A logical question, asylee status

Raziel

Registered Users (C)
Are Asylees "after granted final approval" considered Permanent Residents?

one of the reasons that I'm asking for is joining the army, they say must be Permanent Resident or citizen.

but I guess asylees are Permanent Residents, GC is backdated 1 year for this reason, right?

As far as i know they changed the rules recently, you maybe able to join without being a permanent resident.
I saw a thread here somewhere about that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Army job is one of my reasons to ask but there are other jobs ask the same question and there are other reasons made me ask here, so are asylees permanent resident?

Rules have been changed, and Thankful illustrated that here http://forums.immigration.com/showthread.php?t=289853&highlight=military

I contacted the army and they say "US citizen, or GC holder" like they don't have any other thing to say :mad:

after calling many times and emailing the pdf file found in Thankful thread, they answered:
"Military Accessions Vital to the National Interest (MAVNI) program is new and it's still being worked out. It is anticipated that the Army will establish the full Policy and announce the implementation date in the very near future"

without being a permanent resident.
but asylees might be permanent residents :confused: GC is backdated 1 year for a reason

My friend, you are asking this question in the nick of time. Tomorrow's New York Times will have a major story about this program. I invite your attention to http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/15/us/15immig.html?_r=1&hp.

Remember you must have the required language skills or medical background to be considered.

The carrot is so attractive: immediate citizenship.

A more formal announcement from the government is forthcoming.

Still beside the militarry thing, no one told me, are asylee permanent residents specially that GC is backdated :D:D:D:D

good luck with the application to join and thank you in advance for your willingness to serve. :D

Thank you Thankful, you are very encouraging and supportive
what is my next step? do I send them the NY Times article by email?

Last edited by a moderator:
Then why the GC is backdated 1 year?

The confusing part is that... Asylees are eligible for GC after 1 year after asylum approval, but GC is backdated 1 year, so logically, asylees are permanent residents after asylum approval

The short answer to your Q. is NO

I don't want to be a wise guy, but if the answer is "no", then are asylees temporary residents?