told me to just select "AR1" visa (is that a green card?) for the "visa applying for" box and include my alien number, along with a photocopy of my I-485 notice of action. They said that would be sufficient.

The green card is USCIS form I-551. I expect AR1 is just the schools code for someone in your status.

No LUD

Hi Friends,

We filed concurently under schedule A for me and my spouse together, I am the primary applicant and my spouse is dependant applicant. When I see my spouse case status online (I 765) it says like,

"On October 13, 2006, after approving your application, we ordered you a new card. Your card will be mailed to you as soon as it is ready."

Nothing changed in my status. No LUD in my case. How could it happen? They should see my case first, since I am the primary applicant. Is n't it?

Please give your inputs..Thanks in Advance..

Ravinka

Ravinka said:
Hi Friends,

We filed concurently under schedule A for me and my spouse together, I am the primary applicant and my spouse is dependant applicant. When I see my spouse case status online (I 765) it says like,

"On October 13, 2006, after approving your application, we ordered you a new card. Your card will be mailed to you as soon as it is ready."

Nothing changed in my status. No LUD in my case. How could it happen? They should see my case first, since I am the primary applicant. Is n't it?

Please give your inputs..Thanks in Advance..

Ravinka

Your husband's work permit has been approved. He will receive his EAD card soon.
Your petition and his Adjustment of Status application will be reviewed and eventually approved at the interview.

Thanks Sarrebal..

One of my friends he filed concurrently, same like me on sep 20 2006. I filed on sep 15. But he got his EAD last week itself. Why this difference? I think he filed to TSC, not sure. But My case was sent to NSC. Then transfered to TSC.

Thanks,
Ravinka

Addie_Goodvibes said:
Sarrebel-
Hows it going, I know your interview is coming up soon, I wanted to wish you luck!

Addie-

Everything is good.
We're going to my in-laws this weekend to get some paperwork, original stuff of which copies we sent with application, updated letter of employment from father-in-law, last paystubs, wedding pics that mother-in-law keeps, original tax returns that we filed.
We practiced yesterday for a few minutes. My wife refuses to sit down and study (she's in law school and she has enough to sit down with and study) but when I asked to answer "how we met" she spoke for like 10 minutes straight.
I was about to send out my CPA licensure application today and I was tempted to write "LPR" as immigration status, but I think I'm holding on for another week.
If approved, I'm gonna try hard to get my passport stamped on the spot since I'm job-hunting, EAD will be taken away and we're traveling on Thanksgiving.

My wifes EAD card was NOT taken away, you do not have to bring it with you to the interview. She wants to keep hers to put in a scrap book, after she receives GC, besides we PAID for the EAD and received it only 6 days prior to interview, We were not about to let them take it, we made no mention of receiving it and were not asked about it.

Also don't worry about "practicing" Your relationship is legit, you dont want to sound rehersed or practice reponses. Just relax and let the interview flow.

You will do fine.

Good luck.

Addie, Ako, & Airilei

Addie_Goodvibes said:
My wifes EAD card was NOT taken away, you do not have to bring it with you to the interview. She wants to keep hers to put in a scrap book, after she receives GC, besides we PAID for the EAD and received it only 6 days prior to interview, We were not about to let them take it, we made no mention of receiving it and were not asked about it.

Also don't worry about "practicing" Your relationship is legit, you dont want to sound rehersed or practice reponses. Just relax and let the interview flow.

You will do fine.

Good luck.

Addie, Ako, & Airilei

We're not practising. My wife had to go through immigration when she was a child and later when she was a teenager to become a USC. She knows the process and we have nothing to hide. If she doesn't remember my parents' date of births, I'm sure she'll make it up (and we have plenty of stuff).

candyattitude said:
i just got lud's too (on the 3rd) on my I-485 and I-130. my last lud for both of them was june 26!! (a loooong time ago). i don't know anything abt my namecheck. don't know what its all abt.

Hey,

How was your interview today at Fed Plaza?

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks addie,

yeah we had the interview today. we used assets b/c my husband is not working right now b/c he is studying in china, and although it was way above what they are asking for, she said she will get back to me on that.
the interview was really really nice. the officer was extremely friendly. first she just said where did you get married, who was your witness, do you have any photos, then i showed her this scrapbook i had done about all the things we've done over the years, and after that she was just so relaxed and friendly. she just said do you have this paper, and this paper.....and then she was talking abt some discovery channel documentary about china, and asked my husband to say something in chinese.
it was really fast, in the end she said everything is good but she'll get back to me on the assets. so i said "so that's the only problem" and she was like "it's not a problem, just a question'. what sucks is that she said i'll get a decision in 3 to 6 months. i asked her abt getting an AP b/c i wanted to go to china in dec to visit, but she said not to leave until i get this done and that they do send the letter earlier than 3 months (she said this like twice). basically there was no pressure, not much questions asked, more like a general conversation.
i couldn't have asked for a better interview!!! the only thing is that i have to wait for the decision. she said she was going to talk to her supervisor and would call if she thinks i need to get a joint sponsor, otherwise i'll just have to wait for the decision letter. well i'm really happy this stress is over. i got a lot of ideas from this forum, especially how to organize the documents and i'm sure that the officer was impressed. afterall less work for them!

does anyone have the same experience with me? whenever my i check for the status of my case online it doesn't say anything except that my case has been received. and now i got my interview notice... im wondering when m ead would come...

camster said:
does anyone have the same experience with me? whenever my i check for the status of my case online it doesn't say anything except that my case has been received. and now i got my interview notice... im wondering when m ead would come...

Even though i had my EAD mine didn't get updated either! if you search you'll find quite a few ppl had same issue. USCIS is very inconsistant on this i believe. I just hope that you get your namecheck on time bcos it seems to be the most helpless issue to deal with!

Still Waiting... Anyone for ideas... Please

Hi guys..
Married to USC over 20 years ago. I was working in Canada, didn't need green card. Decided to work in the US.
Filed in Boston:
05/09/2006 Receipt Notice I485, I130, I765
08/01/2006 FP done
09/28/2006 Request for income tax & W2 (another copy!!)
10/12/2006 Case Status Changed acknowledging receipt.
Case Still pending and cannot get an Interim EAD as the Boston SC doesn't issue them anymore (effective 09/01/2006).
Any Ideas?

candyattitude said:
thanks addie,

yeah we had the interview today. we used assets b/c my husband is not working right now b/c he is studying in china, and although it was way above what they are asking for, she said she will get back to me on that.
the interview was really really nice. the officer was extremely friendly. first she just said where did you get married, who was your witness, do you have any photos, then i showed her this scrapbook i had done about all the things we've done over the years, and after that she was just so relaxed and friendly. she just said do you have this paper, and this paper.....and then she was talking abt some discovery channel documentary about china, and asked my husband to say something in chinese.
it was really fast, in the end she said everything is good but she'll get back to me on the assets. so i said "so that's the only problem" and she was like "it's not a problem, just a question'. what sucks is that she said i'll get a decision in 3 to 6 months. i asked her abt getting an AP b/c i wanted to go to china in dec to visit, but she said not to leave until i get this done and that they do send the letter earlier than 3 months (she said this like twice). basically there was no pressure, not much questions asked, more like a general conversation.
i couldn't have asked for a better interview!!! the only thing is that i have to wait for the decision. she said she was going to talk to her supervisor and would call if she thinks i need to get a joint sponsor, otherwise i'll just have to wait for the decision letter. well i'm really happy this stress is over. i got a lot of ideas from this forum, especially how to organize the documents and i'm sure that the officer was impressed. afterall less work for them!

Usually the approval comes the same day or the day after, but keep us posted!

Hello Candyattitude!

Hello Candyattitude,

Please help me learn again about your experience with the immigration officer. Were you saying that your husband is in China as a full time student now?
How do you convince the interviewer that you guys are living separately?

Please advise.

I am having the same situation as you too. My husband (USC) is a full time student in Chicago. My DO in Chicago. Recently I got a job in NY as a sales rep. My territory includes chicago which mean I will do frequent visit to him too.
How to convince my interviewer about this? My interview is next month.

Thanks.

Jessica