• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

A few DV-2010 questions

Katching

Registered Users (C)
Ohai guys, I have a few questions regarding the NL and such.
I didn't really find a complete guide that answered the following questions so here goes:

1) I am British, my spouse is French, and I have a son that won't be 21 until Dec. 2010. Given that my spouse just received her NL in the mail today, can my son and I also have green cards via her application?

2) The cover letter says that every person needs to have a "230 Part I & II" form, yet only one was included in the NL. Am I suppose to print/photocopy 2 more versions (for me and my son), and fill them in with "our point-of-view" so to speak, therefore sending in a total of 3 versions of the form "230 Part I & II"?

Thanks in advance for your answers guys. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
1) I am British, my spouse is French, and I have a son that won't be 21 until Dec. 2010. Given that my spouse just received her NL in the mail today, can my son and I also have green cards via her application?
- Yes, if your son doesn't turn to 21 until December 2010.
2) The cover letter says that every person needs to have a "230 Part I & II" form, yet only one was included in the NL. Am I suppose to print/photocopy 2 more versions (for me and my son), and fill them in with "our point-of-view" so to speak, therefore sending in a total of 3 versions of the form "230 Part I & II"?
- You need to complete form ds-230 part I, part II for yourself, wife and your son.
Only your wife (principle applicant) need to fill dsp-122.

Again, thanks for the answers. ;)

- You need to complete form ds-230 part I, part II for yourself, wife and your son.
Only your wife (principle applicant) need to fill dsp-122.

So does that mean we have to fill three times the ds-230 forms?

Also it looks like I didn't get the DS-2001 form and as far as I can see each DS-2001 is dependant on your national american embassy. How do I obtain the form?

Congratulations..

What's her case number?

Thanks. :D
My case number is: 2010EU00007XXX

Again, thanks for the answers. ;)

So does that mean we have to fill three times the ds-230 forms?

Also it looks like I didn't get the DS-2001 form and as far as I can see each DS-2001 is dependant on your national american embassy. How do I obtain the form?

Thanks. :D
My case number is: 2010EU00007XXX

What is form DS-2001? Haven't heard about it before!

can my son and I also have green cards via her application?
Yes, and I hope she had include him in her e-DV application.

The only forms that are needed are as already mentioned DS-230 (one for each of you) and the DS-122 (only for your spouse).

Yes, and I hope she had include him in her e-DV application.

Yes she did. :p

And I'm indeed talking about a mysterious DS-2001 form (aka "Applicant readiness for interview"), which seems to look like this (only this is not the French one):
hxxp://embaixada-americana.org.br/evrybody/ds-2001e.pdf

Basically the ambassy in France sent me inside the package another page with list of steps to do (as well as adresses for doctors) that kinda contradict the American one (basically send the stuff to the Paris embassy instead of KCC):
Step One, fill the DS-230 Part 1 for the 3 people (strangely, no mention of Part 2 nor DS-122), then mail it to the American embassy in Paris,
Step Two, get a bunch of documents to prepare for the future interview (brith certificate, etc.)
Step Three, once, and only once, I get said documents, I mail the embassy thIS DS-2001 document. The document is basically a sworn statement saying:
I attest that I have all of the documents specified in the Instructions for Immigrant Visa Applicants which are applicable in my case, and I am prepared for immigrant visa interview.

I think what I'm gonna do is hand-in myself the DS-230 to the Paris US Embassy and ask for a DS-2001 form.

If I may, I also have a few other questions. :D

3) I know that you have to go to the US in the 6 months you get issued the GC, but is there some kind of time limit that you have to spend inside the US before getting out? Is there also a time limit of how long you can spend outside the US before you GC becomes void?

4) In the DS-230 you have to give a "Permanent address in the United States where you intend to live, if known (street address including ZIP code). Include the name of a person who currently lives there." If not known, should you leave this blank? Or is it better to give a friend's adress (the same basically as where the GC will be sent to)? Also, assuming you give your friend's adress, will you have to live there once you get to the US?

5) Regarding the interview, given that all three of us will be interviewed, will the interviews be at separate dates? Or will it all be on the same day?

Thanks again in advance for your answers. :D

3) I know that you have to go to the US in the 6 months you get issued the GC, but is there some kind of time limit that you have to spend inside the US before getting out? Is there also a time limit of how long you can spend outside the US before you GC becomes void?
- Up to one year
4) In the DS-230 you have to give a "Permanent address in the United States where you intend to live, if known (street address including ZIP code). Include the name of a person who currently lives there." If not known, should you leave this blank? Or is it better to give a friend's adress (the same basically as where the GC will be sent to)? Also, assuming you give your friend's adress, will you have to live there once you get to the US?
- Not affect your application at all. If you are not sure just put N/A. You possibly stay elsewhere that you want.
5) Regarding the interview, given that all three of us will be interviewed, will the interviews be at separate dates? Or will it all be on the same day?
- All of you will be interviewed at the same date.

Are the 3 GCs independant? Meaning if one were to get void, would the others be affected?

Once you've entered the US as a green card holder, each of you is on their own. If one of you loses their gc after that, the rest are not affected.

*But* if your wife doesn't/can't get a green card in the first place, you all lose.

Yeah that's what I thought, thanks for your answer.

Do you guys know if I should send to both the KCC and the French US Embassy the various forms (specifically the DS-230)?
Like I said above, a specific French packet was also inside the NL saying like:
Congratulations! Your initial visa applications processing at U.S. Embassy, Paris has been completed. Please follow the instructions below to continue your application process.
[...]
Step One: Complete form DS-230 Part I for each visa applicant and return the completed forms to our office by mail

I also received the DV-2010 letter from KCC saying like to fill the DS-230 (both parts) and the DS-122, and send this with photos to the KCC.

Now I'm unsure of what to do. If I should send to both "centers" the forms (given that I'll have to print other DS-230 forms), only the French US Embassy or only the KCC.

Your case is different from others. You should inquiry to U.S Embassy in Paris for sure. I have no idea on this case.
Thank

In general, all winners who outside the U.S must send back completed form ds-230 I, II and dsp-122, 1 photo to KCC for processing.

Congratulations! Your initial visa applications processing at U.S. Embassy, Paris has been completed. Please follow the instructions below to continue your application process.
[...]
Step One: Complete form DS-230 Part I for each visa applicant and return the completed forms to our office by mail

I wonder about this, never heard about that. Are you sure the letter is genuine?

Normally the Embassy has nothing to do with a case until a CN is current and KCC scheduled the interview and send them all papers.

I would call KCC.

I wonder about this, never heard about that. Are you sure the letter is genuine?

It seems genuine, albeit a "generic" packet sent to all French future-US immigrants applying for a visa.

Normally the Embassy has nothing to do with a case until a CN is current and KCC scheduled the interview and send them all papers.

It realy seems here that it's the French US Embassy that is scheduling the interview et. al.
Basically it's like "first send in the first part of the DS-230, then gather the docs, send us the DS-2001 stating that you have all said docs, then we'll send you a time for your interview so you can schedule to see one of the doctors listed here".

I'm gonna call both (KCC and US Embassy) to see what's up.

Are any former French DV winners around by any chance?

Guys i thought the time a green card holder can stay outside USA is 6 months maximum. Has this changed to 1 year recently?

yeah,
- travel outside U.S for less than 6 months = safe
- 6 months to 1 year, you may apply readmission by showing your green card at the port of entry

There aren't enough rows in my DS-230 form to put down all the info for questions 30 and 35.
I will therefore have to add an addendum, but what should I put in this extra-page?
Does anyone have like a template for said addendum?
Or should I just put like
DS-230 Addendum to Application of [My Name]
Case Number
Question 30/Question 34

What do you guys think?

I should point out that I am not the petitioner in this case so I don't know if I should as well put down the name of the petitioner.