5-Years or 3-Years

ravian

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I was married in May 2008 - and, my wife is a U.S. Citizen.

And, I received my Green Card (employment based) in June 2008.

Do I have to wait 5 years for citizenship application, since my GC is employment based?

OR

I can apply 3 years after GC approval, since I will be married to US Citizen for 3 years after receiving my GC?

Please advise. Appreciate your kind help.

Thanks.

No, you don't have to wait 5 years. You can apply up to 90 days before you have 3 year of continuous residence as a LPR , provided you have been married to USC for for 3 years. In your case, that would mean May 2011, your wedding anniversary date.

You can apply as early as May 2011 as you will be married to a USC for 3 years and you will have your green card for 3 years - 90 days window.
Also, your wife must have been a USC since the day you got married.

Hi,

I was married in May 2008 - and, my wife is a U.S. Citizen.

And, I received my Green Card (employment based) in June 2008.

Do I have to wait 5 years for citizenship application, since my GC is employment based?

OR

I can apply 3 years after GC approval, since I will be married to US Citizen for 3 years after receiving my GC?

Please advise. Appreciate your kind help.

Thanks.

You can do both. for 3 years more documents may be required. You
should always try to file tax return jointly, try to create as many joint accounts as possible and keep bsuch bank statements etc

Bobsmyth: Thanks much for info. Appreciated.

sarrebal: Thank you for your response. Yes, she has been Citizen many years before marriage.

WBH: Sure thing, we already do. Thanks much for your suggestion as well.

Appreciate your input, fella's.