A Collegaue welcoms you from Turkey.

Leyla Arkan

Registered Users (C)
Hi, Friends,
I am a pharmacist from Turkey who is now living in Chicago, USA. I want to work here as pharmacist and trying to find out how.
I called NABP and got some information as the test system is changed and now it is computerised. The good news is we don`t have to wait for a whole year to get into this FPGEE exam but the bad news is, the computerized tests are always harder than the written ones. E.G.; the written tests are all same to all examinees but with computers , it asks you question according to your peprfomance the more you answer correctly, the harder it gets. As it is in GMAT nad GRE. Well, god bless all of us. I guess we need help. The books I may suggest as many of you did is ; 1-Compherensive pharmacy review (AMAZON, ECAMPUS(Actually prices are cheaper in ecampus and you don`t pay shipping fee))
2- Comphrensive pharmacy review practice exams, 3- FPGEE examination review by Rudman, 4- Pharmacology byr GOODMAN
5- Pharmacy review by APPlet.

I have a question many of you wrote about internships at pharmacy. I live here and I am on H-4. And without passing this FPGEE exam can I apply to pharmacies for intern if let`s say they get H-1 for me. Is it a must to do intern before and after I entre FPGEE or does it depend to state board of pharmacy? And also is there anyone out there who entered this exam before , I `d like to chat or talk with him/her.

Thanks,
LEYLA

No Title

Dear Thomas,

I really don`t know , too. As I learned that sometimes pharmacies take your H-1 visa wehn you ar an intern, too.
And also what details you want?

Thanks,
Leyla

No Title

My wife cleared her NABP last Dec, we tried in some local pharmacy for intership, but they did not respond back, she also is on H4.
Most of them seem reluctant to process H1 or take interns for no salary, as per them they still need to have Insurance coverage, paper work etc, so cannot take anyone even on voluntary basis.

For her exam she used Comprehesive Pharmacy review by Leon Shargill and Rudmans FPGEE Q\' set. But she says there were a quite a bit of Q\'s on US HealthCare Orgainizations(HMO) ie how they work, setup and their role and on US Medicaid and Medicare, which are not covered in any book.

If anyone has more info on how to go about internship, please post it on this board

Thanks

dmd99.

No Title

Could anyone tell me any success case that a H-1 visa has been issued
to a pharmacy intern(after pass the FPGEE) in any pharmacies?
Thank you,

Leewa

No Title

Dear dmd99,
First of all can you give me some information in which state you are living? As I heard from some Indian Pharmacist friends most of them got H-1 for their pharmacy internships. If you could tell me which state then I can help you accordingly.
I have a question to your wife. You wrote that she passed the FPGEE exam. I am so confused about it. Did she just studied the books you have just specified or were there additional books she studied? If you could write about her exam experiences and preparetion experiences, I will be more pleased.

Thanks,
Leyla

No Title

Dear Leewa,

As to my knowledge most of the states don`t require FPGEE certification to start for internship. You don`t have to pass before you start doing your internship. And also most of the pharmacies, because they have to have a number of intern at their pharmacies, offer H-1 to foreign pharmacist intern candidates. I would suggest to go for the pharmacies and talk them face to face. Most pharmacist even some people found thier internships though online job resources at their own countires. I`ve talked with the state board at differnet states they also give you a list of pharmacies around the place you are. So don`t give up just contunie looking for it.

Hope to hear good news,
Leyla

No Title

We are in Texas. If you have any info about internships/pharmacies in Texas it will be great. She just studied the 2 books as she did not have much time, and she came to know about her acceptance only in Sept. I don\'t know how much of her Degree knowledge helped her.
If any specific info is required do let me know. But she said the last section was diff for her as these books did not cover that like US healthcare, acc, business, US Pharmacy related etc.

Regards
dmd99

No Title

Dear dmd99,
Thanks for the info a lot. I will be checking about Texas regualtions right away and will inform you.
Regards,
Leyla

No Title

Dear dmd99,
I just found detailed information about Texas Board of Pharmacy`s internship program. Probably you already have that as a booklet or you have seen it on the net but if you need this file I attached it here. But if you can`t get it from , here please e-mail me from mtandag@hotmail.com. That`s fine. Now I have two questions to you:
Your wife already passed FPGEE and she is ready to start her intersnhip as I understnad she has to do extended internship and then 1500 internships. Did you go to the big pharmacies or the pharmacies at the grocery stores as I knowmany of them accept people as volunteers and for the insurance thing, I assume that she has insurance from you that shouldn`t be problem as I am on H-4 right now, and my insurance is from my husband.And if you are not sure if you will contunie to live at Texas after your green card will be issued , check for the neighbouring state board of pharmacy. Like I will do all my intersnhip and practices in INDIANA which is around 2 hour by driving from Illinois. As they take H-1 easily. Many people take their chances in this way. Like in Maryland they don`t even ask for FPGEE as an information from a friend on this board.
The other thing you would try is if you can`t find anything just in case send her to any school that she can improve herself for nine months and let her take the practical training. Though our green card will be approved next year around september to make myself safe , I will be taking some clases as an international student. The only thing youshould do is change her status to F-1 visa. It saves her time. After she gets her practical training she can work as an intern smoothly . She may go to a certificate program may be for nine months. ONLY NOT TO ENGLISH AS A SECOND LANGUAGE PROGRAM , this program does not count for obtaining practical training. The attached file can be wieved by quick view , i am just letting you know as I had hard times to open it.
 I am sure there is an information center at Texas state of pharmacy they seem to be very organised as they even have job openings sections on their web site. There is generally a book that may be purchased from Board that has the listing for pharmacies around the place you are living.

Regards,
Leyla

No Title

Thanks for the info. I will dig around a bit and see how things proceeed. As regards the insurance,its not our medical, its the liability insurance they need to have for the person ( In case pharmacy is sued) that they worry about in case of a volunteer.

Dmd99

No Title

Today, I went to University of Ilinois , College of Pharmacy and talked with the professor. She is the director of gradute studies and so on. What she suggets for foreign pharmacist students is to contunie their education for Pharm D. AS she says USA College of pharmacies stopped students for Bachelor`s science in pharmacy but will contunie for pharm d. She says working in a retail pharmacy will die soon as there is a demand right now. In my sutiation things are getting confused as because Illinois don`t even accept mmy 4 years bachelor degree. Thats one of the reasons why I am digging next states out.
In order to get Pharm D., Pharmacy schools accepts students from all over the world to complete their studieis for Pharm D.It takes about 2 years but at the end you may either work as a retail pharmacist or a clinical pharmacist. She says Pharm D. graduates begin their first jobs with 70 K per year which sounds good and also she says many foreign pharmacist in this situation get their green card in a year as with the RIR application. Things are confused I know but she I guess tried to show me anothe pathway to reach my goal which is to work as an acceppted pharmacist in this country.
That`s interseting though about this volunteer case, as they accept even for physicians as a volunteer. As to my searches, Dominick`s which is big grocery store accepts pharmacist volunteers in this state.

Regards,
Leyla

No Title

Dear Leyla, thank you for the encouragement and info. I need
more solid info regarding this. I don\'t have a work permit right
now. I wonder if there is any nation wide pharmacy or regional
pharmacy would apply a H-1 for me before I even start working
as a intern? Although pass the FPGEE is not a big problem for
me and I had master degree from the States too.
Your advice is also appreciated very much.

Nick

No Title

Dear Nick,

I don`t know at which state you are locating at. And also I din`t understand did you already pass FPGEE and if you have a MASTER`S Degree in science why do you want as a reatil pharmacist. I believe there are lots of industrial options that will want to hire you. So could you give some info about your current situation.

Leyla

No Title

Leyla, I am in St. Louis, Missouri. I had a MS degree in
Pharmacology. During the process of my PT application, I made
a mistake and wasted a couple of month time. Then when I tried
to apply for H-1 for job, it was too late. I haven\'t taken EXAM yet
and thought it would be better off to be retailer pharmacist then to
do things I am really not fond of (i mean research). Also, I
wonder if I would have a better chance of getting a H-1 ! by doing
that?
Your suggestion on the Pharmacist issue is always
appreciated.
NL

No Title

Dear Leeway,

The reason I told you to go for the pharmaceutical industry was, actually the idea that they put in my mind by the profs. at Uni.of Il., Chicago. They even asked me to apply for the Master`s program over there. But I know and the agreed that retail pharmacist is much more easier and you earn a lot. If I were youuu I would definitely gor for the FPGEEE exam, then. From NAPB you can ask for an application form. Then buy some books to get prepared for this exam. I don`t know how the system is in Missouri so pls. check with your state board of Pharmcy. Now that you have MS from here in pharmacology, you will be safe with pharmacology questions.
Now that you have MS from here, it would be easier for you to go to your state board of pharmacy and ask for the intern permit, according to that you may easily find a pharmacy anda preceptor( THE PHARMACIST) to sign your papres and get you H-1 and also the intern permit. If you need to do internship in Missouri of course. In Indiana I met a lot of Indian pharmacist who got their H-1 by this way. I even found an internship with the H-1 promise in Indiana. But to feel secure and finsh my MBA on the other hand. I first want to pass FPGEE exam, which I started stduying. I din`t send my papers to NAPB , yet but I have the application and I will be sending it to them this week. On the other hand it is good that we don`t have to wait for a whloe year to enter this exam as we can enter it after approved every 5-6 times a week after November. So we are luckier than the previous examinees. I would suggest you to buy Morris Assc. `s booklet which I bought and they sent me yesterday. They have 18 books appr. 600 pages in total. They have %98 success in this examniation and they assist you in everything, anytime for a year.. I analysed the books and I believe if I finished studying all of them in the appropiate way, there will be no problemm passing the exam and even the NAPLEX because the subjects are same.
If you need detailed information pls. e-mail me at mtandag@hotmail.com. Sometimes it is easier to reply messages by e-mail.

I believe you will be succesful and as a retailed phramcist you are luckier than all of us here as you have MS.
I am just doing my MBA to obtain my practical training in case there may be any bad luck getting an H-1. And also as you would know once you get your H-1 , pharmacist and physicians get their green card much more quicker than anyone as they don`t apply for labor certifictae but directly t oo green card which takes about a year.

One last thing I may tell you is taht , I am determined and I really believe that you will have no problem getting your H-1 from a pharmaceutical industry with a MS in pharmacaology so it seems that you have something in guarenttee in your hand. But don`t lose your chance for the FPGEE, too. That`s a right of you and you should give it a try.

Best of luck and god bless you,
Leyla

No Title

Folks

Just for all of you who live in Chicago and are Pharmacists from Foreign School:

The Illinois borad of Pharmacy will not give you license to practice Pharmacy in the state of Illinois, unless your school has been recognized by them. It does not matter if you have passed the FPGEE or not.

No Title

Dear Mark thanks for the note. That`s why I am having hard time here in Illinois. Because of these 4 year issue they told me they won`t accept me....Unfortunately, I heard the same thing. But I found a way to get licensed from another state and then finish my pharm d. here and get the opportunity to get license from Illinois. I really don`t know.
Anyway, if you kknow any information please inform all of us..

I have to run because my hubby is calling ,
Thanks bye,
Leyla

No Title

Hi,
  I really got relief when I saw this discussion about pharmacy.I live in masschusets state & I\'m taking FPGEE in this November. I\'m planning to apply for H 1 for inturn after the exam.I don\'t know whether they will issue H 1 in MA state & I don\'t know whether I\'ll be late for geting H 1 for this year because I heard that h1s are over for 2000 year.If anyone have any idea about this or any other way that I can start my inturn after my exam I really appreciate it.
   thanks
   Madhu.