485 transfer to New York city (Interview), Post details

EAD Renewal: NY office or VSC?

Hello,

My I-485 has been transferred to New York. And now I have to apply for an EAD for the third time.

Attorney's office(this is my own and not a company attorney) said I should've applied 6 months in advance and then they would've done it for me. But now that I'm short of time(got 100 days left to go on current EAD) I better do it on my own. (are they learning to be as beauracratic as BCIS or what!)

Anyway, so I'm relying on this board for help.

Should I apply to VSC or to New York office? Since my application has been transferred to Federal Plaza am I still allowed to apply for EAD renewal to Vermont Service Center?

Btw, I'm assuming they do not issue same-day EAD renewals at New York. Is that right?

Please advise.

Thanks.

waiting_f_godot
You have to apply for ead in NY only.You have enough time.(3 months sufficient)I got it on august 1 st.Apply as soon as possible
best of luck
krishnavaran

Where to apply for EAD: Confusing

Krishnavaran,

Thanks for your reply.

At the below BCIS page:
http://www.bcis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/i-765.htm

I also found instructions saying the adjustment of status applicants must apply to service center or local office - wherever case is pending. And I guess my case is pending in NY now.

So, I forwarded the BCIS link to attornye's office to reconfirm where they are asking me to file(earlier they'd said file to service center). And their reply is:

"It is best to file the extension with the main service center because many local offices will not accept an application for renewals unless it was sent by one of the main centers."

So they're repeating that I should file to Vermont. Plus the instructions on the form itself say that c(9) applicants should file to same place where I485 was filed. Thats different than above link which says "where 485 pending".

You obviously filed to NY and they accepted and approved - which is great. But given the above context I'm still confused as to where to file

Is there any one else in similar situation?

Ronny

yes local office

I once called (last year) the national toll free number and I was told to apply where my I-485 is located. This means the local office in your case. But make copies of what you submit.

Tranfer Date.

Hi,

Lucky, my trasfer date was Feb 03, 2003.

For all those whom case was transffered and interview is scheduled:

Does your interview letter says that you are not allowed to leave the country without consulting this office.

Khan123

Re: got transfer notice again after 1 yr

Originally posted by cligman
I thought when I saw an INS letter in my mail box that this is my apoproval notice. But I was very disappointed when I opened the envelop and found out it is actually a transfer notice saying that my file was transferred to INS local office in Dec 6, 2002. I did not expect because I already received a transfer notice in Oct 2001. So now I got 2 trasfer noticed indicating that my file was transferred to 26 Federal plaza to schedule and consuct an interview.

I guess the 2nd Transfer Notice came because I inquiredover the phone about the status of my I-485.

I am not sure which transfer notice is correct: The first one that says my file was transferred in oct 2001 or the one that says my file was transferred in Dec 2002.

Any ideas?
Thanks
By the way,did you get aproved yet????

Interview letter

No, but received another letter from INS indicating I have an interview in Nov. 2003. So it is now promising news.

waiting_f_godot: where did you eventually file the EAD

Hi, waiting_f_godot

Where did you file your EAD eventually and did you get approved?

thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Received EAD

Hi Lucky1234,

I did not see your post/question until just now.

The attorney's office advised me to file at Vermont but I took the advice of people on this board and filed to New York Office.

Was given photograph/finger print appointment for November 5th and received the new EAD in the mail today. In time before the old one expires:)

case still pending...

On january 6 will be 1(one) year since our case was transfered to a NY city office and since that we haven't hear from Immigration.
We just applied for EAD extension this week,ours will expired on march 4.We hope they schedule our interview soon...
We did the EAD renewal by mail,we did not want to do it online.

Tata2003,
Where did you file EAD?
My case transffered to local but my lawyer going to file to VSC.

Thanks

Originally posted by tangonta
Tata2003,
Where did you file EAD?
My case transffered to local but my lawyer going to file to VSC.

Thanks

I sent all the applications (for 4 of us) with pictures,copies of the 2 last EAD,copy of i485 transfer notice and $120 check,all in the separeted envelope with return receipt and certified mail to a New York local office where the files are rigth now.We decided not to use our lawyer this time (he charges $350 each plus immigration fee wich is $120 each,too much money...)We hope hear from them soon...
I got the information on the internet web site that once your case is transfer you have to send the application to where it was transferred.I hope we did the rigth thing and I am sure they forgot about us,so its time for them put their hands on our files.
I mean...almolst 1 year waiting just to be scheduled for a interview...

Need a New York Attorney

Hello,

My I-485 was transferred to the New York office in May 2003.

I suppose that all forms of torture--including the 485 crap--must end sooner or later, and so at some point they will actually schedule my interview.

My current attorney is Sheela Murthy. I retained her when I used AC-21 to switch employers and moved from Boston to New York.

But now, Ms. Murthy said I'll be needing a local attorney who can accompany me to the interview. She suggested that I try:

- Stanley Mailman
- Cyrus Mehta or
- David Grunblatt

Has anyone else had any experience with the above-mentioned attorneys? Or is there another good attorney that someone can recommend?

As always, information appreciated.

Thanks.