4 year + 1 day rule... Clarification needed.

solid_traveling

Registered Users (C)
I have read about the 4 year +1 day rule, to use the rule for eligibility for n400 application, (to use 364 days of ur stay abroad towards ur residency requirements for naturalization, if u have a re-entry permit) , is it necessary to have had resided in america for a year or more (i secured the re-entry permit before my leaving for my native for my 23 month stay abroad for college) before u go abroad for more than a year( and less than 2 years) to be able to use the 4 year +1 day rule ?

Sorry I made you worried, buddy. Did you search the forum? I remember reading it somewhere, if I'm not mistaken. Let me see if I can find the posting. I hope I don't find it, because that means you're oke.

Sorry I made you worried, buddy. Did you search the forum? I remember reading it somewhere, if I'm not mistaken. Let me see if I can find the posting. I hope I don't find it, because that means you're oke.

thanks, i was wondering if there is such a rule, that needs u to be a resident for a year or more like that for n470, application to preserve residence for naturalization purpose ( i wouldnt be able to do that anyway as i dont fall under the category for n470).

if thats the case, its actually how they define being 'Resident' that would be in question, it will be over a year or residency (as far as the gc issue date is concerned) but for physical presence it would be 176 days (4 days short of 6 months)....one rep at the uscis 1800 number told me , u should be a 'resident' for 6 months, i aint sure what of the above is how he defines 'residence' with. and i dont know where he gets that information, its not in the guide to naturalization. everybody says that the m476 is like the bilble for the naturalization process...

I have read about the 4 year +1 day rule, to use the rule for eligibility for n400 application, (to use 364 days of ur stay abroad towards ur residency requirements for naturalization, if u have a re-entry permit) , is it necessary to have had resided in america for a year or more (i secured the re-entry permit before my leaving for my native for my 23 month stay abroad for college) before u go abroad for more than a year( and less than 2 years) to be able to use the 4 year +1 day rule ?
No, you are confusing it with N-470 which has a one-year physical presence requirement for eligibility.