4 years 9 months calculation start date for N400

pdjune2001

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I have a quick question :

For the purpose of calculating the 4 years 9 months wait period for N400 application from an employment-based GC, which day is the start date of this period :

The date marked on the physical Green Card OR
Some other earlier date of I485 approval / notice ? If this, where can I get this date ?

Thanks

This begins on the date on which you are granted permanent LPR status. It is indicated as your "Resident since" date on your GC, but CIS can make mistakes, so make sure this corresponds roughtly to a few days/weeks prior to when you were sent your GC.

Hi,

I have a quick question :

For the purpose of calculating the 4 years 9 months wait period for N400 application from an employment-based GC, which day is the start date of this period :

The date marked on the physical Green Card OR
Some other earlier date of I485 approval / notice ? If this, where can I get this date ?

Thanks

Calculations starts from the date on your GC. To be safe of not submitting earlier than (5 years - 90 days), which may result in rejection, it is better to wait for a few days more, for example, submit your documents less than 85 days before your GC's 5th anniversary.

don't use residence since if it has an error

My GC has 7/8/09 as residence date, but that's the date they received my I-485. My GC was approved on 9/21/12. I just filed my N-400 on 7/17/12 (PD 7/23/12). I used the 3 years minus 90 days rule using the date of approval of my I-485. Please ensure you use the date you were approved or a date closer to when you received the physical GC. Had I used 7/8/12 minus 90 days my N-400 would be denied right from the start.

Don't use residence since date, if it has an error.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's just the Resident Since date on your plastic is incorrect. Usually that date is when your petition was approved.