485 transfer to New York city (Interview), Post details

Details of interview

Our case got transferred on Nov5, 2002(ND Aug22,2001).EB3 case - both of us on H1B.Both got RFEs - Empl. Letter, Birth Cert. and Medical form.We had hoped that after RFE we will be cleared but then our case got transferred. I went to the federal plaza office to find out the status of our case (in March) but no help there. We recvd interview letters and 2nd FP notice in April. Our 2nd FP notice was for May 31 and interview on 8 July.

Interview:

We reached Fed Plaza 8.00AM. We took our appointment letters and all the documents alongwith photcopies (birth cert,marriage cert,tax returns for last three years,w2 forms,apt lease,joint bank stmt,recent bank stmt,car insurance policy,health insurance,all payslips,employer letter,marriage photos,current utility bills, all approvals like I-140 , EAD).There was a big queue for people without appointment letters. The queue for appointments was short. After entering the appointment room we went to counter 1 where the lady took our fingerprints alongwith our signatures. Around 9.45 we were called for interview by an immigration officer.He took us to his room and asked us to take the oath. He asked for our passports and tore away the I-94s. Then he looked at our file and started the questioning.
Q.How long have you known each other ?
Q. To my wife - What does your husband do?
Q. To me - What does your wife do?
Q.Is there any proof that you guys are married together?
Gave marriage certificate. Showed marriage photographs.
Q. He asked if we had photos of a vacation trip?
We did not bring that.

He stopped and asked why our lawyer was not present with us. We told that our company lawyer was based in MI. He asked whether the lawyer handled marriage cases. We replied that since it was compnay lawyer we were not very sure. Then he asked us to sign waiver forms.

Q. He asked for any other document like apt lease,bank statement?
Gave him lease agreement that did not have my first name.Gave insurance policy, gave bank statement.
Q.How many cars do you have?What is the make of ur car?
Q.Do you have tax returns showing that you filed joint returns?
Gave tax returns for last two years.
Q.Standard questions

He told us our case was transferred because we had married within two years of filing I-485. He also told that usually these cases are done by post but due to marriage it was transferred to NY.
Then he took one of the marriage photos.Photocopies of tax returns,marriage certificate,I-140 approval,insurance policy,bank statement and attached them to our files.

After that he checked for our 2nd FP clearance in his computer.My wife's was missing so she searched by her birth date and found her clearance. Somebody had entered her data wrongly.He took print outs and attached them to our files.

Finally he turned to me and said that he is going to approve my case. He cancelled my visa, took I-94 and stamped my passport. hen he did the same for my wife.

Suggestion:
1. Take all documents with you. The more the merrier.
2. Do not produce extra documents.Just give what you are asked for.
3. Be calm and confident. I know easier said than done but try to relax as much as you can.

Our officer was very nice but very strict. He went by the books but he did not cause any unwanted trouble.

After that we walked out of the office with a heavy sign of relief...Finally the nightmare got over for us...

I hope this information will be helpful for all prospective interviewees. Again wishing you all the best of luck...

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations!! And thank you for posting detailed account of your interview, Parij!

Best wishes,

Jigesh

Transfer

Yes, when my case was transferred from VSC to NYC, I received a letter indicating that my file was transfer to NY, NY ofice to schedule an interview or take another action on my case.

So please go in person to Garden City Office or 26 Federal Plaza and check your status if you haven't received status information after transfer. Congressmen Chuck Schumer is extremely helpful if you get no response from INS.

This interview is the final one I was told and most likely a decision will be made about your case within 1 month from the interview date. If you are missing a document at the interview 30 days will be granted to you to submit it.

Regarding Medical, the list of Documents Required that INS sent me indicated clearly:

If you already submitted Medical Forms with I-485 filing, then there is no need to resubmit.

But my lawyer told me to bring them in a sealed envelope anyway.

I hope this is helpful.

Thanks

Do you know if any one's case has been transferred to NY local office..recently ..I know a lot of cases got transferred locally last year end...and before feb this year and then since the NY local processing time was real long ...I thought they stopped transferring cases to NYC .

I want to know if any cases are still being transferred to NYC

Thanks and any help is appretiated..

received interview letter
Me and my wife received interview letters with refinger printing schedule.They also sent medical forms.I don't know if i have to redo it.Also some other documents like marriage certificate ,bank statement ,affidavit of support letter.etc.Interview is shceduled for May 2004.It also states we have talk to the office if we have to go to other countries.We applied for AP.I don't know if we could go?.Anybody knows?
RD 10/29/01
TD 02/18/03
Interview sheduled 05/2004
approval date?

I got the interview letter also ...

My case was tranferred to NYC on 3rd Feb, 2003. My interview is scheduled for May 2004 at 26 Fedral Plaza. They asked for following:

1. Phote Identification
2. I-94
3. Birth ceritificates
4. Marriage certification
5. Employment letters
6. Tax returns for last 3 years.
7. Evidence that you and your spouse are really married.
8. Two 2 X 2 Phots. They said 4 are better.
9. Update I-864 form. Affidavit of support.
10. I-693. Medical Exam.

in addition I also got another appointment for finger prints. All requested info was on very poor quality photo copy so it looks like they just arttach this standard list with ever interview appointment. I am willing to share a copy.

Feel free to ask any other questions you may have.

Khan123.

Petitioner and Beneficiary taxes

Mine says "Tax returns for the last 3 years from the Petitioner and Beneficiary"

Does yours say the same? Is the Petitioner = Employer and Beneficiary = Applicant?

I will try to ask my employer to give me the federal and state taxes for the last 3 years. Although its private info but guess might get it some how from employer.

Thanks for confirming that this is really what is required in additio to my taxes.

Thanks

Tax Returns ..

Mine does not ask for Petitioner's .. Here is the exact wordings ..

-- Fedral, State and local income tax returns for the last 3 years. Submit the signed and dated returns and proof of filing with IRS. --

Khan

Different requirements for I-485 interview!!!!

Khan, we have a different set of requirements. My requirements are more!!

What about the employer letter specification? Is it required to have a salary rate, date of birth and how many dependents you claim?

Thanks

Is it true that interview scheduled in Garden City is much faster than in 26 Federal Plaza?

I am currently in Long Island. Because Garden City is in Long Island, will my case be transfered in Garden City?

I did my FP in New York city.

Thank you for your answer.

Emplyment letter ..

Once again .. Here is the exact text ..

-- Employment letters from both petitioner's and beneficiary's emplyees. Emp letter must be on a company letterhead. The letter must state date employment began, salary,marital status,dependants claimed and whom to notify in case of emergency. An official of the firm/company must sign the letter with a contact phone number. The latest two paystubs/statements must also be submitted. --

For GC_Febwait ...

Hi, I live in Long Island as well. Levittown. Even my employer is in Long Island. But my interview is scheduled for New York.

I can't say if the interview in Long Island are faster. I received the letter on 1st of August, 2003. Interview is in May, 2004.

Hope this helped.

IRS Requirements Are the only difference

IRS Requirements Are the only difference

khan, thank you again.

I lived on L.I. all the time and yet my interview is in Oct. 2003. I received the interview letter in May 2003. So there is 5 months difference between these 2 dates. That's a long time although I have been living on Long Island!

Khan, yes the employment letter specification is EXACTLY like mine.

The Taxes requirements is the only difference I can see so far. Here are the EXACT wording:

"
6) Federal, State and local income tax returns for the last 3 years from the Petitioner and beneficiary. Submit the signed and dated returns and all W-2 statements and/or 1099 statements for theses returns.

-7) IRS form I722 or IRS printout for the past 3 years from the Petitioner and beneficiary. IRS printout must be provided even if taxes were not filed."

I didn't see number 7 in your response. This is why I say they are different.

Thanks

Transfer date - Krishnavaran, Khan123, cligman

Krishnavaran, Khan123, Cligman,

Do you mind sharing your transfer date? My case is transferred on July 28, 2003 and I have not heard anything. I guess I won't until a few months later? What if I need to move recently? Any suggestion would be appreciated.

lucky1234
My case was transferred on February 18 /2003.It took around 5 months to get the interview letter. Interview is after 9 months.(MAY 10TH 2004).
krishnavaran